Gap Setting For Cereal Killer Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hannibalmdq

Reaction score
So I just got a load of grain from the DC group buy and I was going to test out the Cereal Killer mill I purchased last year for the first time. It appears to be set for at .375. Does this seem reasonable for first go round at milling myself?

That's a good starting point. Like recommended above run some grain through an see how it looks. With a new mill its a good idea to run some grain through anyway to clean off any oil or debris from manufacturing

Depends on your mash process. If you recirculate mash, I would widen to .40. If you don't recirculate, I would tighten to .30

Thank you all.

Well, I took her for the inaugural spin tonight. I used a CC and set the gap so it just caught it and pulled it through. Looked like a .040 gap on the adjustment markers. Efficiency was 67%. The grist for 30% Wheat and 10% Flaked Wheat, so it was an slog of a mash. I'm normally 70% from the LHBS these day so that's not too far off. I'll tighten it up a little at a time and see where it goes.

Does anyone know how accurate the .025, .050, 1.00 marks are on the mill?

Not very in my experience. I have the same mill. Get feeler gauge at auto part store for like $4

I have the same mill, and with my gap set at .035, my mash efficiency (per BS) is consistently between 75 and 76%, and I've never had any sparge issues. One of my recipes goes over 80%, and it is consistent as well. Love my cereal killer!

Back