Gardening: My Tomatoe and Pepper Progress

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the recipe. Because I was using slicing tomatoes the first batch is a little thin, so I added about 2 tablespoons of canned tomato paste to the second batch and it helped. Use freshly-ground black pepper if you have it; it makes a difference, and I generally use a little more than a 1/2 tsp.

Chile Salsa
(from USDA bulletin 539) yield: 6 to 8 pints

5 pounds tomatoes
2 pounds chile peppers
1 pound onions, chopped
1 cup vinegar (5%)*
3 tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper

Roast and peel peppers if they have tough skins (not necessary for jalapeños or serranos), remove seeds and stems, chop. Scald and peel tomatoes; chop. Combine all ingredients in large saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 minutes. Ladle into pint jars, leave 1/2 inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

*Notes: I generally use jalapeños, seeds and all, and I find that ½ cup bottled lemon juice plus ½ cup white vinegar tastes better than using all vinegar (or all lemon juice.)
I've used tomato paste to thicken up salsa but a recent salsa recipe I made had a good tip which was to let the tomatoes drain for about 30 minutes in a strainer. Came out decidedly thicker than previously given about the same mix of tomatoes.

Fermenting the last of my chillis, not sure what sauce to do with them. How long do people ferment for? Can you go for a few months?

and where some of my chillis and toms were grown In my little greenhouse, have replaced them with winter salads and garlic. Roll on next year
IMG_20211022_094348383_HDR.jpg
IMG_20211022_171244397_HDR-01.jpeg

Can you go for a few months?

My last one was a year old. Turned out great using the Easy Fermenter lids. I have not tried the vacuum bag method yet but as long as it had enough salt and the bag aint ready to pop you should be fine to let it ride.

Fermenting the last of my chillis, not sure what sauce to do with them. How long do people ferment for? Can you go for a few months?

and where some of my chillis and toms were grown In my little greenhouse, have replaced them with winter salads and garlic. Roll on next year
View attachment 746554View attachment 746553
I've been fermenting in jars with air locks anywhere from 1-3 months. Tabasco ferments theirs's in barrels for 3 years, with special runs up to 5 years!!

I have never heard of fermenting in vacuum bags before. I'm gonna have to study up on that. Seems like a good idea.

Yeah I saw it mentioned I think on the chilichump youtube channel and thought it was worth a go. It didn't expand too much, although obviously I made the bag many times bigger than if I was just vac packing to freeze. Going to try it with fermented beetroot too.

Yeah I saw it mentioned I think on the chilichump youtube channel and thought it was worth a go. It didn't expand too much, although obviously I made the bag many times bigger than if I was just vac packing to freeze. Going to try it with fermented beetroot too.
Recently discovered the ChiliChump and have watched a bunch, but mostly on growing and not much on fermenting. I'll have to explore further down his list!

I've been out of the country for a couple of months but a friend has been staying at my house, tending the first garden he's ever had in his 65 years on earth. We exchanged emails today, apparently my tomatoes are still doing fantastic, he has many more than he can eat. He also expressed mild irritation that my jalapenos never developed any heat at all, something I noticed before we left but I still don't understand. Unfortunately he's gonna have to turn the water off to the garden soon, before the hard freezes start hitting. |Still, even having left 2 months before my gardening season ended I'm happy. I canned 13 quarts and 10 pints of tomato sauce the day before we left, I've got at least 10 pounds of peeled and blanched carrots in the freezer, and we ate all the veggies we could stand this summer. And, above all, I have 4 very well established varieties of hops growing in the garden.

I've been out of the country for a couple of months but a friend has been staying at my house, tending the first garden he's ever had in his 65 years on earth. We exchanged emails today, apparently my tomatoes are still doing fantastic, he has many more than he can eat. He also expressed mild irritation that my jalapenos never developed any heat at all, something I noticed before we left but I still don't understand. Unfortunately he's gonna have to turn the water off to the garden soon, before the hard freezes start hitting. |Still, even having left 2 months before my gardening season ended I'm happy. I canned 13 quarts and 10 pints of tomato sauce the day before we left, I've got at least 10 pounds of peeled and blanched carrots in the freezer, and we ate all the veggies we could stand this summer. And, above all, I have 4 very well established varieties of hops growing in the garden.
Grats! Sounds like you have done well, despite having to be gone!

Edit: no one knows why this was posted on this thread, though I did put some homemade hot sauce in my bowl!! lol

It’s been raining, cold, and getting colder here in north Texas today. It’s 47° F at the moment and headed for the mid 30’s tonight. So I made a big pot of potato soup! :)

091602E4-3E0B-4C7B-BBCB-E76FA76B2545.jpeg

Last edited:
Heavy frosts hit here in PA this week, 3 nights in a row. I didn't have time to go out and do a final harvest due to heavy rains over the weekend. Time to clean her out. :(

Like minds :) I am planning some raised beds for next year too, though probably several smaller ones rather than a big garden. Interested in what you are planning if you will share when you get a chance.

Guess what I'm doing this weekend :)

Decided to put a single 4'x12' bed in my side yard. 16" deep. I'll sneak a second one in after the wife gets over the shock of this one.

1638631823865.png

I am thinking of starting some rocoto peppers soon as they can take a while to germinate and the plants themselves are supposed to take quite a while to ripen. Already got some extra grow lights and a spare inkbird for controlling the heat mats. The rest I wont start untill late january/early february. Has anyone done this out of interest, or have experience of growing rocotos?

What is everyone planning to grow next year?

Chilis:
Albertos' Locoto
Rocoto Manzano
Chilaca
Lemon Drop
Jalapeno M
biquinho
Ring of Fire
Pepperoncini Orange
Serano

And I've also got far too many tomato varieties, I'm sure I'll find space somewhere....

I think I am going to try and overwinter my hab plant since it was just amazing this year. I have a bunch of seeds to start including some scotch bonnet, poblano, a jamaican red pepper, my chile pepper institute pasilla and the not hot red and orange habs, etc. Not idea what all I will get in the ground. Going to do some speckled butter beans as well, and maybe some climbing beans of some kind.

P.S. I found some very old Dorset Naga seed that a friend gave me many years ago. They got misplaced but finally turned up. I seriously doubt any will germinate, but I am going to give them a try!

Put together my first raised planter. It's a noah's ark of stuff - various peppers, tomatoes, herbs, etc. I just put a soaker hose in there and a timer. If this works out (i.e., lots of peppers produced) I'm gonna build a few more of these.
View attachment 755094
Looks good! I have not done anything on mine yet :( lol
I like the cool corner brackets. Is that treated lumber?

My 6 locotos sown 12th december all germinated, the manzanos have not. I've sown all my other ones on sunday using damp kitchen paper in plastic bags to chit the seeds. Roll on the summer!
IMG_20220111_205540003_HDR.jpg

Looks good! I have not done anything on mine yet :( lol
I like the cool corner brackets. Is that treated lumber?

Yes, treated 2x8x12 lumber. I meant to poly the boards, but was in a hurry to put it together. Might still do the outside to protect from UV.

I got those corner brackets from here. They have all sizes. Lifetime Raised Bed Corners, Set of 2

It's a little early to plant any seeds up here, but it's getting close. I just saved the seeds from a couple of cherry tomatoes that came up in my brother's compost pile in Texas; the tomato vine was over 10 feet long, had no disease whatsoever, and was still producing in December (although it was having trouble ripening the fruit), having shaken off several frosts. I don't even know if the tomatoes are any good, but that kind of hardiness needs to be propagated. If the tomatoes suck, I'll save the seeds again and try using it for rootstock next year.

I did start some mint cuttings about 2 weeks ago, and they've obviously taken root and they are growing. I don't know what kind of mint; I bought a bunch at an Asian market. It looks like peppermint but smells almost like spearmint. They are in a pot under some T8 fluorescent lights.

And I bought a new light fixture a few days ago to use for large plants. It's a 100W (actual watts, not halogen equivalent) LED floodlight. It's a little too soon to tell how that's working but I think the plants under it are growing.

I planted two tomato plants this winter. Both are producing fruit. One is a fairly tidy plant (probably meant for patio gardeners), but the other is a freaking monster - it's taking over my garden. I need to get out and prune that sucker.

Jalapenos, chili peppers, out of control cilantro plant (I didn't know that grew that tall!), basil, parsley. Everything is banging right now. Will get some pics when I get out and work on that tomato plant.

I started tomatillos and peppers way early this year just due to being bored and wanting to see green stuff instead of snow all the time. I have paprika peppers, yolo peppers, sun bright peppers, tabasco pepper, and banana peppers. Also waiting on the ground to thaw out totally so I can plant 4 or so broccoli plants that are all hardened off and ready to plant. We've had snow and very cold days ever since I got them ready to go outside... I'm hoping this last snow we got on Saturday is the last of the season so we can start the serious gardening. Cheers to the season, all.

My peppers have full fledge Aphids :( hope you do better. Temps going up, but will it stay like that, still 6" snow.

Good luck this season everyone. I had a ton of potato beetles last year, so I'm taking a hiatus from everything in the nightshade family this summer. Keep posting your pictures.

My peppers are coming along well, and now I have most of the tomatoes sprouted as well.
Still too cold here to put them outside for another 6 weeks, but I'll move them into the greenhouse next week.

I've got around 200 plants total, about 120 of those have germinated so far. I'll move on to some more veggies in April.

My hot pepper list for 2022:
Antillais Caribbean Habanero
Serrano
Trinidad Hornet
Carolina Reaper Red
Fatalii Mortalii Yellow
Poblano L
Scotch Bonnet MOA Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Satan Strain
APS Jalapeño large Red
Black Bhut Jolokia Pepper
Thai Bird Pepper Seeds
Apocalypse Scorpion Red Pepper Seeds
Tombstone Ghost Pepper Seeds
Firecracker Pequin Pepper Seeds
Purple Death Pepper Seeds
Orion Pepper Seeds

Plus a couple more varieties I overwintered from last year.
This is the first year I'm going to try selling seedlings, may as well since I buy so many seeds. Thats why I have so many plants started.

Attachments

• 20220307_211030.jpg
    20220307_211030.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220307_211103.jpg
    20220307_211103.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
7 days later from sowing and most toms have sprouted, enjoying some spring sunshine with their cousins the peppers

IMG_20220320_150356703.jpg

My peppers are coming along well, and now I have most of the tomatoes sprouted as well.
Still too cold here to put them outside for another 6 weeks, but I'll move them into the greenhouse next week.

I've got around 200 plants total, about 120 of those have germinated so far. I'll move on to some more veggies in April.

My hot pepper list for 2022:
Antillais Caribbean Habanero
Serrano
Trinidad Hornet
Carolina Reaper Red
Fatalii Mortalii Yellow
Poblano L
Scotch Bonnet MOA Yellow
Trinidad Scorpion Moruga Satan Strain
APS Jalapeño large Red
Black Bhut Jolokia Pepper
Thai Bird Pepper Seeds
Apocalypse Scorpion Red Pepper Seeds
Tombstone Ghost Pepper Seeds
Firecracker Pequin Pepper Seeds
Purple Death Pepper Seeds
Orion Pepper Seeds

Plus a couple more varieties I overwintered from last year.
This is the first year I'm going to try selling seedlings, may as well since I buy so many seeds. Thats why I have so many plants started.
Good luck with the selling. Invest it in next year's crop and sell more. More people need to get enthusiastic about local food production. Food being our most valuable currency.

Crap. These little red "Super Chilis" are HOT. They won't be making any funny "girl eats reaper" videos on youtube over them, but lemme tell you they have some nice heat. Lack the citrus of habs and reapers though. I've got a bunch of these growing - not sure what I'll do with them when they all turn
1648076726975.png

As per our usual arrangement, I grew tomatoes and now the Florida insect world is having an orgy in there.

I'm getting some good fruit, both from my beefsteaks and my cherries, but I've got caterpillars eating the leaves and something else (I think) invading some of the fruit. Time to go nuclear I guess. I enjoy eating this stuff right off the vine, but if I want to save these plants I guess I've got to something quickly.

Good news, my pests rarely are interested in the peppers / herbs.
1649201003349.png

I'm using the biocontrol for the caterpillars, some sort of powdered bacteria that you mix up with water, kills them really fast and it's not toxic like many pesticides to other insects.
We tend to get bright green caterpillars down here and they go for the tomatoes and brassica family. End of season for our tomatoes and they'll be pulled up in the next few weeks.
I'm going to try and overwinter the Chilli / pepper plants though.

As per our usual arrangement, I grew tomatoes and now the Florida insect world is having an orgy in there.

I'm getting some good fruit, both from my beefsteaks and my cherries, but I've got caterpillars eating the leaves and something else (I think) invading some of the fruit. Time to go nuclear I guess. I enjoy eating this stuff right off the vine, but if I want to save these plants I guess I've got to something quickly.

Good news, my pests rarely are interested in the peppers / herbs.
View attachment 765115
I am going to try marigolds around my plants this year. They are supposed to be natural insect repellent plants. I just started a whole load of marigolds from seed and will be trying them with my tomatoes.

I've got a dozen tomatoes going - beefsteak, cherry, black krim, cherokee purple and yellow. Those all came up quickly and are doing well so far. They get 12 hours of grow light a day, plus however many hours of daylight coming into the room.
I also have a dozen sets of pepper seeds, though they aren't doing anywhere near as well, I have a cayenne, a jalapeno and a couple Thai chilis up, and possibly one or two others starting to break through. Not sure why they are so slow, I planted them all at the same time, about a month or so ago, same lighting.

Back