Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where do I begin?

Back in highschool I thought it wasn't just legal to buy a Mr. Beer kit underage, but also perfectly legal to brew underage. It was something we all believed, never tried.

Heard Coors described as "rich."

My buddies and I used to drink Guinness straight from the bottle, yes the bottles with the ping pong (sarcasm) in them.

Definitely a victim of the Utah beer is weaker. Hard not to believe it when they put a sticker on the cases of beer on base that says "STRONG BEER."

I've learned more about beer from this thread than I've learned anywhere else, specifically my most recent blunder of throwing stouts and porters in the fridge while leaving out ales to warm up before drinking. Still not clear on the best temperature to drink what...

I'm gettin there though!!! Starting with a book my wife bought me laying out limited history and descriptions of beers from around the world.

Did y'all know they used to soak bread and then ferment it to make beer!?! NUTS!!!

Where do I begin?

Back in highschool I thought it wasn't just legal to buy a Mr. Beer kit underage, but also perfectly legal to brew underage. It was something we all believed, never tried.

Heard Coors described as "rich."

My buddies and I used to drink Guinness straight from the bottle, yes the bottles with the ping pong (sarcasm) in them.

Definitely a victim of the Utah beer is weaker. Hard not to believe it when they put a sticker on the cases of beer on base that says "STRONG BEER."

I've learned more about beer from this thread than I've learned anywhere else, specifically my most recent blunder of throwing stouts and porters in the fridge while leaving out ales to warm up before drinking. Still not clear on the best temperature to drink what...

I'm gettin there though!!! Starting with a book my wife bought me laying out limited history and descriptions of beers from around the world.

Did y'all know they used to soak bread and then ferment it to make beer!?! NUTS!!!

The early Germanic tribes used to soak partly baked torn up bread in water to ferment. This is the drink the Roman Legions used to call, " Pig swallow". Those early Germans must've cut off their berries for saying that. Isn't history fun?:rockin:

The eatly Germanic tribes used to soak partly baked torn up bread in water to ferment. This is the drink the Roman Legions used to call, " Pig swallow". Those early Germans must've cut off their berries for saying that. Isn't history fun?:rockin:

Russian kvass is made that way too.

The more you know...

Reminds me of pap. He liked corn bread chunked up in his morning coffee.

Hah.. my gramps would get a cereal that was like shredded wheat, but they were like 6 inch pieces. Would put them in a bowl of milk when he got up and not eat it until it was absolute mush. Always freaked me out as a kid. Doesn't sound half bad now :cross:

Hah.. my gramps would get a cereal that was like shredded wheat, but they were like 6 inch pieces. Would put them in a bowl of milk when he got up and not eat it until it was absolute mush. Always freaked me out as a kid. Doesn't sound half bad now :cross:
Sounds like weetabix. I recommend a protein rest.

Yeah, I remember the old school shredded wheat in those big pieces. No sweetener either. Wasn't bad with sugar or honey on it with the milk. Seems to me pap did that one too on occasion?

Blurf... that definitely looks about right. Although it seems after being in the Navy for so long, you aren't very picky about food. All my friends that were in the Navy eat some weird, bland, overcooked or boiled to death food too..

Blurf... that definitely looks about right. Although it seems after being in the Navy for so long, you aren't very picky about food. All my friends that were in the Navy eat some weird, bland, overcooked or boiled to death food too..

I think that going through survival school a couple times does something to the palate too. I even eat roadkill.:D

Must have something to do which side of the ocean surface you are on. Stepson says the food served, under the surface, tends to bend a sailor towards over eating.

Must have something to do which side of the ocean surface you are on. Stepson says the food served, under the surface, tends to bend a sailor towards over eating.

I don't even attempt to understand what happens in service. I was turned away due to having heart surgery when I was a child. My friend however, was on a submarine for the entirety of his service and now that he is home... he is the one that boils all his food to death. Oh well. At 6'5" I don't think I would fit on a sub anyway.

Yeah, I remember the old school shredded wheat in those big pieces. No sweetener either. Wasn't bad with sugar or honey on it with the milk. Seems to me pap did that one too on occasion?

I remember that from when I was a kid. It was in a red box. Just frosted shredded wheat vs mini wheat. You could only fit like 5-6 in a bowl.

I remember that from when I was a kid. It was in a red box. Just frosted shredded wheat vs mini wheat. You could only fit like 5-6 in a bowl.

I remember ones bigger than that. 3 in a bowl, max

my papa would eat Grape Nuts (Euell Gibbons, "many parts of a pine tree are edible!") and put Wheat Germ on it.

holy floccin' gak, that was nasty

I don't even attempt to understand what happens in service. I was turned away due to having heart surgery when I was a child. My friend however, was on a submarine for the entirety of his service and now that he is home... he is the one that boils all his food to death. Oh well. At 6'5" I don't think I would fit on a sub anyway.

We had a 6'5" sailor on my sub. That is the limit if I remember correctly. He most always had a scab on his fore head. I thought sub food was pretty good considering no fresh ingredients to start prep with.

As for something funny and brewing related we did have some guys try to make jungle brew. A plastic jug filled with koolaid, sugar, some dried fruit and bread yeast. Stuck back in the engine room, probably a good 85 degrees most of the time. I didn't taste it but was told it was pretty nasty but has some kick.

Oh the us navy..I had the best coffee in the world there..baught roasted beans on some Caribbean islands.st.Martine I believe. .then we steeped it in a French press that we set on a steam pipe that we peeled a flap of insulation off of...yummm..I never thaught of making hooch though..

funny thing about this thread

my last post, #7993, is showing up BEFORE the post from n240sxguy that I quoted, #7994

Back