Gallon Jug

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_f

Reaction score
I have some gallon jugs:

1 old vinegar jug (screw top)
2or3 cider? jugs (half turn top)
2 four liter alcohol bottles (lab use, small screw top, different from the first one)

do you think that some of these may hold carbonated beer?
I am thinking of carbonating 2/3 gallon in these to take to a party...

thanks!
JP

Smaller jugs aren't what I'd normally use for a batch of beer. It seems like it would be an awful lot of work. You could use them to transport kegged beer though.

I would use them for different flavored meads though.:D

homebrewer_99 said:
True. Plastic is also the reason why we'll never be free of foreign oil.:(

Not completely true. Think of it this way: plastic can make for a lighter vehicle, which will consume less gas and last longer (since it's less likely to succumb to rust, salt damage, etc.)

The Hummer automotive company is the reason we're so dependent. Did you notice that gas prices were very reasonable until the advent of the H2? OK, so Hummer's not the ONLY company to blame, but they're the McDonald's of the auto industry.

homebrewer_99 said:
Sorry, I always assume glass...:eek:

actually my bad. if your getting the beer from a carbonated keg, and transporting it reallys shouldn't matter, although my experience is that the plastic jugs seem to make the beer go flat faster. As far as the glass goes, they'll stay carbonated for a day or two. But since your going to a party, they'll prolly guzzle it all down in a few hours :tank:

My half witted interpretation was that you were going to age some stuff in there, and I personally don't think it's a good idea. (screw tops and all). Mead on the other hand...

Mr. McGuire: I want to say one word to you. Just one word.
Benjamin: Yes, sir.
Mr. McGuire: Are you listening?
Benjamin: Yes, I am.
Mr. McGuire: Plastics.

Cheesefood said:
Not completely true. Think of it this way: plastic can make for a lighter vehicle, which will consume less gas and last longer (since it's less likely to succumb to rust, salt damage, etc.)

The Hummer automotive company is the reason we're so dependent. Did you notice that gas prices were very reasonable until the advent of the H2? OK, so Hummer's not the ONLY company to blame, but they're the McDonald's of the auto industry.

I used to own a Fiero. Its body was plastic/fiberglass. I owned it for 11 years but only drove it for 5 before I gave it to a soldier. It had over 216,000 miles on it. THe only time it was ever in the shop was for a blown gasket at around 80K. I did all the other work. My current Grand Am has 120K on it now. I put over 50K on it in excess of 100 mph while in Germany. I used to drive my wife's BMW530 in excess of 140 mph. Last year I had an Audi A6 Turbo-Diesel in excess of 150 mph on the autobahn!:D :D

OTOH, the Hummer is fiberglass. I've been to their automotive school and toured the factory...:D I drove a Hummer for 3 months in Kosovo...:D Definitely a POS!!!

Radarbrew said:
Was the hummer armored? We have them here and they couldn't pull out of the same snow covered ditch my F350 could, AAMOF, I was pulling them out. BTW thanks for serving...

F350.... nows there is a truck.

I dont think I would use something that was used to store vinegar. When you smell inside it does it smell like something? These gal containers go for like $3.50. Way too cheap to get a nice clean one that you know won't give you any problems. The cider ones should not be a problem... providing they are glass and not those cheap squishy plastic ones.

these are glass jugs, from the old times.

I've used them to ferment mead.

my question is if I can carbonate by primming assuming that they would be consumed in a matter of hours after open

thanks!

To answer the original question, the bottles can probably be used for transporting ale, but I doubt if they could be trusted to hold pressure during carbonation. Even if you can seal them tightly enough, they probably aren't strong enough.

Radarbrew said:
Was the hummer armored? We have them here and they couldn't pull out of the same snow covered ditch my F350 could, AAMOF, I was pulling them out. BTW thanks for serving...
No armor. I've been serving as a DA civilian since '81.:D Three year 3 months to go to retirement...36 years!

david_42 said:
To answer the original question, the bottles can probably be used for transporting ale, but I doubt if they could be trusted to hold pressure during carbonation. Even if you can seal them tightly enough, they probably aren't strong enough.

All right, Thanks!

Latest posts

Back