Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bubba from Forest Gump said:
Anyway, like I was sayin', IPA is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue with it, boil it, broil with it, bake with it, saute with it. There's, uh, IPA-kabobs, IPA creole, IPA gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple IPA, lemon IPA, coconut IPA, pepper IPA, IPA soup, IPA stew, IPA salad, IPA and potatoes, IPA burger, IPA sandwich. That- that's about it.

:ban:

I'm actually fairly ignorant on the matter. What is the difference between American, Australian, and Indian Pale Ales?

They are all identical save for one critical difference. Like most things Australian, one12oz AustralianPA contains enough venom to kill 10,000 men and can be ordered in the convenient sizes of pot, schooner, midi, stubby and pint.

Each of the seven states/territories having different measures for each, of course.:D

There all identical save for one critical difference. Like most things Australian, one12oz AustralianPA contains enough venom to kill 10,000 men and can be ordered in the convenient sizes of pot, schooner, midi, stubby and pint.

Each of the seven states/territories having different measures for each, of course.:D

you should really try an Australian IIPA. I opened one once in a zoo and all the animals fell over dead at once. the elephants almost made it.

...West Coast IPAs, East Coast IPAs, Belgian IPAs, brown IPAs, sour IPAs...

"...shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it."

"...shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it."

Guess who doesn't read the thread!

11666318_979322342089299_6667681932301708319_n.jpg

So if an ipa isn't pale shouldn't it be called something else. It may not be considered a funny thing I heard about beer, but I think it should be sometimes especially when it's a black India pale ale.

So if an ipa isn't pale shouldn't it be called something else. It may not be considered a funny thing I heard about beer, but I think it should be sometimes especially when it's a black India pale ale.

we've tackled the subject more than once. the best (ha. ha. ha.) defense I've heard so far is basically put: breweries call an amber color beer an India Pale Ale, so all ideas of logic go out the window. based on this argument, I'm gonna call my next Sweet Stout a Neo English Black Saison IIIPA, Jr., III.

we've tackled the subject more than once. the best (ha. ha. ha.) defense I've heard so far is basically put: breweries call an amber color beer an India Pale Ale, so all ideas of logic go out the window. based on this argument, I'm gonna call my next Sweet Stout a Neo English Black Saison IIIPA, Jr., III.

*Imperial Mild

Guess who doesn't read the thread!

Eh, I read it, but really, more than half the comments are OT, so what's the big deal? Nothing to see here, move along...

As for the matter of India Pale Ale (not 'Indian'), India was where they were originally destined to go, not where they were invented. They'd become popular during the British Raj with the Tommy Atkinses and the colonial authorities, because they suited the climate better than porter did (though the story that they were highly hopped mainly to preserve them for the long sea voyage is apparently a myth, or at least greatly overstated - porters of the time often had equally high hopping rates, though unlike IPA they were rarely dry-hopped). They were called 'pale' in comparison to the styles usually found back home at the time, but were still darker than the Czech Pilsener that arose a few decades later. The style was brought back to England by returning soldiers, and eventually evolved into the whole range of pales ales and bitters seen today.

Modern IPAs from the UK and Belgium (who picked up the pale ale styles in WW I, I gather, though IPA specifically seems to have only really caught on recently) tend to focus on balancing the hops with malt, and as with pale ales in general, are golden to amber in color (though it tends towards the lighter end of the color range). They generally use British or European hops, often just one type; EKG is the classic EIPA hop, while Tettnanger seems to be typical in BIPAs. The biggest differences in the two styles are the base malts - Belgian IPAs often use Pilsener malts and add crystal malts for color - and, more importantly, the yeasts, with BIPAs often have a certain amount of typical Belgian funk (though much less pronounced than with other Belgian styles). EIPA has a cleaner fermentation, but generally still has some characteristic fruity or caramel tones. Both are hoppy by local standards, but not as much as American beers tend to be. In the UK, there's some overlap between IPA and Extra Special Bitter, with IPA usually being a bit stronger but much hoppier than ESB.

American IPAs had existed before Prohibition but had come close to vanishing in the 1940s - for a long time, Ballantine was pretty much the only one with any wide distribution, and was known mainly for its unique flavor that came from aging in American oak (which has a much stronger flavor impact than French or English oaks). It became a revival style in the 1990s, and really took off in the past five years or so as a sort of backlash against the Belgian styles that were dominating the craft market from 2000 to 2010. AIPA is generally yellow to golden in color (but can be amber), uses a wide variety of hops with citrusy American strains being most common, is fermented with cleaner yeasts, and emphasizes the hops a lot more than those from the UK or Europe. Blends of different hops, especially in the aroma hops, are common and finding a good mix of hop flavors and aromas is a big matter for AIPA brewing.

Imperial IPA is a (mostly) American style that first appeared around 2008 (I think) and takes its name in comparison to Russian Imperial Stout; it's also known as Double IPA, though IME the ones with the double IPA label tend to be maltier (this could be just me, though). It takes the basic AIPA formula and pushes the envelope on everything, but where it really, really goes the extra distance is on hop rates - often right up to the maximum taste threshold for bitterness (around 120 IBU, IIRC) or beyond, with elaborate hop schedules and massive dry hopping loads. Its a love-it-or-hate-it, in your face style that tends to get highly polarized opinions. Even more than AIPA, it is a style that is subject to considerable experimentation.

So called black IPA, sometimes called India Black Ale or Cascadian Dark Ale, is basically an American IPA with added roast malts, and first appeared around 2010 if I am not mistaken. There seems to be a difference of opinion as to both the name of the sub-style and what degree of roast malt flavor it should have; a lot of brewers add the black malt at the end of the mash, to limit the roasted flavor, but others dismiss this as just food coloring and seek to have a noticeable roast quality in it, though never to the degree of a porter or stout. From what I understand, Brown IPA, Red IPA and white IPA are basically larger, hoppier versions of American brown ale, Irish red ale, and American wheat ale, respectively, though they are still evolving as styles so they may eventually have more defined style characteristics.

Ah, that's too much of a mouthful...I think we should just call it George...

... From what I understand, Brown IPA, Red IPA and white IPA are basically larger, hoppier versions of American brown ale, Irish red ale, and American wheat ale, respectively, though they are still evolving as styles so they may eventually have more defined style characteristics.

I thought White IPAs (at least those in the strain of Deschutes Chainbreaker, which I thought was one of the first) were hopped up Belgian Wits, not American Wheats. Belgian yeast, orange and corriander, etc.

I thought White IPAs (at least those in the strain of Deschutes Chainbreaker, which I thought was one of the first) were hopped up Belgian Wits, not American Wheats. Belgian yeast, orange and corriander, etc.

This is true. A white IPA is more of a witbier than an IPA. It's usually hopped up with some American hops but not usually to the extent of a regular American IPA. mmmm, I could go for one right now

This is true. A white IPA is more of a witbier than an IPA. It's usually hopped up with some American hops but not usually to the extent of a regular American IPA. mmmm, I could go for one right now

Yeah, a Chainbreaker would be real nice. Or Boulevard 80 Acre, or I could brew one and wait til August.

All three. I'm going to do all three.

“For their own good, vegetarians should never be allowed near fine beers and ales. It will only make them loud and belligerent, and they lack the physical strength and aggressive nature to back up any drunken assertions.” -A. Bourdain.

Minus the drug addiction, I would love to have his life.

I'd say it's whatever the brewer says it is, unless you're trying to stick to BJCP guidelines. It's not really a traditional style and I'd argue it's being stylized right now.

In most cases I've seen, and in this thread it's called a White IPA right? I think that should give it away as to what it's intended to be originally right? Or am I mis-translating Wit?
(Hint: I'm not. It means white.)

But boulevard 80 acre is a hopped up American wheat beer.

Funniest thing recently. Founders relabeling Breakfast Stout because of law regarding the use of images of minors on alcoholic beverage labels. The funny part is the phone number on the fridge actually is a recorded message and you can leave a voicemail. I'll let you call the number for the message.

19835802336_cc98e1a35d.jpg

at a chain steakhouse, celebrating the end of the BigHair's unemployment

DC Brau's The Public is an American Pale Ale, their IPA is called The Corruption

I didn't say anything because I was enjoying my imperial pint and didn't want to be the know-it-all beer snob.

I did rat them out to the brewers

2015-07-22 21.42.01.jpg

“For their own good, vegetarians should never be allowed near fine beers and ales. It will only make them loud and belligerent, and they lack the physical strength and aggressive nature to back up any drunken assertions.” -A. Bourdain.

That, and the fact that yeasties are living creatures, and you'd be a MONSTER to kill them. :fro:

Funniest thing recently. Founders relabeling Breakfast Stout because of law regarding the use of images of minors on alcoholic beverage labels. The funny part is the phone number on the fridge actually is a recorded message and you can leave a voicemail. I'll let you call the number for the message.

19835802336_cc98e1a35d.jpg

Ha! If you call it, you literally overhear something funny about beer. Awesome.

At a grocery store in NY state, looking at the craft brew single bottles. An older couple was looking for a bottle of beer for a friend. They ask me, a fellow customer, for suggestions.

Me: "Well, what kind of beer does your friend like?"
Couple: "He likes dark beers. He drinks Molson."
Me: "Well, then I wouldn't recommend that bottle of English IPA you are holding."

I once heard someone who should have known better say that mash temperatures don't make a bit of difference to how fermentable the wort is - i.e. as long as you're between 146 and 160 (or something like that), it won't matter if you "mash low or mash high." F.G. in other words is a crapshoot that's only affected by the yeast variety.

Well actually...
Mash temp is not much of a factor anymore with the modern highly modified grains. There's a thread about it here somewhere. Someone documented some tests they ran, maybe it was Kai? With certain malts it didn't much matter what temp you use, it always comes out the same.

Well actually...
Mash temp is not much of a factor anymore with the modern highly modified grains. There's a thread about it here somewhere. Someone documented some tests they ran, maybe it was Kai? With certain malts it didn't much matter what temp you use, it always comes out the same.

You got a link? :confused:

Back