"Garlicky" hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TasunkaWitko

Reaction score
Can anyone list some hops that have a garlicky, Italian-herbal quality about them?

My son and I were driving around this afternoon and came across them growing at the edge of an old property. We saw them earlier this summer when they were green, and as I recalled they had a spicy, peppery aroma with maybe a little pine (I could be wrong).

Now, however, they are dried out and brownish, and smell mostly of garlic and possibly bay leaf, basil and oregano.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Can anyone list some hops that have a garlicky, Italian-herbal quality about them?

My son and I were driving around this afternoon and came across them growing at the edge of an old property. We saw them earlier this summer when they were green, and as I recalled they had a spicy, peppery aroma with maybe a little pine (I could be wrong).

Now, however, they are dried out and brownish, and smell mostly of garlic and possibly bay leaf, basil and oregano.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

That is quite normal with any hop variety that is past their prime. It is not necessarily specific to one or another.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Cluster or nugget would be my (wild) guess. The garlickyness is probably also oxidation/cheesyness mixed with an herbal hop.

I found some wild ones when I lived in Upstate NY back in the late 80's that gave that exact character to the beer I brewed with them. That 'garlic/onion' character seems to develop in many varieties of hops with N. American genes when they're picked on the late side. At an MBAA meeting last Saturday one of the presenters mentioned that they even found some Cascades recently with that character so I guess it can happen to other varieties also.

I've found that Centennial definitely goes oniony/garlicky past its prime.
This was found from leaving a few dozen cones on the bines and scrunching a couple every few days after harvesting. After a couple of weeks it's real easy to pick up - not subtle at all...

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back