GE Fridge Carboy conversion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChiN8

Reaction score
I found a GE fridge; Serial #ff308007, I believe the seller says it is 4.3 CU fridge.

Has the freezer bin/drawer on the top, and compressor on the bottom. I see dozens of Fridgaire conversions for kegerators or carboys...

But does anyone know if this fridge can be converted at all into storing a 5 gal Carboy/Ale Pail?

Can I fold the freezer bottom down? The fridge is selling for $50 and I ain't bout to spend much more on top of that, this is just something to compete against the North Carolina heat.

I found a GE fridge; Serial #ff308007, I believe the seller says it is 4.3 CU fridge.

Has the freezer bin/drawer on the top, and compressor on the bottom. I see dozens of Fridgaire conversions for kegerators or carboys...

But does anyone know if this fridge can be converted at all into storing a 5 gal Carboy/Ale Pail?

Can I fold the freezer bottom down? The fridge is selling for $50 and I ain't bout to spend much more on top of that, this is just something to compete against the North Carolina heat.

You can fold the freezer plate down, but you have to be careful when doing it.

I have a 4.3 ft^3 GE fridge converted into a kegerator and I bent the plate down. I don't know if I could get a carboy in there, though. I can check to see tonight if you want.

Here's my kegerator thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/kegerator-conversion-ge-smr04dasbcs-143712/

I'm sorry to say that your fridge will NOT hold a carboy.

The problem is that hump at the back that covers the compressor. It does not leave enough room between the hump and the door for a carboy to sit all the way down on the floor, so you would have to make a shelf right above the hump for the carboy to sit on.

But once you do that, there is not enough height in the fridge for a carboy.

You can fold the freezer plate down, but you have to be careful when doing it.

I have a 4.3 ft^3 GE fridge converted into a kegerator and I bent the plate down. I don't know if I could get a carboy in there, though. I can check to see tonight if you want.

Here's my kegerator thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/kegerator-conversion-ge-smr04dasbcs-143712/

did the carboy fit? i just bought one so i can continue to brew in the boston heat this summer. i need to find a way to get a bucket or 5+ gal carboy into it. i have to, no going back now. it was a craigslist buy. know any threads i can check?

Not knowing exactly what model you have...

In college (long time ago) we converted a similar fridge into a kegerator that would hold 1/2 and 1/4 barrels. We did something similar to Walkers Thread with the coils and cut them along one end, making sure not to puncture the humps and bent it around the sides. Additionally the way we got around the compressor bulging into the inside was we removed it and remounted it further back on a piece of wood mounting it all back to the support of the fridge. Then we sawsalled the the platic out of the back where the hump was and used some tin and spray foam to seal it. It was a little fragile to move around but worked for a number of years afterwards.

Back