Gainesville, FL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually messed it up slightly. There wasn't supposed to be any CaCl addition, but I had forgotten to delete that when I copied an old version of the recipe. It's ok, it'll be extra malty. The actual profile was supposed to be:

Calcium: 52.0 ppm
Sulfate: 77.0 ppm
Magnesium: 16.0 ppm
Chloride: 60.0 ppm
Sodium: 99.0 ppm
Bicarbonate: 156.0 ppm

Notes: Profile encourages balanced, smooth, dark beers such as Porters, Browns and Milds.

For now I am having fun carbonating random things in 2-l soda bottles :ban:

When I first got my last batch of kegs, I filled one with "genuine authentic all natural spring water from the hills of High Springs", (from my well!) and added a little lime juice, then carbed it at 30 PSI. Good stuff!

Will my truck run better if I inject CO2 into the air intake? Shoot, then my carbon footprint will go up. Nevermind.

Well, I'm not from Gainesville, but I am visiting town. I stopped by Hoggetowne Ale Works today (shout out to Chris!), and I've been very impressed with the town and the beer we've had here. Fresh Swamp Head is fantastic.

Had a few minutes to kill while a store opened, so I stopped in at Swamp Head this morning. Got the nickel tour from the owner. Very nice operation. Can't wait to go down on a brew day.

Need to add a "Tax Determination Tank" to my brewing equipment. NOT!

Had a few minutes to kill while a store opened, so I stopped in at Swamp Head this morning. Got the nickel tour from the owner. Very nice operation. Can't wait to go down on a brew day.

Need to add a "Tax Determination Tank" to my brewing equipment. NOT!
Brew days are fun, double brew days are better. Mash in the second batch while boiling the first. Mixing the grains with a mash paddle (no automated paddle in the tun.) It gets hot on that platform REALLY fast.

Swamp Head had some of the best beer at the festival last weekend. I kept coming back to them. I am looking forward to visiting their tasting room frequently once it opens.

Yeah, he showed me the tasting room under construction. Can't wait for that to open! Plans on filling growlers, too!

Did they ever change the Florida growler size laws?

BTW, Gator Spirits across the street from the Shoppe has four bottles of Redstone Meadery Nectar of the Hops in stock @18.99 each per 750 ml bottle.

Brewing up and English IPA at the moment.

1.065 -> 1.015 planned

LB OZ Malt
------------------------------------------------------
7 0 British Pale (Maris Otter)
2 0 Munich Malt
0 12 American Dextrin (Cara-Pils)
0 8 Victory Malt
0 8 Flaked Oats
0 8 American Crystal 40L

Hops
-----------------------------------------
boil 60 mins 0.5oz Willamette
boil 60 mins 2.0oz Glacier
boil 20 mins 0.5oz Willamette
boil 15 mins 0.5oz Glacier
boil 10 mins 0.5oz Willamette
boil 5 mins 1.0oz Willamette
dryhop 7 days 1.5oz Willamette
dryhop 7 days 0.5oz Glacier

S-04 Yeast

Here's my next brew.

Recipe: Oak Aged IPA
Style: American IPA

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.069 SG
Estimated Color: 10.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 68.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount
13.00 lb Pale Malt (Weyermann)
0.75 lb Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess)
0.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
0.25 lb Extra Special (Briess)

1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min) (Mash Hop)
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (20 min) (First Wort Hops)

0.10 oz Pacific Gem [15.00 %] (60 min)
0.60 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (60 min)

0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (10 min)
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min)

1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days)

1.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 4.0 weeks)

California Ale (White Labs #WLP001)

So Chris, how's the fridge?

I got lazy and decided against lagering my Pilsner. I have about 1.5 liters in the fridge, chilling so that I can carb it up - the rest is sitting in a keg under light CO2 pressure. I was just amazed at the DMS smell that hit me when I transferred it, and I boiled it for 90+ minutes and chilled pretty fast. I am definitely going with 100-minute boils with the Pilsner base malt from now on.

I also accidentally racked some of my Smooth Jazz Porter (yum) onto some root beer remnants. The very faint, but detectable root beer notes actually really complement this beer. It's quite awesome!

So Chris, how's the fridge?

I got lazy and decided against lagering my Pilsner. I have about 1.5 liters in the fridge, chilling so that I can carb it up - the rest is sitting in a keg under light CO2 pressure. I was just amazed at the DMS smell that hit me when I transferred it, and I boiled it for 90+ minutes and chilled pretty fast. I am definitely going with 100-minute boils with the Pilsner base malt from now on.

I also accidentally racked some of my Smooth Jazz Porter (yum) onto some root beer remnants. The very faint, but detectable root beer notes actually really complement this beer. It's quite awesome!

Fridge is doing great. Holding my beer nice and steady at 70 F.

Fridge is doing great. Holding my beer nice and steady at 70 F.

thumb_lollerskates.gif

Brewing today...

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 5.03 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 6.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 51.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Brewers Malt 2-Row (Briess) (1.8 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
0.75 lb Munich I (Weyermann) (7.1 SRM) Grain 6.25 %
0.75 lb Victory Malt (biscuit) (Briess) (28.0 SRM)Grain 6.25 %
0.50 lb Wheat - White Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 4.17 %
28.35 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
28.35 gm Centennial [9.10 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
18.43 gm Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 32.1 IBU
7.09 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (60 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
7.09 gm Centennial [9.10 %] (60 min) Hops 8.6 IBU
7.09 gm Centennial [9.10 %] (10 min) Hops 1.7 IBU
7.09 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (10 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
14.17 gm Centennial [9.10 %] (0 min) Hops -
14.17 gm Cascade [7.60 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 gm Calcium Chloride (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1.00 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
2.00 gm Chalk (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
4.00 gm Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Boil 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs American Ale Yeast (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 15.00 qt of water at 168.1 F 154.0 F

Anyone interested in setting up a group brew day for National Homebrew Day Big Brew? I don't feel like going to Tampa/Tally/Merrit Island if I'm able to participate.

Sounds like fun - sadly, I'll probably be out of town on May 1 (which is the first Saturday of the month).

Trying to decide whether to sell my Firestone VI keg or to use it to keg sour beers... Needs a new pressure relief valve.

Chris, I left two bottle of IPA at the shop last Saturday, trying to enter them into the contest. I think someone drank them. You the culprit? I don't care, but I'd love to know what you thought of them, if you were there when they were consumed. I think they had PhD on the cap. Beer is called Phorged Diploma IPA-PhD IPA, in honor of my upcoming graduation.

Chris, I left two bottle of IPA at the shop last Saturday, trying to enter them into the contest. I think someone drank them. You the culprit? I don't care, but I'd love to know what you thought of them, if you were there when they were consumed. I think they had PhD on the cap. Beer is called Phorged Diploma IPA-PhD IPA, in honor of my upcoming graduation.

yeah, Barron, me and Ed judged your beers on Sunday. Score sheets are at the shop. Well, two of them are. I have the other beer in my fridge. I was trying to judge your beer but we got really busy, then I had to eat something or I was gonna pass out. I didn't want the food to interfere with my tastes, so I brought the other bottle to my house along with a score sheet.

Nothing wrong with that beer at all, got some nice scores ... I could go on but then you'd just read it again on my score sheet. :D

So, yes, we drank your beer, but it was properly judged. Not just consumed for the hell of it.

i got to get my electric system going. i'm sitting in ball soup outside.

Brewing this up.

Recipe: Oak Aged IPA
Brewer: Chris
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.50 gal
Estimated OG: 1.079 SG
Estimated Color: 13.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 84.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78.00 %

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
13.75 lb Pale Malt (Weyermann) (3.3 SRM) Grain 84.62 %
1.25 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 7.69 %
0.75 lb Crystal Light - 45L (Crisp) (45.0 SRM) Grain 4.62 %
0.50 lb Extra Special (Briess) (130.0 SRM) Grain 3.08 %
0.40 oz Warrior [15.80 %] (60 min) Hops 22.2 IBU
0.25 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 11.4 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.30 %] (20 min) (First Wort HopHops 16.0 IBU
0.50 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (20 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.75 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (20 min) Hops 8.0 IBU
0.25 oz Nugget [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 2.3 IBU
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.6 IBU
0.50 oz Simcoe [12.30 %] (10 min) Hops 4.3 IBU
1.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 4.0 weeks) Misc
1 Pkgs Dry English Ale (White Labs #WLP007) Yeast-Ale

Hey all, I'm finally in the market for kegging equipment, thanks to my tax return.

I need a regulator, maybe another 5 gal corny, a freezer, and a temp controller. If anybody has spare stuff they want to get rid of, or stuff they come across, then give me a shout.

No more bottles with the labels half scrubbed off! woot!

This thread has really slowed down lately...

It's been three weeks or so, but I am getting back into the game this weekend with an AG Terrapin RyePA clone.

Latest posts

Back