Game Plan!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zbay

Reaction score
Well guys I'm looking for your expert advice again. I have two types of yeast right now and i'm trying to figure out the best course of action to take. The two types are lavlin 71b and ec-1118. I realize that the 71b is going to leave some sugar while the other will run it dry. I'm planing on doing a 1 gallon batch with 4 lb clover honey, 3 lb of cherries, then when i rack it into the secondary spliting a few vinnila beans up in there. So if I do the Ec-1118 I'm guessing I will need to backsweeten it, how much extra work is that worth compaired to how much extra abv? I guess my goal is to get around 16-17 abv which i have read stories of people doing it with the 71b strain, I guess I'm wondering how often that happens or is it pretty common. Well as always thanks for the advice guys and happy brewing.
Zbay. :mug:

That's alot of sugars...... you might want to run it dry

I have a recipe in doing and I an only running 1 # Cherie and 3.5 # honey. In looking at a final sg of 1.09

Alright, So I will use the 1118. What do you think about splitting the cherries and doing 2 lb in the primary and 1 in the secondary with the vinnilla bean? Maybe that will give the drink a little more depth and least thats what I'm going with but would love to hear more opinions on this. I also planed on doing my primary in a 3 gallon carboy do I have to worry about the extra airspace above the mead during the primary fermentaion process?

First doing a one gallon batch I personally drop to a 1#/1# for the cherries and cut the amount of honey to 2#s. And for primary I it IMO that a three gallon carbon should So just fine but definitely rack to a 1gallon for secondary

Back