"Gamma Seal" lids

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger988

Reaction score
http://www.emptypaintcans.com/gammaseallid.aspx

Anyone ever seen anything like this before? Found them searching around for something for another hobby and like the idea. Haven't tried to find anywhere that sells less than case qty yet, but I'm sure osmeone is out there.

Looks like a neat alternative to a BMB if the seal is truly airtight!!

Thoughts?

Any particular reason you haven't used them for fermenting,or just don't see the need?

Seems like it'd be pretty easy to pop in a hole for a BO/airlock.

I use them for grain storage as well. I think people avoid using them for fermenters because of the difficulty in cleaning them. The lids snap on and it's easy to get gunk up under the lip of the lid. The lids can't really be removed once they are snapped on, so it would be hard to keep clean.

Lowes carries them sometimes. They are hard to find though. If you see them, grab them.

I have a vittle vault 50 for doing 10 gal batches. Some people don't mind the gamma seal. I don't really. Like it. I feel that it leaks air around the collar more than the circular lid itself. It's also kind of a biotch to clean since the collar just snaps onto a bucket rim. It works, but I'm actually looking for a regular bucket lid that will fit my vittle vault. Check the vittle vault threads for some more opinions.

Any particular reason you haven't used them for fermenting,or just don't see the need?

Seems like it'd be pretty easy to pop in a hole for a BO/airlock.

Never really thought about it. I don't have any issues with the regular bucket lids on my buckets. I was looking for ways to keep grain fresh for longer term storage, so I wanted a much better deal on those buckets. And as others have said, they would be/are much harder to clean.

I use that lid on the bucket to store my grains. While it works awesome for that, I don't think it would make a great lid for fermentation purposes. First, i would have reservations about having to clean it. There is a locking collar that the lid screws into, which causes a lip where liquid will get behind. I really don't see a good way to sterilize it, and having to remove the collar would be a major PITA. Just getting the collar to fully seat on my bucket required me to use a rubber mallet.

Second, I don't think that screwing it on would save that much work versus putting on the standard lid. Although getting the normal lids off can be a bit difficult (I don't cut the seams for a better seal) I still don't find it that much of an inconvenience. If this is an issue, you can always get one of those bucket lid removal tools. When the Gamma lids are tight, they can be a pain to open in their own right.

All that said, I think it works great for grains. It sure beats transporting crushed grains home from the LHBS in a garbage bag.

Cool, glad I asked!! I'll pick some up in a few weeks at the same time I grab a mill!

I have 3 vittle vaults I use for storing base grains and a gamma seal lid on a five gallon bucket that I keep the odds and ends of specialty grains in. They work great. For the reasons mentioned by others, I would be hesitant to ferment in one.

I store my base malt in 5 gallon pails fitted with gamma lids. All of my specialty grains are bagged individually then stored in vittles vaults behind gamma-seal lids. The rest of my fermentables are stored in regular old pails with snap lids. At the rate I use them, gamma seal lids are kinda overkill. Granted, I'm not dealing with super hot/humid summers or barn mice, but never had any problems yet here in Chicago. YMMV.

i had trouble with the gamma lid and pasturization....first time i did it, it wasn't air tight any more....

Back