Garlic.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is anyone passionate about garlic?

I eat it and grow it. I have 5 different types on the go.
I eat it raw roasted sauted minced and I dry it.

Not doing garlic beer though.

It's one of my favorite spices. I like to soak it in olive oil, roast it in the oven and smear it on toasted baguette slices.

I grew about 40 lbs this past year. I am growing mostly Rocambole, (4 types) and one type of soft neck. So I do love Garlic :D. This coming year's crop has been in the ground since November. I highly recommend "Growing Great Garlic" for anyone interested in growing Garlic.

At first I was like "What the heck am I going to do with it all!?!". Until I tasted the Hardneck varieties, and that was an amazing turning point in my understanding of the usefulness of Garlic. The flavor is so much better than the Softneck imo, (which a lot of it is grown in China btw). So I expanded my crop this year.

I don't grow it, but I do buy it in bulk (fresh...not the crappy pre-minced or pre-peeled stuff).

Once I learned the art of the garlic paste (fresh garlic smashed and ground into a paste with the aid or some salt), I started putting it in everything. I need to roast some heads today, actually.

I used to be very passionate about it until I had kids and cooking for them is just too hard and they are not fans of the stuff.

Had garlic ice cream at the garlic festival. It was pretty nasty. I have had garlic beer but only beer with garlic in it not made with it.

I wouldn't say I'm passionate about it, but I do use it much more often than the average cook probably does. I am a lover of Italian food, and garlic is of course a very common ingredient there.

Another garlic freak here. I just buy it at the store and have SWMBO do stuff with it. Around here, SWMBO likes to cook, so I mostly stay out of her way and do the dishes.
Could be worse.

Nope, I like it, but it's like brewing, I'll do a bunch, then nothing for months.

Should you ever get to San Fransisco, hit "The Stinking Rose" near Fisherman's Wharf. Start the meal with garlic bread. A pan of garlic cloves in olive oil, just tender enough to spread on the bread.

I love it too. SWMBO isn't a huge fan when I sweat the next day and it smells like garlic, but it's worth it.

orfy said:
Is anyone passionate about garlic?

I eat it and grow it. I have 5 different types on the go.
I eat it raw roasted sauted minced and I dry it.

Not doing garlic beer though.

I grow around 40-50lbs each year in my garden as well! Next to a good beer NOTHING goes better with anything/everything than Garlic! I grill, roast, pickle, dry, etc. We even traveld out to New York state last fall for this: http://www.hopefarm.com/garlic.htm. If you love garlic this is an awesome event. I even thought this would tandem with a brew fest very well.

My wife is Korean. We eat raw garlic with BBQ. Garlic in kimchee. Roasted Garlic stuffed with raw garlic and garlic relish with a nice garlic remoulade.

I buy large tubs of it from Costco, already peeled and ready to go. I throw a bunch into a casserole dish in the oven, drizzled with a little olive oil. I roast it for an hour or so, and then mash it up and mix it with some butter and spread it on a big crusty loaf of bread.

Just like many of the rest of you, it appears on almost everything I cook.

david_42 said:
Should you ever get to San Fransisco, hit "The Stinking Rose" near Fisherman's Wharf. Start the meal with garlic bread. A pan of garlic cloves in olive oil, just tender enough to spread on the bread.

I've been here and the food is amazing! I actually organized a sales meeting dinner at the Stinking Rose and we all had to live in our garlic smell for the whole meeting the next morning, but no one complained about dinner!

In our house garlic goes in everything we cook. We will have to try to grow garlic this year... I've got just the spot!

mr_stimey said:
Garlic is essential in 90% of my cooking! I am obsessed.

+1 I love garlic in pretty much everything especially using garlic,olive oil and soy sauce for Crust Flavoring on my homemade pizza.

Melana said:
We will have to try to grow garlic this year... I've got just the spot!

It's not hard at all to grow. Just mulch it heavily with straw to keep the moisture levels consistent in the soil and you'll be in business. It goes into the ground before you get a freeze/winter so remember that in you plans.

Yea I hate it. I can tolerate a little of it and will even use some in cooking but less is more for me.

Garlic cloves fried in bacon grease. Delicious.

I don't grow garlic (I live in a flat-no garden area available), but I use at least a bit in most dishes I cook.

I made a stirfry last night with chicken, bok choy, snow peas, spring onions, and shiitake. The sauce was made of chicken stock, Vietnamese fish sauce, brown sugar, water, cornstarch, lime juice, 9 dried peppers, and a ton of fresh pressed garlic. I'm not sure how much garlic as I didn't measure it after pressing, but it was probably about 3-4 tablespoons. I mixed crushed peanut in after it was cooked.

It was pretty good... got leftovers from it for lunch today.

Garlic press!!One of the top 5 inventions ever.

A budy once asked me what I put into my incredible burgers that he loves so much. I got ot "tons of garlic" and he looked horrified.

"What?", I asked.
"IT makes your breath smell bad!" he whined.

I just looked at him like he was criminally stupid for saying such a thing. He shrunk a little and finally stammered that the burgers are pretty damn good.
If you can smell garlic breath on someone, you need to eat more garlic yourself.

I would grow it, but then I'd have to cut back on my pepper plants..........

It is cheap and readilly available at the store, Dorset Nagas, Trinidad Scorpions and 7 pot's are not.

In terms of wine, I think Shiraz or Gewurstraminer would go well with garlicky dishes. Couldn't say for beer.

zoebisch01 said:
At first I was like "What the heck am I going to do with it all!?!". Until I tasted the Hardneck varieties, and that was an amazing turning point in my understanding of the usefulness of Garlic. The flavor is so much better than the Softneck imo, (which a lot of it is grown in China btw). So I expanded my crop this year.

I'm with ya. I don't grow my own garlic, though I probably should. I do anxiously await the arrival of garlic at the farmer's market so I can get the hardneck varieties instead of the crap at the grocery store. It makes a world of difference.

Chad

Chad said:
I'm with ya. I don't grow my own garlic, though I probably should. I do anxiously await the arrival of garlic at the farmer's market so I can get the hardneck varieties instead of the crap at the grocery store. It makes a world of difference.

Chad

THAT"S IT! I am growing some. What is the best hardneck variety?

cheezydemon said:
THAT"S IT! I am growing some. What is the best hardneck variety?

That's kind of like asking what's the best malt :D

There is Spanish Roja, German Red, and oh ton's of varieties. My suggestion would be to swing by http://www.filareefarm.com/ and take a browse over the varieties and look for the flavors you want and more importantly a good variety for your climate. Garlic is a great naturalizer, usually in a few seasons it is fully acclimated to your specific growing conditions.

I'll have to take some pics of some of my remaining cloves. My heads were 2 1/2" on average with 5 to 6 (or so) large cloves. Oh that brings me to the other great thing about Hardneck. Not only is it (in not only my opinion but many) far superior in flavor to Softneck, but it doesn' t have the gazillion tiny little inner cloves. Some of my cloves are as fat as my thumb. And the thing is Softneck is a superior storage garlic, but my Hardneck is still in great shape stored in my basement. So that's already 6 months since harvest.

Back