Gas Burner vs. Stove Top = Amazing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odonnpj

Reaction score
Today I brewed my 3rd batch of beer. I have been making small purchases to make the process more efficient. I purchased a dark star burner...and i have to say... It rocks. before i was using a glass stove top and it would take hours to get the pot to a boil on high. And even once i achieved boil it was not a strong rapid boil. But this beautiful burner made things so much faster and efficient. I also purchased an immersion chiller which i'm looking forward to using.

Aside from these two simple upgrades, is there any other equipment outside of a basic kit that you all recommend to enhance the quality of the brewing process? Also, in due time I would like to start trying AGB, but for now I want to master simple extract brewing. Is there any equipment overlap upgrades you can think of? Below is a list of equipment I use:

5 gallon kettle
Dark star burner
immersion chiller
5 Gallon Bucket fermeter & airlock
5 Gallon glass carboy & airlock
5 gallon bottling bucket
Bottling wand
auto siphon
hydrometer
Brewers Friend (just started using this today)
Thermometer

A spray bottle full of premixed Starsan for quick sanitizing and some PBW for clean up help keep your cleaning practices tight.

Today I brewed my 3rd batch of beer. I have been making small purchases to make the process more efficient. I purchased a dark star burner...and i have to say... It rocks. before i was using a glass stove top and it would take hours to get the pot to a boil on high. And even once i achieved boil it was not a strong rapid boil. But this beautiful burner made things so much faster and efficient. I also purchased an immersion chiller which i'm looking forward to using.

Aside from these two simple upgrades, is there any other equipment outside of a basic kit that you all recommend to enhance the quality of the brewing process? Also, in due time I would like to start trying AGB, but for now I want to master simple extract brewing. Is there any equipment overlap upgrades you can think of? Below is a list of equipment I use:

5 gallon kettle
Dark star burner
immersion chiller
5 Gallon Bucket fermeter & airlock
5 Gallon glass carboy & airlock
5 gallon bottling bucket
Bottling wand
auto siphon
hydrometer
Brewers Friend (just started using this today)
Thermometer
Fermentation temperature control of some type.
Better Thermometer if yours is slow to react or not accurate (check it with boiling water and ice that has melted to half ice and half water)
Consider getting a 5 gallon paint strainer bag and doing a partial mash using your 5-gallon pot
Pond pump to recirculate ice water instead of tap water for your immersion chiller (particularly important if you have warm tap water or brew outside in REALLY cold temperatures)
Yeast starter equipment which can be as simple as a growler and foam stoper or as complex as you want it to be

Back