Gas Line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyRaygun

Reaction score
Q1: Does the gas line need to be cleaned and sanitized?

Q2: I was reading the tech sheet on PBW at the Five Star website and was curious what they mean by "Circulation Cleaning" because it goes on to say the water temp must be 130° to 180° for 30 minutes. As a result I'm wondering if i didn't clean my equipment long enough.

Are you talking about the gas supply on a kegging setup? If so, I don't think I've ever sanitized the tubing itself. I usually dip my quick disconnects in sanitizer whenever I change out a keg though.

Yes sir. The gas line into the keg. I read about bad tasting beer and the importance of cleaning and sanitizing. I might be over thinking this, but I thought I may need to clean and sanitize the gas line to minimize odors or kill any micro particles that may be in the tube. Maybe not, but my thought is that the gas would blow these things into the beer?

Again, I'm probably over thinking this.

It wouldn't hurt anything and it could give you extra peace of mind, but I don't know that it's necessary. As long as the tubing is new and doesn't look dirty when you first set it up, I doubt you'll have any problems. I know I haven't and I've been kegging for about six or seven years. The CO2 flows through fairly slow too.

Back