fusel alcohol's in Hefweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxwrench

Reaction score
I have been brewing Hefeweizens for about a year now, started with extract and specialty grain(turned out great) but the last 4 batches of hefe have been all grain and have been getting what I think is a fusel or high alcohol taste, I am using White wheat malt, german pils, crystal 10. Mashing at 153 for 60 min. 60 min boil, cooling to 75 degrees and transferring to fermentor. OG 1.053, FG 1.013. I am using temp control while fermenting and keeping within 66-70 degrees. I am using Wyeast 3068. None of my other beers are having this problem, has anyone else ran into something like this with their Hefe's. as a side note, brewed an American wheat a few months ago, nearly the same recipe but with Wyeast 1010 and it turned out fantastic.. Any ideas?

first off are you re-using your yeast? Second, when your looking at temperatures, are you measuing ambient air or beer temps?

New yeast each time, beer temp

was any of the equipment different with the other beer? If your temps are as you say that shouldn't be the cause of the fusels- possibly contamination? Looks good from what i can see meaning no glaring mistakes....

Maybe pitch at a lower temp...i've only brewed my hefe's with safale wb06 dry yeast, so couldnt tell you about yeast selection..i'd try a different strain, though, as that seems to be the common ingredient

What's your OG?

I have not had anyone else that judges or has any great knowledge in beer diagnosis but am going to take a few to my next local brewers meeting. It is possible that it is actually something else but I can't figure out what that may be, it will be interesting to see what others say, I will post my findings.. As far as pitching temp, that is something that I will try, maybe bring post boil down to 68-70 instead of the usual 75. Thanks for the insight guys.

I find, and I am by no means an expert brewer so don't quote me, that most yeasts seem to produce more fussel when fermented at the top or Pasteur top of their recommended ferm temps.

Did you pitch at 75? If so that's way too hot. Try to pitch closer to 60, and then let it warm up to 65 to 70.

I've repeatedly tried to make a great hefe, and until now have always felt like there was something off with the flavor. This time instead of fermenting at room temp, I put it in the ferm chamber at 62. I can already tell you the blowoff from the airlock smells a million times fresher and more crisp. I'm hoping this produces a stellar batch, I should know in a week or so.

I'm not sure if it would solve your problem, but I believe low 60s is the best temp for a hefe. It would def taste better at the very least.

I'm not sure if it would solve your problem, but I believe low 60s is the best temp for a hefe. It would def taste better at the very least.

low 60's will give you more clove, higher temps will give you banana, and sometimes bubblegum....all preference...so there isn't really a 'better' ferm temp with hefe's as long as you don't go too high :mug:

I have been fermenting my hefe's at 62 ramping up to 64-65 and they have been turning out great. Also using the 3068 yeast.

I pitch my hefe's @ 63-65 and slowly ramp up to 70 over 2-3 days. I kind of like the bubblegum -estery flavour though it doesn't seem to score particularly well. It does help them attenuate and keep them nice and light and refreshing though.

Could your yeast be producing more of a phenolic flavor rather than clove/banana and that is what you taste? I agree with the other posts about starting cooler.

Back