Galaxy/Nelson combination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddicker60

Reaction score
Has any used these two together? What are the results? Thinking of making a light drinking ipa with tons of hop flavor for the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

One of my favorite commercial brews uses the two. It's Widmer Bros o'ryely Ipa. I actually have the recipe straight from the brewer himself if you'd like a rye Ipa with the two hops.
I've done the recipe a couple times. I love it and I love nelson Sauvin hops.

One of my favorite commercial brews uses the two. It's Widmer Bros o'ryely Ipa. I actually have the recipe straight from the brewer himself if you'd like a rye Ipa with the two hops.
I've done the recipe a couple times. I love it and I love nelson Sauvin hops.

Can I get that recipe? My mom loves rye beers and I have been wanting to try using nelson hops.

Can I get that recipe? My mom loves rye beers and I have been wanting to try using nelson hops.

Malts Pale- 79% C-10- 4% Carapils- 6% Weyermann Rye- 6% Weyermann Cara Rye- 3% Weyermann Chocolate Rye- 2%

Hops 1st addition start of boil any high alpha. Shoot for about 20 bu's from this addition. 2nd addition end of boil, start of whirlpool-Nelson Sauvin. Shoot for about 25-30 bu's from this addition. Dry hop at terminal. Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy. I'll let you get creative with this addition!

Pitched with 1056 and fermented around 66F

i knew nelson was in enjoy by, but it makes sense its both of those, here is the recipe I'm thinking of
1.061 OG 1.014 FG 88 IBU6.2% ABV6 SRM 1.45 IBU/OG

Fermentables Efficiency: 70.0 % Batch size: 11.0 gal

Fermentable Amount Use PPG Color
2-Row (US) 12.0 lb 46 % Mash 37 1 °L
Wheat Malt (DE) 7.0 lb 26 % 37 2 °L
Maris Otter Pale (UK) 6.0 lb 23 % Mash 38 3 °L
Caramel/Crystal 40L (US) 1.0 lb 3 % Mash 34 40 °L

Hops Boil time: 60 min

Hop Amount Time Use Form AA
Warrior (US) 0.5 oz 60 min First Wort Pellet 16.0%
Galaxy (AU) 2.0 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 14.2%
Nelson Sauvin (NZ) 2.0 oz 5 min Boil Pellet 12.5%
Galaxy (AU) 2.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 14.2%
Nelson Sauvin (NZ) 2.0 oz 7 days Dry Hop Pellet 12.5%
Galaxy (AU) 2.0 oz 30 min Whirlpool Pellet 14.2%
Nelson Sauvin (NZ) 2.0 oz 30 min Whirlpool Pellet 12.5%
Yeasts

Name Lab/Product Average Attenuation
Safale US-05 Fermentis US-05 77.5%

I might be getting vermont IPA yeast from morebeer if its still in when I brew this

Back