GABF Hangout ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gabe

It's a sickness!
Reaction score
I get into town on thurs the 11th and want to know where the best bar /brewpub/ beer haunt is in town. Any natives or GABF regulars with some pointers ?

gabe said:
I get into town on thurs the 11th and want to know where the best bar /brewpub/ beer haunt is in town. Any natives or GABF regulars with some pointers ?

Hunt down Brewtopia...he knows Denver pretty well.

I have a feeling I already know his favorite hangout. Try Falling Rock.

Gabe,

I went to GABF two years ago and will be back this year. The Falling Rock bar seems to be the unoffical hangout for GABF. They have an incredible selection of beers on tap. I can also very much recommend visiting Wynkoop Brewing. We had a great pub crawl on the Friday of GABF last time going to Rock Bottom, Denver Chophouse & Brewery, Wynkoop, Sandlot Brewing, Flying Dog, and Great Divide. All are within stumbling distance of GABF.

Darren

Dude said:
Hunt down Brewtopia...he knows Denver pretty well.

I have a feeling I already know his favorite hangout. Try Falling Rock.
This is the truth! Brewtopia knows Denver better than I do and I live here!
The Falling Rock is the place to be.

Falling Rock is a nice place. Good selection. My favorite brewpub locally (not really Denver proper) is the Bull and Bush. Nothing here in the north area though (Westminster).

RichBrewer said:
This is the truth! Brewtopia knows Denver better than I do and I live here!

I've been meaning to ask you where all the Denver brewers get together? I'm looking for an all-grain mentor. I can lug grain, and clean pots. I'm not above anything if knowledge is gained.

The Falling Rock is beer central during GABF. All the brewers will be hanging out there before and after the festival beginning Wednesday Night. And I agree with AlmostSiR, The Bull and Bush is my favorite Brewpub in the Denver area. Although you'll need to drive there from downtown.

Also...we didn't go there during NHC in June, but one of my favorite local breweries downtown is Pints Pub. I make a point to go there every year during GABF. Great space, good cask conditioned beers and the largest selection of Single Malt Scotch in North America.

Sadly I had no knowledge of this place when at the AHA 07:
Perhaps some locals can provide some insight:

Golden City Brewery - Golden, CO about 20 min West of Denver.

506950-Golden_City_Brewery_2nd-Golden.gif

The "second largest brewery" in Golden, Colorado, Golden City Brewing is celebrating its four year anniversary this month. The labor intensive operation appears to be making it in the tough Colorado marketplace. The crowded brewhouse holds a 7 barrel (bbl) system from Continental Breweries that features an electric brew kettle and a 14 bbl unitank. Vertical space is used efficiently with tankage perched overhead. Good use is made of second-hand equipment passed down from New Belgium Brewing as they expanded. Bottling is still a chore but the six-head wine filler eases the pain. Labels still must be manually applied.
The Golden City Red Ale has a medium body with an even flavor balance of slightly coarse malt and hops. The Bitter is a hazy dark amber with hops dominating the flavor of this thin-bodied brew. The Cherry Bomber Ale is a deep red amber color with the flavor starting malty then turning toward a slightly tart cherry, before finishing cleanly. The Oatmeal Stout opens with a rich, dark malty aroma followed by a sharp roasted flavor and accompanying medium body. The Double Cherry displays a hazy pink appearance and startles your senses with its extreme cherry aroma and flavor. Only one 55 gallon batch was made and it required three pounds of cherries per gallon of beer. A surprise find was the Centurian Barleywine. The small bottles of the one year old batch contained a smooth, full-bodied elixir that began at a 1090 Original Gravity (OG) and finished at a 1040 Terminal Gravity (TG). The newer batch is a deep amber color with a very smooth mouthfeel, nice malty flavor and great warming, alcohol finish.

Although situated among residential surroundings, the two-building operation is zoned commercial. It just happens to have stacks of half-barrel kegs next to a swing set and jungle gym. Lunch is now served in the tiny tasting room from 2 to 4 PM and bottles are available "to go". Stop by Mondays through Saturdays from 11:30 AM to 5:30 PM and enjoy the fresh taster samples. You might even get a personal brewery tour by brewmaster Chris. Lacking the tour buses of Golden's largest brewery, Golden City offers a quality product served up by a very personable staff. Survey says; "check it out".

http://www.realbeer.com/nmvbp/revgoldn.htm
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1532/

Looks like it has all of those familiar Homebrewer charms to it.

I was just in Denver for a trade show and tried Breckenridge (had some bottles at home - had to try them on tap) and Wynkoop. Breckenridge was ok, I had a whiff of the vanilla porter and it was extremely high in vanilla aroma. Drank the stout - good, and 471 IPA - very good. Got a free Autumn Ale from the radio station folks broadcasting there and didn't care for it.

Wynkoop was a pleasant surprise. I got there during a rush that came earlier than they expected because the only had 1 bartender - 3 more showed up over the next hour. Churchyard Ale - Scotch Ale on the pump - great stuff. IPA from the pump was good also. So was the stout. The ESB was way hoppier than expected, so after a third of it, I traded it for another Scotch Ale. There is a theme emerging - for the most part, pretty good beer of several varieties. Food? Good as well - I had vennison medallions in a shallot reduction that went awesome with the stout. My bar tab for 5 beers plus two sample glasses? 6 bucks!!! I laughed out loud and said they must have mixed up my tab with someone else's. They said some of my beers were comp because I had to wait too long a few times for refills and their apologies on the ESB. Definitely will go back if I am ever around.

olllllo said:
Sadly I had no knowledge of this place when at the AHA 07:
Perhaps some locals can provide some insight:

Golden City Brewery - Golden, CO about 20 min West of Denver.

[

Looks like it has all of those familiar Homebrewer charms to it.

I love Golden City. Its kinda odd, its in a residential area, and he basically sells beer from his garage and has turned the lawn into a drinking garden. Great beer, they guy/owner can be hit or miss in terms of niceness an approachability. I would recommend it if you are going to Coors or are in Golden.

Back