Garbage Disposal Broken Help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
Hey, my garbage disposal is broken. At first it would make a buzzing noise as if it was seized or stuck, so with the power on I gave it a few swift bumps with my first and now it acts as if there is no power. No buzzing noise now. Last time it did that, it freed up, it was back to normal operation.

I am going to pull it out, but does anyone have any words of wisdom? Do you think I need to disassemble it ? Or just replace it? I am pretty handy, so I think I can do it, just want to know if anyone has any experience with these. Do you think I just knocked some connection loose inside of it? The outlet definitely has power, I checked.

Its still working just fine. just popped its breaker is all. First. look on the bottom, see that hole in the center? Find a hex wrench of the proper size, stick it in there and spin it backwards a bit to unbind it. now clean out the disposal from the sink. once that is done, on the bottom again, press the small square spot, thats your breaker. All's well!

I've had Popsicle sticks and aquarium rocks jam up the disposal. Sometimes you can dig them out around the edges without taking it apart but sometimes you need to open it up to really see what's in there.

Don't buy a new one yet.

There is usualy a ciircuit breaker on the bottom of the thing. If the GD's motor amperage gets overdrawn, the breaker will pop and open the circuit so an electrical fire doesn't start. This occurs with mine once in awhile and usualy when it happes it's because I tried to grind up to much stuff. I have found a 14mm (yours might be a different size) socket applied on the nut that nut that holds the blades togetner will break the disposal lose or is it loose(?) Once you get the blades spiinning freely again and reset the breaker (there might not be an external CB, could be an internal thermostat)

Everything will work fine. NOTE: Turn Off the "light" switch first!

There is usualy a ciircuit breaker on the bottom of the thing. If the GD's motor amperage gets overdrawn, the breaker will pop and open the circuit so an electrical fire doesn't start. This occurs with mine once in awhile and usualy when it happes it's because I tried to grind up to much stuff. I have found a 14mm (yours might be a different size) socket applied on the nut that nut that holds the blades togetner will break the disposal lose or is it loose(?) Once you get the blades spiinning freely again and reset the breaker (there might not be an external CB, could be an internal thermostat)

Everything will work fine. NOTE: Turn Off the "light" switch first!

Try the hex key port on the bottom ;)

Thanks guys! The little red bottom on the side was the breaker, I had already rotated it internally and it is all good, somehow a small hard piece of plastic jammed it.

I have had them stick before too. If you can't turn the hex key (allen wrench) on the bottom, put a broomstick down the drain and use it to rotate the "grinders" . I have fixed many a garbage disposal with a broomstick!

Back