Galaxy Hops -- Short supply?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matchrocket

Reaction score
Last spring I bought 1lb of galaxy for $20 a lb online. Currently, if I can find them at all they are $4-$6 and OZ and $49 a lb.

What gives? Just out of season given they are grown in AU?

Huh. I checked this too. Northern Europe. All of my go-to shops are either out or have 2016 at a very steep price. There's one shop which has loads of 2017, but all hops I've gotten from there has been "squishy", to much moisture, so I don't know.

You could get Galaxy everywhere this past year. It wasn’t cheap but wasn’t in short supply. 2018 Southern Hemisphere Hop Harvest has already happened. 2018 crop will be showing up in the next few months.

Nelson on the other hand...

Hoping some Nelson makes it through to us homebrewers this year. I did manage to recently score a half lb of last years crop at farmhousebrewingsupply.com. Wasn't cheap though. But yeah, Galaxy should be in abundance soon.

Roughly what month did the 2017 hops come out last year? I'm getting ready to buy a couple lbs of some different hops to try in some IPAs this summer, but I'll wait if the 2018's get released soon.

2018 Southern Hemisphere hops? Those might start showing up in June? I think. But only select varieties usually... it’ll probably be until at least July when you have a good selection of those. Northern Hemisphere harvest starts in August. Usually don’t see much available until end of September for the earliest varieties... at least for homebrewers

You could get Galaxy everywhere this past year. It wasn’t cheap but wasn’t in short supply. 2018 Southern Hemisphere Hop Harvest has already happened. 2018 crop will be showing up in the next few months.

Nelson on the other hand...

Hmm - interesting. Last year Nelson was the most expensive variety here in the UK, over £7/100g was typical at retail (so ~US$10.70 per 4oz) but prices have fallen back a bit this year with some suppliers. Galaxy is the most expensive this year with many stores and at wholesale, but a bit less than last year's Nelson, and you can still buy 2017 Galaxy with no problems. Others over £6/100g (~US$9.20/4oz) this year are Citra, Nelson and Sorachi Ace, with Amarillo, Azacca, Cashmere, Denali and Lemondrop there or thereabouts.

In other words, everyone is using bucket loads of these hops for NEIPAs and the like, and farmers are struggling to keep up. But you could have kinda guessed that anyway given the lag time for a hop plant to get up to speed. And by that time the market could have moved on - it's noticeable that 2016 Mosaic hung around for a while, in fact one of my suppliers is still on it, they obviously contracted a load and have now been stuck with it.

Back