Gas stove filthy after a brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treacheroustexan

Reaction score
Any tips on preventing this? I am boiling on my gas stove, but every time afterwards, my stove is filthy. It's not a big deal to scrub it but it's just a PITA. Can I line it with foil or something? Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciate. Oh, I am renting by the way so I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible :p

stove.jpg

Wait until you have a good boil over!!!

Lining with foil sounds like a good idea. Or get a propane burner and move your brewing outside.

Wait until you have a good boil over!!!

Lining with foil sounds like a good idea. Or get a propane burner and move your brewing outside.

Luckily no boil overs yet haha. If I ever did I don't even know what I would do. Would love to move outside but not an option right now!

I used to line with foil. Didn't really help. Still had residue under it every time. Well worth just buying a burner and moving outside cause it'll eventually stain that stovetop and be really tough to get out.

I used to line with foil. Didn't really help. Still had residue under it every time. Well worth just buying a burner and moving outside cause it'll eventually stain that stovetop and be really tough to get out.

I have a glass top stove which works with extract and 3 gallon BIAB. It is ALWAYS a mess when I finish. Much worse than pictured in the OP.

Any tips on preventing this? I am boiling on my gas stove, but every time afterwards, my stove is filthy. It's not a big deal to scrub it but it's just a PITA. Can I line it with foil or something? Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciate. Oh, I am renting by the way so I'm trying to keep it as clean as possible :p

Yah, Don't brew beer........

It's not the mess I fear ... it's the wifes reaction :(

It was better for all involved that I bought a kettle and burner and removed myself from HER kitchen.

There's a thread somewhere around here that has a concoction that's supposed to make it easier to get those scorches up. I think it involved baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and or dish soap, but I wouldn't swear to it.

Back when I brewed on the stove top, I found that (barring boilover) it was most important to make sure the surface was clean BEFORE I started brewing.

Any sort of residue from cooking (starch from pasta, oil or grease spots, even poorly rinsed cleaners) would get burned on or mix with the condensation dripping of my pot and then get burned on to the stove top. It would look pretty much exactly like your pic.

I found that oven cleaner worked well, but burned that shiat out of my hands and nose. A soak with Barkeeper's friend didn't hurt as much and was almost as good. Still gotta scrub hard, though.

There's a thread somewhere around here that has a concoction that's supposed to make it easier to get those scorches up. I think it involved baking soda, hydrogen peroxide and or dish soap, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I started that thread! Trust me, my stove is FILTHY. I brew twice a week, every week. Once a month I use this to get all the crap off my stove. As we speak I have it sitting on my stove ready to be cleaned when I'm home.

Baking soda & peroxide - just add enough peroxide to make a slightly water paste. Drizzle it onto the scorched wort, and leave it for at least 2-3 hours. You will see the power of this mxiture immediately when you drip it on, youll see the black crap leaching out. I usualyl leave it overnight and clean it up the next morning. Super cheap and super easy. I've tried every single other remedy and this is by far the most effective. Comet, bleach, barkeeprs friend, scurbbing bubbles, didnt come close. Plus this doesnt involve any hard scubbing with steel wool to mess up your stove

It's not the mess I fear ... it's the wifes reaction :(
I'm not afraid of heights or even of falling... it's just the landing at the end.

I remember my uncle used to wipe dish detergent on the bottom of any pots that were to be used over the camp fire. This prevnted the soot from bonding to the pot. Maybe a similar technique would assist in the cleanup?

yeah, I give 90% of it away. Made lots of friends. Even got all my friends to help me move in a few weeks

I use oven cleaner. Spray it on and let it sit for an hour. 99% of the crud will just dissolve and then you can take a piece of stiff plastic to the rest.

I brew outside, but I do my starters indoors on the stove. I typically just halt everything and wipe it up IMMEDIATELY upon making the mess. Sounds like a pain, but it is less work and less time than letting it bake onto the surface before cleaning.

Looking at that first picture, the worst I've ever had my stove look has a black layer, twice as thick as that, with ashen bubbles here and there, covering about 80% of the indented burner squares. Somehow even managed to get a good bit on the raised middle portion too. Ive gone through 2 boxes of those fridge baking soda fresheners this week. I just swap a new one in my fridge and use the old one with the hydroxide

I started that thread! Trust me, my stove is FILTHY. I brew twice a week, every week. Once a month I use this to get all the crap off my stove. As we speak I have it sitting on my stove ready to be cleaned when I'm home.

Baking soda & peroxide - just add enough peroxide to make a slightly water paste. Drizzle it onto the scorched wort, and leave it for at least 2-3 hours. You will see the power of this mxiture immediately when you drip it on, youll see the black crap leaching out. I usualyl leave it overnight and clean it up the next morning. Super cheap and super easy. I've tried every single other remedy and this is by far the most effective. Comet, bleach, barkeeprs friend, scurbbing bubbles, didnt come close. Plus this doesnt involve any hard scubbing with steel wool to mess up your stove

Fingers crossed this advice still holds. I had a boilover a couple of weeks ago, and both my wife and I have had a miserable time getting the scorched crud scrubbed out. Smaller drips haven't been an issue in the past, but this one really got baked in. :(

So I'll try this baking soda and peroxide technique, and if that works I guess it's onto Barkeepers Friend (have to buy some) and then over cleaner? Anything else to try out? Has anyone had anything so baked in they literally couldn't remove it? My wife is not pleased right not, to say the least. (She's been generally supportive of this new hobby as a whole, so I'd like to keep it that way!)

Fingers crossed this advice still holds. I had a boilover a couple of weeks ago, and both my wife and I have had a miserable time getting the scorched crud scrubbed out. Smaller drips haven't been an issue in the past, but this one really got baked in. :(

So I'll try this baking soda and peroxide technique, and if that works I guess it's onto Barkeepers Friend (have to buy some) and then over cleaner? Anything else to try out? Has anyone had anything so baked in they literally couldn't remove it? My wife is not pleased right not, to say the least. (She's been generally supportive of this new hobby as a whole, so I'd like to keep it that way!)

I've had basically the entire recessed burner surface completely black before. That time it took 2 applications to get it mostly gone. A third probably couldve done all the way, but I had to brew the next day. Plus, id just get it dirty again anyway

Here's what I use on the enamel surface, oven cleaner. Spray it on cold and let it sit for a couple hours.

Tin foil to protect the top around the burners.

Back