Galaxy hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsvinth34

Reaction score
Just bought a pound of galaxy hops online, and was curious as to good hop pairings and types of beer to use the galaxy in. (planning an ipa soon and thinking they would work well in that)

Galaxy Pale (Australian Pale Ale)

Original Gravity (OG): 1.048 (°P): 11.9
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol (ABV): 4.72 %
Colour (SRM): 5.0 (EBC): 9.9
Bitterness (IBU): 48.0 (Tinseth)

8 lbs. 84.21% American 2-Row
1 lb. 10.53% Wheat Malt
.5 lb. 5.26% Honey Malt

.5 oz Stella (14.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)
1 oz Galaxy (13.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil)
1 oz Galaxy (13.7% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)
1 oz Topaz (16.4% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 154°F for 60 Minutes. Boil for 60 Minutes

Fermented at 68°F with WLP002 - English Ale

One of my favorite recent beers, having gone through a pound of Galaxy over the past year+. Provided you like a sweeter pale ale, as I do, this would be a good try. If you like 'em dryer, just lower the mash temp & lower or remove the honey malt. I feel the esters from 002 (or 005 & other english yeasts) complement the juicy flavor that you get from Galaxy.

tried galaxy for the first time with an IIPA but was way too all over the place with hop choices so I recently made a galaxy pale ale which kicked way way too fast. pretty simple, just wanted to get a feel for the hop and damn was I pleasantly surprised with how complex they are all by themselves.

10 lbs Maris Otter
2 lbs Vienna
1 lb Wheat

1 oz chinook @ 60
1 oz galaxy @ 15
1 oz galaxy @ 0
2 oz galaxy dry hopped for 5 days

I really do swear that galaxy tastes like a mix of 10 different varieties. That and I find that the aroma smells very different than it tastes. anyways, very very cool hop.

I've done 3 IPAs this year featuring Galaxy paired with different combinations of Nugget & Northern Brewer as late additions. All 3 kegs were killed within a few weeks.

Back