Gelatin Finings and Dry Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan1979

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently started using gelatin finings. I was wondering if most of you that that use gelatin and dry hops add the hops first then gelatin or vice versa? Or even add both at the same time?

I add mine to the keg so I do dry hops first, the gelatin. Gelatin works better when the beer is cold, so I'd dry hop first, crash it, then add gelatin.

Apologies for resurrecting an old-ish thread but just curious if there's any more thought around this. I'm deciding to use gelatin in the primary (which is currently crashed at 40 going on day 2) now or wait and do it after I dry hop in a secondary... I'm tempted to do it now because I do fear I'll pull some hop aroma out but I'd like the beer to be quite clear.

Any other thoughts or personal experiences here would be greatly appreciated.

I don't feel it strips hop aroma. It's possible people are using too much gelatin. I use about 1/4-1/2tsp. One packet is way too much.

I'll never do gelatin after dry hop. It strips considerable amount of aroma.

This has been my experience as well. If you are trying to get rid of the haze that dry hopping can cause, then, of course, you have no choice but to fine after dry hopping. I have a number of time used gelatin and then added the dry hops and there is a haze that is added back, but in a hoppy beer that is almost expected. If you do dry hop and the add gelatin and find it strips out flavor and aroma....dry hop with more hops next time.

It certainly will strip aroma, happens every time to me. I have stopped using gelatin on my IPA's. The "brewing" gelatin I use only calls for 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons and I can smell the loss after 2 days. Lack of clarity is not a flaw in a dryhopped beer, so why go through the trouble to add aroma, then strip it away?

_

I did gelaitn on dry hopped beer and it seemed fine to me. Clarity takes time or hooves. Both probably reduce aroma. At least gelaitn is quicker.

Back