Galaxy / Nelson Sauvin IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omahawk

Reaction score
I haven't created an IPA recipe in a while, and was looking for some feedback on my hopping schedule. I THINK I want to go heavy on the Galaxy / Nelson Sauvin hops, with a little of my more familiar friends Cascade and Chinook thrown in. I like Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin when I taste them separately in beers, just don't know how this will all go down together.

This grain bill should give me the light malt touch I'm looking for. Looking for any and all discussion of the hops. Is the cascade going to muddle it all?

Here is the recipe for 10 gallon finish at bottling.

1.064 SG, 68 IBU, 7 SRM

23 lb 2row US
1.25 Victory
1 lb Munich
1 lb C20

1 oz chinook @ 60
2 oz Galaxy @ 15
2 oz cascade @ 0
2 oz Nelson Sauvin@ 0
2 oz Galaxy dry hop
2 oz Nelson Sauvin dry hop

Edit: using wyeast 1056

Thanks!

Last edited:
Nelson/Galaxy - Fantastic Combination!
With Cascade will give it a nice layering as well.

I'd be temptedto use Cascade at 15 instead (Maybe a slightly larger addition?) and use galaxy/nelson as your stars. at FO and dryhop. you could obviously go bigger on your dryhop given its 10G.

I'd be temptedto use Cascade at 15 instead (Maybe a slightly larger addition?) and use galaxy/nelson as your stars. at FO and dryhop.

Yeah, I can see that. If I really want to experience these two hops, they should be all of my late hop load. I think I'll make that change.

I get the dry hop comment, too. I've gone much heavier than this before, as much as 1 oz per gallon.

Thanks for the feedback. Good stuff!

I brew a DIPA that up until the last batch used Galaxy & Nelson hops exclusively. I added in a little El Dorado this time around, but just brewed it this past wknd so I can't tell you how it turned out yet.

I absolutely agree with moving the cascade up in the boil and doing a huge whirlpool and dry hop with galaxy and nelson. however you're going to think I'm stupid but that hop bill is for a 5 gallon batch. F0r 10, you need to double it IMHO.

I'd simplify the grain bill however, just go 2-row, some C20 and some carapils or a touch of white wheat for head retention.

I brew a DIPA that up until the last batch used Galaxy & Nelson hops exclusively. I added in a little El Dorado this time around, but just brewed it this past wknd so I can't tell you how it turned out yet.

Would love to hear how this turned out - report back if you think of it. Thanks

I absolutely agree with moving the cascade up in the boil and doing a huge whirlpool and dry hop with galaxy and nelson. however you're going to think I'm stupid but that hop bill is for a 5 gallon batch. F0r 10, you need to double it IMHO.

I'm going for standard, drinkable IPA. I'm not the hop monster I used to be. ;)

I've contemplated adding one more ounce of each at flameout (3 oz. N.S, 3 oz Galaxy). The flameouts are my favorite flavor contributions. Moderate dry hopping is good, but I don't like too much. I've also done the calcs, and if I move the 2 oz of Cascade to 30 minutes I come in at 81 IBU. That's at BU:GU of 1.2 or so. I think I might do that.

I'd simplify the grain bill however, just go 2-row, some C20 and some carapils or a touch of white wheat for head retention.

Ha, funny. I almost didn't add the C20 and was going to go all base, Munich, Victory. This is my typical APA / IPA malt profile. I'm only changing one variable at a time - the hops.

Edit: I actually have 1 lb of White wheat in my recipe, just left it off. Great minds.....

Thanks for the input!

:tank:

I'm going for standard, drinkable IPA. I'm not the hop monster I used to be. ;)

I've contemplated adding one more ounce of each at flameout (3 oz. N.S, 3 oz Galaxy). The flameouts are my favorite flavor contributions. Moderate dry hopping is good, but I don't like too much. I've also done the calcs, and if I move the 2 oz of Cascade to 30 minutes I come in at 81 IBU. That's at BU:GU of 1.2 or so. I think I might do that.

Ha, funny. I almost didn't add the C20 and was going to go all base, Munich, Victory. This is my typical APA / IPA malt profile. I'm only changing one variable at a time - the hops.

Edit: I actually have 1 lb of White wheat in my recipe, just left it off. Great minds.....

Thanks for the input!

:tank:

Nice whitewheat workwell in IPA's IMO.
If your standard is Victory munich pale, then I'd skip the C20 as well.

victory will work just fine on its own.

I've started simplifying my grain bills for most beers. It just seems to make sense, and you dont get a huge payout from 1-2% of a crystal really. especially in IPA or APA...

I've started simplifying my grain bills for most beers. It just seems to make sense, and you dont get a huge payout from 1-2% of a crystal really. especially in IPA or APA...

Interesting observation. I added the crystal because I've been mashing lower recently (148-149 F) and liking what it does, but have been getting beers really dried out - this one for instance will likely attenuate down to FG of 1.009 or so. The crystal was me hedging my bets. Kind of dumb, I know.

Likely, I'd be better of dropping the C20 and raising my mash temp.

Interesting observation. I added the crystal because I've been mashing lower recently (148-149 F) and liking what it does, but have been getting beers really dried out - this one for instance will likely attenuate down to FG of 1.009 or so. The crystal was me hedging my bets. Kind of dumb, I know.

Yep - I'd go that way.
1.009 would be about right for an IPA IMO?
Unless your taste lean more towards the sweeter end. then raise your mash temp, or keep you C20, up to you.
I just dont think it contributes much.

here is what I'll end up brewing:

10 gallon finished batch.

1.064 SG, 81 IBU, 6 SRM

23 lb 2row US
1.25 Victory
1 lb Munich
1 lb white wheat malt

1 oz chinook @ 60
2 oz cascade @ 30
3 oz Galaxy @ 0
3 oz Nelson Sauvin@ 0
2 oz Galaxy dry hop
2 oz Nelson Sauvin dry hop
wyeast 1056
Mash @ 151

Thanks all!

I just put this on tap and it is delicious. I used simcoe, but I think yours will be good too. Receipe is for 10g

22 Lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row
3 Lbs Vienna
1 lbs Carapils
1.00 ozMagnum [12.0%] - First Wort
2.00 ozGalaxy [14.0%] - Boil 10 min
2.00 ozNelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Boil 10 min
1.00 ozSimcoe [13.0%] - Boil 5 min
2.00 ozGalaxy [14.0%] - Steep 20 min
2.00 ozNelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Steep 20 min
2 pkgsSafale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
1.50 ozGalaxy [14.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days
1.50 ozNelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days
1.00 ozSimcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days

Mash at 149

I just put this on tap and it is delicious. I used simcoe, but I think yours will be good too. Receipe is for 10g

22 Lbs Pale Ale Malt 2-Row
3 Lbs Vienna
1 lbs Carapils
1.00 ozMagnum [12.0%] - First Wort
2.00 ozGalaxy [14.0%] - Boil 10 min
2.00 ozNelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Boil 10 min
1.00 ozSimcoe [13.0%] - Boil 5 min
2.00 ozGalaxy [14.0%] - Steep 20 min
2.00 ozNelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Steep 20 min
2 pkgsSafale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)
1.50 ozGalaxy [14.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days
1.50 ozNelson Sauvin [12.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days
1.00 ozSimcoe [13.0%] - Dry Hop 3 days

Mash at 149

Looks really good, and somewhat similar. If you lived in my 'hood, I'd suggest a side-by-side taste test. :mug:

Off topic, I've heard that polka in your sig many, many, many times. My uncle plays in a polka band in western PA.:mug:

Off topic, I've heard that polka in your sig many, many, many times. My uncle plays in a polka band in western PA.:mug:

Very cool. I'm a U of Iowa grad / fan and for some unknown reason, the marching band plays that song after a victory. Very corny, but a happy tradition.

My report back - it was a success. The hop combo is perfect, and dry hop level great as well. It's not as light and clean as I typically drink, but that's a water issue on my end. I need to work on my sharp/bitter water profile, but that's not a recipe issue. Wouldn't change a thing. It's being served at my neighbors' Halloween party next weekend.

Glad I found this thread. I wanted to do a IPA with Nelson and thought some Galaxy would be a good partner given my experience with that hop. FWIW here's my recipe for 5 gallons

12# 2 row
1# Munich
1# White wheat
.5# Carapils

.5 oz Admiral @ 60
.5 oz Nelson @ 10
.5 oz Galaxy @ 10
.5 oz Nelson and galaxy at FO
Probably dry hop with another oz each of Nelson and galaxy.

And yes, admiral is the bittering hop just so I can call it Admiral Nelson's Galaxy

Glad I found this thread. I wanted to do a IPA with Nelson and thought some Galaxy would be a good partner given my experience with that hop. FWIW here's my recipe for 5 gallons

12# 2 row
1# Munich
1# White wheat
.5# Carapils

.5 oz Admiral @ 60
.5 oz Nelson @ 10
.5 oz Galaxy @ 10
.5 oz Nelson and galaxy at FO
Probably dry hop with another oz each of Nelson and galaxy.

And yes, admiral is the bittering hop just so I can call it Admiral Nelson's Galaxy

Needs more hops..... alot more.
double your FO and triple your Dryhop at the very least.

Latest posts

Back