Gelatin floaters....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deltaav8er

Reaction score
All,

I decided to try gelatin after reading many posts about the clearing effects. I followed all of the suggestions and soaked 3/4 tsp of gelatin finings from my lhbs (I know I should have just bought plain gelatin from walmart) for one hour then heated using short microwave bursts to achieve 160f while stirring between each burst. I then cooled to 90f and pitched to a 43f secondary carboy of NB Carbou Slobber. Now 48 hours later at a constant temp of 36f I have a carboy with many floaters about the size of a bb throughout the beer (mostly towards the top). Is this the normal gelatin process and will this settle out in a day or more at cold crashing temps or do I need to consider other options?

All,

I decided to try gelatin after reading many posts about the clearing effects. I followed all of the suggestions and soaked 3/4 tsp of gelatin finings from my lhbs (I know I should have just bought plain gelatin from walmart) for one hour then heated using short microwave bursts to achieve 160f while stirring between each burst. I then cooled to 90f and pitched to a 43f secondary carboy of NB Carbou Slobber. Now 48 hours later at a constant temp of 36f I have a carboy with many floaters about the size of a bb throughout the beer (mostly towards the top). Is this the normal gelatin process and will this settle out in a day or more at cold crashing temps or do I need to consider other options?
I have the same problem. What did u conclude?

I my experience it is best to add the gelatin before chilling/cold crashing. Let it mix and get all dissolved in the beer throughout the fermenter then chill. Since the beer was that cold already, the gelatin may have gelatinized before it could do its thing.

Latest posts

Back