Garbage can brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UglySister

Reaction score
I moved this post to the newbie section. (I figured that is where it should have been posted.)

I'm going to brew tomorrow and want to use up leftovers. I'm new to brewing and have not brewed without a recipe before. I need suggestions.
List of ingredients on hand:

Plenty of 2 row
1.5 oz 10°-20° crystal
8 oz 30°-40° Crystal
12oz torrified wheat

3.7 oz Cascade
0.7 oz Amarillo
0.5 oz Czech Saaz
0.8 oz Warrior
1.4 oz Tettnanger
1.4 oz N. Brewers
2.0 oz Perle
0.5 oz Styr Golding
1.5 oz Neo
8.2 oz Columbus

Yeasts:
Cbc-1
Safale US-05
3787 Trapping High Gravity
Wyeast's 2035 American Lager

I can pick up something else if needed.

IMG_20170401_085210375.jpg

Well you can make a lager with the 2row and classic noble hops.

You can add the crystal and get Belgian funky with the Trappist

You can make an IPA with the little crystal 20 use the warrior Columbus and northern brewer as bittering hops and Amarillo and cascade towards the end of the boil with us 05 yeast.

I have roughly 9 oz of mixed hops (not including Columbus). My idea is to use them all up at once. But which ones to add when?
I'm leaning towards the US-05 yeast.
Also can I use all the crystal mixed with 2 row for my mash.

I don't think all of those hops would work all in one batch. Especially a 5 gallon batch.
8 oz of Columbus is a big hop bill. You'd need a lot of gravity points to balance that many ibu's.

I'd pick a style and work from that baseline.

yeah, I wasn't thinking of using all the Columbus, but everything else. After to talking with Craig at our LHBS, I've decided to make two brews out of it. (still not using up all the Columbus, my neighbor gave me all those as well as the little bit of Neo and a couple oz of the cascades. They are from his plants)
Im going to use 1 oz of the Columbus for bittering, save 2 oz of Cascade for dry hop and divide the rest, along with the Amarillo and Neo, into three additions @ 10, 5, and 0.

simple 2 row mash with the remaining 1.5 oz of 10-20 Crystal.

US 05

Wow! I hope it mellows out after fermentation. I like hoppy beers, but this wort was tough to swallow. The Columbus seems to be the overwhelming one. That unlikely though since I only added 1 oz. Maybe it's the mix of hops.
If it doesn't mellow out, I'm not sure I'll be able to man up enough to drink it. Are there any tricks to fix it? It's pretty low gravity, OG 1.040.

Did you put the recipe in a recipe calculator beforehand? If so, what are the IBU's?

9 lb. 2-row
8 oz. crystal 40L

1 oz Cascade @ 60 min
1 oz Columbus @ 60 min

.25 Amarillo @ 15 min
.25 Columbus @15 min
.25 Citra @ 15 min*

.25 Amarillo @ f/o
.25 Citra @ f/o*

.25 Cascade - dry hop
.25 Amarillo - dry hop

* = need to get

US-05

Sounds like a low-ish ABV, citrusy IPA I would like to try.

Or....

Grab a few ounces of British chocolate malt and go the other direction with a brown....

10 lb 2-row
4 oz British chocolate malt
(All your crystal malt)

1 oz N. Brewer @ 60 min
.4 oz N Brewer @ 15 min

US-05 or CBC

That's way too much hops to use up in one batch even if you make a barleywine or DIPA. So how about a kind-of-bitter American pale ale that uses up all the grain and 2 of the hops?

For 5 gallons:
9 lbs 2-row
9.5 oz mixed crystal malts (10°-40°L)
12 oz torrified wheat
0.8 oz Warrior at 30 minutes
1 oz Cascade at 10 minutes
US-05
dry-hop with the rest of the Cascade

BTW, I've never dry-hopped before, so maybe Cascade isn't the best for that; I imagine it should be.

I don't remember exact, but they were in the 50s,which doesn't seem high at all.

I popped the keg last night and I'm totally excited. This is exactly what I wanted. So good!!
I'm going to to do it again. I want to increase mouth feel just slightly and maybe increase abv by a half point. Could I accomplish this by increasing my 2 row by 1.5 lbs?
Also when racking to the keg, aromatics were incredible but from keg to glass there all but gone. I did one dry hop of 2 oz. Should do I do second dry hop or just increase quantity on the one?

OG 1.038
FG 1.018
ABV 3.68
Calories 125/12oz

Here's a picture. It has really small champagne like bubbles. The head leaves a nice lacey trail down the glass as you drink it.
Who needs skill when you have luck?
LOL! Seriously pure luck, but oh so good.

IMG_20170424_173949277.jpg

IMG_20170424_174256998.jpg

Latest posts

Back