Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's "pop" around here in Minnesota, and in South Dakota where my parents live. My first job out of college was in downstate Illinois, not far from St. Louis. Everyone said "soda." But 100 miles north, it was "pop." Once I ordered a hot fudge sundae, pronouncing sundae like "Sunday." I was corrected by the waitress. They say SUN-duh. "Missouri" is muh-ZER-uh. Basically, any word that ends with a vowel gets the schwa sound.

In parts of Wisconsin, the drinking fountain is the "bubbler."

/CSB

:confused: "corn syrup" is a mostly glucose syrup with possibly some maltose. most of us brew beer with those exact ingredients in them, just from powder instead of liquid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corn_syrup

If you brew all grain, hopefully your barley doesn't have all the potentially harmful effects of modified gmo corn, which is what they are making corn syrup out of. I still stand my ground; beer should not have corn syrup as an ingredient.

If you brew all grain, hopefully your barley doesn't have all the potentially harmful effects of modified gmo corn, which is what they are making corn syrup out of. I still stand my ground; beer should not have corn syrup as an ingredient.

Is there a "funny things you read about beer in the 'funny things you've overheard about beer thread'" thread I can post this in?

Is there a "funny things you read about beer in the 'funny things you've overheard about beer thread'" thread I can post this in?

Is it in the wrong spot? Did I over complicate this typically railroaded thread? Should I have said, hey some lady said "hey, this has beer in it". Do you not like the finer things in life that making your own beer affords you? Sorry if anyone likes drinking nasty, industrialized, watered down, gmo and chemical laden beer. I did not mean to offend you. I don't care that I did, but that was not my intention. I just thought it was funny that beer was included in a product I looked at, and corn syrup was listed as an ingredient in said beer. If you have ever used corn syrup as the #2 most plentiful ingredient in you beer, say aye and show yourself.

Is it in the wrong spot? Did I over complicate this typically railroaded thread? Should I have said, hey some lady said "hey, this has beer in it". Do you not like the finer things in life that making your own beer affords you? Sorry if anyone likes drinking nasty, industrialized, watered down, gmo and chemical laden beer. I did not mean to offend you. I don't care that I did, but that was not my intention. I just thought it was funny that beer was included in a product I looked at, and corn syrup was listed as an ingredient in said beer. If you have ever used corn syrup as the #2 most plentiful ingredient in you beer, say aye and show yourself.

Eh it's all good. Someone (not me had too many to night) should email the maker and ask who supplies their beer for the product in question. For all we know they may just be miss guided that grain corn is converted in the mash.

Maybe it's hard root beer.

I could see Campbell's behind that whole craze.
Campbell's beet meeting minutes :
-gain market share in "craft" beer marketplace
-produce yet unknown product with large profit margin by using currently avaliable ingredients (gmo cerial grains, corn syrup, cream of celery?)
-make it attractive to "young adults"

Well, IPA's, with all their hops, have a lingering bitterness/tartness, citrusy sorta thing going. Smoothing that out to where some of the brightness/tartness/bitterness is gone is sorta contrary to what an IPA is to me, not having sampled one...

I haven't heard great things so far, but I like nitro beers enough that I'll probably pick some up when I see it.

I just haven't seen it yet.

One of the local places here in Pittsburgh (Mad Mex) occasionally puts an IPA up on nitro...not bad, but I sort of prefer regular carbonation for an IPA... And it does kind of affect taste as well because the aroma is different and not as up front...

One of the local places here in Pittsburgh (Mad Mex) occasionally puts an IPA up on nitro...not bad, but I sort of prefer regular carbonation for an IPA... And it does kind of affect taste as well because the aroma is different and not as up front...

Yeah... Had a pale on nitro and wasn't impressed. I usually like it, so I was disappointed when the cool nitro pour was so lackluster in the flavor dept. really took something out of that beer, which was surprising to me.

Unless it was a bad keg or lines or something like that.

What are the harmful effects of modified GMO corn? I'm not aware of a single one.

Well you see, because the genetic modifications were done in a lab using modern science, it is bad.
The genetic modifications that were done through centuries of selective breeding and random mutation, when we had no idea how any of this stuff worked, are not bad, because natural organic free range global warming paleo.

Does that explain it clearly?

It is sorta scary to think of what GMO's would produce in beer or liquor, under certain conditions. To me anyway. Idk as I'd wanna find out. Since they can mutate " normal" crops next to them...who's to say what they'll eventually wind up doing to us? To get even weirder still, some of those UFO stories claim the " aliens" are from some 1,000 years in our future, gathering genetic materials to " save" their Earth. If there's any truth to it, maybe it's a sign that GMO's are NOT the way to go? In light of their mutative qualities...:confused:

It is sorta scary to think of what GMO's would produce in beer or liquor, under certain conditions. To me anyway. Idk as I'd wanna find out. Since they can mutate " normal" crops next to them...who's to say what they'll eventually wind up doing to us? To get even weirder still, some of those UFO stories claim the " aliens" are from some 1,000 years in our future, gathering genetic materials to " save" their Earth. If there's any truth to it, maybe it's a sign that GMO's are NOT the way to go? In light of their mutative qualities...:confused:

No.

To get even weirder still, some of those UFO stories claim the " aliens" are from some 1,000 years in our future, gathering genetic materials to " save" their Earth.

Not to mention "THEY" have already infected at least 90% of half our population with the glutens. Could you even imagine not being able to eat bread because some alien probed you, and now you are allergic?

Damn Obama man.

Back