Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if they just say 'IPA' because it changes from time to time, depending on what's available from their distributor?

I think yeah that could be true. I also know that I'm the type of person with that list that would pick the IPA regardless of who made it.

As for the flavors comment... Had that happen yesterday. Bought some Oskar Blues G'Knight yesterday that my bro and I were sharing. He goes "man, this really has a lot of uh, flavor"

I wonder if they just say 'IPA' because it changes from time to time, depending on what's available from their distributor?

I've been at a restaurant, where the waiter told me they had bud light and IPA.
Didn't bother with asking further questions. In his defense the can said IPA in big letters and the rest of the info was like fine print.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Reminds me of the days of generic beer. White can with black letters "BEER" on it.
Out here, 'generic' cans were tan colored.

I used to make beer runs across the river into Arizona, because I read the fine print on what was sold there and realized it was Pearl Beer from Texas.... at the time, Pearl beer was as good as any commercial beer in the country.

I left a box of bombers of my Porter at my Mom's. It was the one that just won first in a local brewing contest.

One of her "gentleman" friends (Moms 80, he's 86) tried it and told her "It tastes like real beer!"

He went on to say it reminded him of Guiness.

He also asked her for a few bottles to take home with him.

All in all, I'll take it as a complement and graciously say, Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it."

Out here, 'generic' cans were tan colored.

I used to make beer runs across the river into Arizona, because I read the fine print on what was sold there and realized it was Pearl Beer from Texas.... at the time, Pearl beer was as good as any commercial beer in the country.

I had to laugh when I saw that the white generic beer cans were used in one of the Deer Avenger video games I have. Bambo made a wise crack at finding the empty generic cans as "human sign".

I left a box of bombers of my Porter at my Mom's. It was the one that just won first in a local brewing contest.

One of her "gentleman" friends (Moms 80, he's 86) tried it and told her "It tastes like real beer!"

He went on to say it reminded him of Guiness.

He also asked her for a few bottles to take home with him.

All in all, I'll take it as a complement and graciously say, Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it."
"Tastes like real beer"? I don't think you could ask for a better compliment than that. :mug:

I had to laugh when I saw that the white generic beer cans were used in one of the Deer Avenger video games I have. Bambo made a wise crack at finding the empty generic cans as "human sign".

I don't know if you've ever seen it. But there's a Far Side cartoon by Gary Larson that shows a deer with a bull's eye on his chest, and another one saying to him, "bummer of a birth mark, Hal."

Reminds me of the days of generic beer. White can with black letters "BEER" on it.

Kroeger brand, IIRC

generic-beer.jpg

I don't know if you've ever seen it. But there's a Far Side cartoon by Gary Larson that shows a deer with a bull's eye on his chest, and another one saying to him, "bummer of a birth mark, Hal."

Love that one! Also loved the 'boneless chicken ranch'!

Gawd I miss Far Side....... best cartoon EVER, no offense intended to Charlie Brown or Doonesbury or the like....Just freakin' consistently hilarious

Well actually, BMC is not an acronym, it's an abbreviation, since the letters don't produce a pronounceable word.

There, now you've been introduced to "Well actually..." and derailment, two more very common HBT phenomena. Welcome friend!

Well actually, "BMC" is an initialism which, to be fair, is a kind of abbreviation.

"Initialisms are made from the first letter (or letters) of a string of words, but can't be pronounced as words themselves. Examples include FBI, CIA, FYI (for your information), and PR (public relations).

Acronyms are made from the first letter (or letters) of a string of words but are pronounced as if they were words themselves. Examples include NASA, NIMBY (not in my backyard), and hazmat* (hazardous materials).

Abbreviations are any shortened form of a word."

Source

Well actually, "BMC" is an initialism which, to be fair, is a kind of abbreviation.

"Initialisms are made from the first letter (or letters) of a string of words, but can't be pronounced as words themselves. Examples include FBI, CIA, FYI (for your information), and PR (public relations).

Acronyms are made from the first letter (or letters) of a string of words but are pronounced as if they were words themselves. Examples include NASA, NIMBY (not in my backyard), and hazmat* (hazardous materials).

Abbreviations are any shortened form of a word."

Source

now I know this

it's called, "learning"

try to do it every dang day

Also, sentences can't be started with and.

Sure they can. The use of "and" to begin a sentence goes back as far as the tenth century. It's accepted nowadays. The use evolved from using old fashioned phrases like "in addition" or "also" to just using "and" because it's the shortest distance to the point. It makes no sense why "also" can begin a sentence but "and" can't.

No, "is" is correct - the subject is "lack", which is singular, even though its a "lack" of more than one thing.

I appreciate you having my back but well actually... :D

Wrong use of hyphen, commas go inside quotation marks, and I'm not sure you need commas at all here. You could just say, "'Lack' is singular." I don't think you need the second set of quotes on lack either.

English is fun.

Disclaimer: This is all in good fun for me and I'm not trying to be antagonistic. :mug:

No, "is" is correct - the subject is "lack", which is singular, even though its a "lack" of more than one thing.

English is a tough language :)

Gotta love people that fix things incorrectly. Happens all the time in every aspect of life. Even when you fix things correctly, they could be incorrect.

Fishing last week on Missouri with Bud & Lite drinkers. Lite guy drank 4 beers and a couple Chuck Norris' the night before, so I gave him a tug of my blond ale as he was hung over(just a little guy who rarely drinks). He nicely said it was good, but tasted too much like beer. Two Bud guys were dry, so I gave each a glass of my brew. One is a pro and added it to the other 18 Buds he drank while fishing, other got bulldozed and was curled up outside the camper within ten minutes, blaming the spins on my satan juice.

Wow, you guys are real interested in my response! I'm flattered :)

I personally am not a fan of grammar nazis or whatever you want to call them in threads, I don't think they add much value to the conversation. I would never respond to someone purely to correct their usage of english.

I definitely will correct someone (well, actually . . . ) if they are going to point out a "mistake" someone made that isn't actually a mistake; just like brewing, theres a lot of misinformation out there about english usage.

Definitely enjoyed reading the responses, though, I feel like the prettiest girl at the thread-derailment ball :)

I definitely will correct someone (well, actually . . . ) if they are going to point out a "mistake" someone made that isn't actually a mistake; just like brewing, theres a lot of misinformation out there about english usage.

Definitely enjoyed reading the responses, though, I feel like the prettiest girl at the thread-derailment ball :)

I'm with you. As long as you can get your point across reasonably well, I'll make no noise. I may seethe inside, but I'll be polite. :D Besides, with some of the finer points in discussion above, there are very insightful linguists and grammarians that disagree. I'd like to think we have some leeway in how we write, while still being "correct."

Once you start correcting someone else for no good reason, and make mistakes in doing so, you've just stepped into the Thunderdome. Cross that line, and I see no reason to have mercy.

Don't you just love when an outraged message about lack of punctuation contains a dozen !!!!!!!!, ? As if in attempt to use all those missing punctuations, so they don't feel left out.

Not to be critical or anything, just a funny thing I heard about beer (thread participants).

Then it's really not funny. Would anyone else like a blonde ale?

Wouldn't mind trying a blonde ale. Haven't brewed one yet. Just made me think of Tuko,"Hey blondiiiieeee! You know what you aaaaare? You're a dirty stinking no good son of a wa wa wa"...:D:rockin: The Good,The bad,& the Infected...

Back