Gelatin and Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOVA Brewer

Reaction score
I have the second iteration of my pale ale in the primary, ready to go into the secondary tomorrow or the next day. I dry hop for four days with one ounce of Cascade, but I also bought some Knox gelatin to start using in my paler beers that I would like to see clearer.

My question is this: where in the condition process do the gelatin and dry hopping fall? Dry hop, then throw in the gelatin? Vice versa? Should I not use gelatin to clear a dry-hopped ale?

Not sure about the dry hopping but when I do gelatin I always put it in the secondary first and then transfer the berr on top of it. This way it gets stirred into the beer without me having to sitr it at all.

I've always added the gelatin as a last step, since it goes with the cold crash. However, now that you mention it, it's quite sensible to add the dry hops after the gelatin, if you don't mind warming back up after a cold crash.

The hops do not really fall so much. If you use whole hops, most or all of them will just float around on the top. If you use pellets, some will sink and some will float. After a couple days, you can gently rock the carboy a little, and most will sink.

TL

a dry hopped beer is going to end up a little hazy because of the dry hops. if you want it to be clear then i'd dry hop, remove the hops, and then do the gelatin.

Chill haze does not necessarily follow from dry hopping. I dry hop fairly often and get no chill haze. You just have to use a protein rest, finings, or some patience in your conditioning.

TL

Back