Fusels in Sour beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WorryWort

Reaction score
Hi,

Generally fusel alcohols don't dissipate from brew. However, does anyone have any experience on fusels in sour beers? Or long-aged oxidized beers (over 1 year)

I have a fusely flander's red which will be getting fair amounts of oxygen (via oak-peg method). I have heard that oxidized fusels can produce sherry like flavours - which would be good. But I'm also not sure the effect of lactobacillus, pedio, brett, etc...

I'm going to wait it out for sure, but because it will be a year until this is ready I'm trying to understand what might happen. If little is likely to change with respect to fusels, I will brew a second batch as well and try lower temps.

I used Wyeast Lambic Blend 3278, and I respected the ferm temps. The highest it got was probably 72F (the beer, not ambient). If you have experience with this yeast I would appreciate a comment. *I'm not worried, I'm trying to understand the issue - This isn't an 'is my beer ruined' thread!

Fusel alcohols can be "changed" to esters by combining with a fatty acid (primarily facilitated by Acetyl CoA). So, fusels can be reduced in a beer with age. Also, I believe oxygen will inhibit the formation of esters. Oxygen can promote cell growth, which in turn, inhibits the availability of Acetyl CoA... which in turn, reduces ester production.

well flanders red is my favorite beer style and I'm a simpsons fan so it just worked for this style.

why are you thinking you will have fusels? Did you have a hot initial ferment temp?

Fusels do generally reduce over time. I believe they esterify through a process that I do not know.

Edit: Doh, didn't see menschmaschine's post. Yeah, listen to him.

why are you thinking you will have fusels? Did you have a hot initial ferment temp?

Well that's the thing. I don't know if I will, as that's about a year away. But I definitely do have fusels now, I can smell 'em. For anyone just reading this, please don't misconstrue - I certainly don't expect my beer to be ready yet! The initial ferm temp wasn't too hot, 72F at the highest.

In previous beers, fusels haven't gone away. So I was curious about the effect on a warm-aged sour beer. I'm not really worried though, a year in my basement will do wonders I'm sure. Perhaps this is normal too, I honestly don't know.

Back