Gawd Blammit....(keezer died)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
Merry flipping christmas...........

Got home from a 5 day West Virginia family visit, to find my keezer sitting at 72F.........hotter than the damned room.

Apparently, whatever the dying thing was doing to try and "Cool", was actually making heat.

5 pretty full cornies now on the back porch, 1 empty(all sprouting MOLD :().......to craigslist I go!

How old was it?

I fear that chest freezers aren't designed for how we've been using them and that there will be a rash of "help, my keezer died!!!" posts over the next couple of years as it seems tons of us made keezers in the past few years.

IT WAS old.

$50 On craigslist 2 years ago.....15.5 cu ft :(

Glad I didn't make a "build" but what else can we use?

Those big tubs with the rope handles from Ace hardware or elsewhere (can't remember the size - 15g, maybe 25-30g).

Fill with ice and it'll submerge the kegs about half way. Dispense with picnics taps and the CO2 tank outside of the tub. You can fit ~3 corney kegs in each tub. It's quite a common sight at homebrew serving events....

Yes, for events......but what about at home? Constant ice bath sounds a little clunky.

It is fricking cold outside! Considering doing a build for my window and keeping the kegs outside, lol.

Yes, for events......but what about at home? Constant ice bath sounds a little clunky.

It is fricking cold outside! Considering doing a build for my window and keeping the kegs outside, lol.

Sounds like a sucky end to your Christmas. I'd be mad as hell.
If I had a spare, I'd hook ya up.

And yes,... It's freakin' cold outside right now.

pb

You could always pick up an office fridge w/o a freezer compartment. A fridge would probably make a better beer cooler as that's closer to the intended purpose than a freezer.

I have 6 kegs.

Pretty sure freezers work fine. I got 2 years out of this old girl, and it appeared to already be 20 years old or so.

I have 6 kegs.

Pretty sure freezers work fine. I got 2 years out of this old girl, and it appeared to already be 20 years old or so.

OK. :) I was just offering an alternate suggestion based on the statement to the effect that we're not using them as designed. :) I, too, use a chest freezer, so I'm always worried that I'm going to burn out the compressor or something.

Sorry for your loss CD. On a lighter note where in WV do you have family? I grew up on the Ohio side of the river near Wheeling, my wife went to WVU and I spend about a week a month working in WV.

Sorry for your loss CD. On a lighter note where in WV do you have family? I grew up on the Ohio side of the river near Wheeling, my wife went to WVU and I spend about a week a month working in WV.

Charleston. OK town

Back