Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_K

Reaction score
I love this combination of hops for American style ales. My last 3 brews have used this combo and I love it. I've made a 7.1% IPA, a 5.2% APA, and a mostly Pilsen malt 4.5% Session ale. I like to keep things simple so I bitter with Warrior and add equal parts GMC around 5 minutes or flameout. :mug:

What are your favorite hop combos?

I love this combination of hops for American style ales. My last 3 brews have used this combo and I love it. I've made a 7.1% IPA, a 5.2% APA, and a mostly Pilsen malt 4.5% Session ale. I like to keep things simple so I bitter with Warrior and add equal parts GMC around 5 minutes or flameout. :mug:

What are your favorite hop combos?

Simcoe and Amarillo. Try "The Dude's Lake Walk Pale Ale."

I have 50# of pilsen malt, 3 oz Galaxy, 1/2 # Mosaic, and 1/2 # Citra. I don't have Warrior but I have Magnum, and lots of it.
Do you want share the Session Ale recipe?

I love Simcoe and Amarillo!! I was on a huge kick of it for a while until I discovered the GMC combo.

My session recipe is 7 lbs Pilsen Malt, 1.25 lbs white wheat, .75 lbs Rye Malt, .5 lbs flaked oats.

Mash at 152F for 60 min, 90 min boil.

.25 oz Warrior for 90 min
1 oz each of Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra at flameout with a 15-20 min whirlpool.
1 oz each of GMC dry hop.

I fermented at 65 F with WLP001.

The grain bill is Evil Twins Citra Sunshine Slacker with my own hop bill.

I'm drinking a Citra, mosaic, Amarillo for boil hops and chinook (for some pine) mosaic Amarillo dry hop ...one of the best I've made

My session recipe is 7 lbs Pilsen Malt, 1.25 lbs white wheat, .75 lbs Rye Malt, .5 lbs flaked oats.

Mash at 152F for 60 min, 90 min boil.

.25 oz Warrior for 90 min
1 oz each of Galaxy, Mosaic, Citra at flameout with a 15-20 min whirlpool.
1 oz each of GMC dry hop.

I fermented at 65 F with WLP001.

thanks! I will give it a try

ca-2017-gmc-canyon-exterior-960x662-02-17PGCN00051_V1.jpg

I love Mosaic for SMASH IPAS. My house IPA is just that. I got some Simcoe last week when our LHBS had to get rid of their hops, so brewed a Pliny Clone yesterday. Can't wait for that one.

This is relevant to my interests.

Those are my three favorite hops, hands down. Tomorrow I'm rebrewing a Mosaic/Galaxy session IPA recipe that I was very happy with.

This is relevant to my interests.

Those are my three favorite hops, hands down. Tomorrow I'm rebrewing a Mosaic/Galaxy session IPA recipe that I was very happy with.

I'm always interested in a good session IPA if you're interested in sharing the recipe.

I love Mosaic for SMASH IPAS. My house IPA is just that. I got some Simcoe last week when our LHBS had to get rid of their hops, so brewed a Pliny Clone yesterday. Can't wait for that one.

In my opinion, the best IPA made in Texas.. and it is GREAT.. is Lone Pint Yellow Rose. It is a SMASH Mosaic IPA. They use a boatload of Mosaic.

I'm always interested in a good session IPA if you're interested in sharing the recipe.

You betcha.

For 5.5 gallons into the fermenter:
4 lbs Briess 2-row
2.5 lbs Briess Vienna Malt
.5 lbs Red Wheat Malt

Mash @ 152° F for 60 minutes

60-minute boil
F.W.H. .40 oz Mosaic (12.3%)
-10 min .5 oz Mosaic, .25 oz Galaxy
F.O. .75 oz Mosaic, .25 oz Galaxy
Chill to ~170° F, hopstand 2.5 oz Mosaic and 1.5 oz Galaxy for 30 minutes before chilling to pitching temp.

Ferment with Wyeast 1318.

Dry hop with 2 oz Mosaic and 1 oz Galaxy.

My last batch came in at 1.042 OG and 1.009 FG for 4.35% abv.

My biggest complaint with this beer is that I can't drink it because some hop matter clogged the dip-tube and/or poppet. But chalk that up to user error. When it was pouring, it tasted for all the world like pineapple juice. I plan to monkey with it tomorrow so that I can get more of that sweet, sweet nectar.

I love that combo too, but can't get my hands on any galaxy! None of the online places are selling it. At least not by the pound for reasonable prices. My LHBS had some but were rationing it at 4 oz max and $4 an ounce! Hoping the new crop comes out soon so I can stock up.

I love that combo too, but can't get my hands on any galaxy! None of the online places are selling it. At least not by the pound for reasonable prices. My LHBS had some but were rationing it at 4 oz max and $4 an ounce! Hoping the new crop comes out soon so I can stock up.

From what I've heard Galaxy is going to be very hard to find this year. My lhbs only gets 1.5 lbs a month. A new brewery in my area can't get any until after the 2018 harvest.

Morebeer still has Galaxy but they're not cheap.

Yeah there are a couple place that have it, but at 3-4+ dollars an ounce. I love me some galaxy, but not paying that ransom. Trying some other hops lately in its place, Ekuanot, Azzecca, Vic secret. Good results so far. Ekuanot and Azzecca I got for about $15 a lb shipped.

I'm out of Galaxy so I'm thinking about using Cascade for my 60 min addition (I have LOTS of this!) and then Citra / Mosaic for 10-0 min additions and citra for dry hop. This will be a recipe using 2-row and a very small amount of C10 or C20.

Just looking to make a light summer beer. Anyone use this combo?

I've brewed many pretty good IPA's and pales with GMC. My ratios is .05 galaxy, 1 mosaic and 1.5 citra during the whirlpool with 50:50 IBU's from a clean high alpha 60m bittering addition with the rest from the whirlpool and the same ratios in a big dry hop. Aim for .8-.9 IBU's to SG as a ratio. Thing is, it is what it is, so many places make an absolutely great IPA using pale, munich, oats with a small touch of wheat and big late hop additions. After brewing beers like this for a while I've started to lean towards less galaxy and citra as a personal preference and the subtle side of these hops requires carefully considered water treatment (lower alkalinity, moderate calcium, less minerals overall and less than the standard 2:1 SO4:Cl ratio). I've also started to actively dislike that overtly forward munich sweetness as well which is so popular in big cloudy orange IPA's, sticking to light munich and a longer lower mash especially for bigger beers.

Depending on stock galaxy is sometimes substituted or mixed for a mixture of ahtanum, amarillo and cascade, mosaic with simcoe and citra with centennial. Obviously it isn't the same beer, but if your intent is to make a big IPA you'll not get far wrong. On the dry hop galaxy mixed or substituted for centennial and simcoe, mosaic for el dorado and calypso and citra for cascade and nelson sauvin.

On best bang for buck for expensive or rarer aroma hops best bet is to simplify the hop bill and just use them all as late additions or whirlpool additions. I know that you get things from these hops boiled, but if I need to use 4x as many and the goal is a certain fragile aromatic quality then they certainly aren't going in at 15m or even at knock out. I'm certainly never using them as bittering hops.

I brewed a GMC NEIPA about 6 weeks ago. Really tasty but it tought me that I really need either a dank or piny hop to blend. Columbus is my go to for that.

Without something like that, it's too one dimensional IMO.

Back