Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This isn't exactly about beer, but I just got back from by LHBS. As I was walking in, I noticed a fella with a bag of product walking to his vehicle. This isn't anything noteworthy, except he got in a big white van that said "BUD LITE" on the side...Pretty sure he was a distributor

ForumRunner_20131127_122646.jpg

Congratulations to what looks like your wedding and that great looking kilt.

Not my wedding was a buddies whose family is full blood Scottish, Freakin 100 degree weather and a wool kilt was not the greatest for my unmentionables. Needless to say i got no play that night.

I remember when I thought Killians Red was the **** and I had moved "beyond" Bud Ice... I try to keep that in mind when I hear my inner beer snob coming out.

:drunk:

There was a time that I loved Killians Red too. Thought it was "what fine beer is all about". Of course this was back before I even thought about brewing my own. It wasn't long after that I was at the Denver International Airport waiting for a flight and I migrated to the bar. I asked the bartender for something good because I didn't see Killians on tap. I was served a SNPA. This was before SN was distributed where I lived in KY and I never heard of it before. That first taste was like having bandages pulled away from my eyes and I could see for the first time. It was an almost religious moment. It wasn't long after that and I was digging out my fathers old brewing equipment I inherited and had in the back of the garage.

Had a similar situation, I help out at a small brewery and one Sunday afternoon a lady came in with 2 growlers, she asked for the deposit back on "these jugs my husband brought home". Tried to explain the he bought them, she didn't get it.

Wait... are growlers not refundable with deposits where you are? All of the breweries around here who sell growlers price them with a deposit. That is, a growler of beer is $12 plus $4 deposit, so it costs $16. You can bring it back empty and exchange it for a fresh, full one for just the cost of the beer ($12), or just return it empty and get your $4 deposit back.

Doesn't it work that way everywhere?

Not my wedding was a buddies whose family is full blood Scottish, Freakin 100 degree weather and a wool kilt was not the greatest for my unmentionables. Needless to say i got no play that night.

This is why I love baby powder. I don't want a no-play type of a situation.

Wait... are growlers not refundable with deposits where you are? All of the breweries around here who sell growlers price them with a deposit. That is, a growler of beer is $12 plus $4 deposit, so it costs $16. You can bring it back empty and exchange it for a fresh, full one for just the cost of the beer ($12), or just return it empty and get your $4 deposit back.

Not is the US, at least I have never heard of that. The breweries I go to are about $6 for a growler and its yours to keep.

Not is the US, at least I have never heard of that. The breweries I go to are about $6 for a growler and its yours to keep.

I don't get it - can you at least bring your own and have them fill it for you? Surely you're not required to buy a whole new $6 growler every time you want a growler of beer, are you?? Good grief, what would you do with the ever-growing pile of $6 growlers you'd amass? Too expensive to throw out, too many to re-use... someone fill me in here. I'm missing something obvious.

You can re-fill growlers you own. Where it becomes a major PIA though are breweries who will only fill their own growlers (or growlers with nothing printed on them.) Or states that mandate the growler have the breweries name on the growler and they can only fill those. That's when you end up with a collection. Until you ship them out in trades! :mug:

I don't get it - can you at least bring your own and have them fill it for you? Surely you're not required to buy a whole new $6 growler every time you want a growler of beer, are you?? Good grief, what would you do with the ever-growing pile of $6 growlers you'd amass? Too expensive to throw out, too many to re-use... someone fill me in here. I'm missing something obvious.

In California, you have to buy a growler for each brewery. They can't fill "generic" growlers, or ones from other breweries. Nanny-State law.

So I end up with a Stone growler, an Iron Fist growler, a Lost Abbey/Port Brewing growler, etc. They can be refilled, but only at the respective brewery.

I couldn't even tell you if they take the growlers back, I always get them refilled.

got one refilled just 2 hours ago. Lost Rhino's Lost & Proper Wee Heavy.

not even sure a strong Scotch ale will pair well with Thanksgiving turkey, but I'm gonna find out.

In California, you have to buy a growler for each brewery. They can't fill "generic" growlers, or ones from other breweries."

That law has changed. Starting Jan. 1, 2014, they will be able to fill any growler. Additionally, home brewers will be able to

In California, you have to buy a growler for each brewery. They can't fill "generic" growlers, or ones from other breweries."

That law has changed. Starting Jan. 1, 2014, they will be able to fill any growler. Additionally, home brewers will be permitted to sell beer to benefit nonprofit organizations. You will be able to sell a six pack at church auctions. There are some other rules changes as will.

http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml;jsessionid=b36ad3ea01eccf10f0577440434f

Not overheard, but directed at me.

So there I am, loitering at the bottom of A-Basin, just drinking in the view after a day of snowboarding. This guy notices my Maryland Deathfest:)rockin:) t-shirt and we start shooting the breeze. In the midst of our chat he offers me a beer from the cooler in the trunk of his car.

"Maybe," says I, "what have you got?" Considering this is Colorado, I'm pretty confident he'll have something I'd like. We do like our brew up here.

"Molson Ice and Warsteiner."

"No thanks, man. Appreciate it though."

He laughs and slaps me on the back. "Yeah sorry, bro, I don't have Coors Light and Keystone! I only drink the good stuff!"

Just finished cooking dinner for my family and settling into watch some televiOH MY GOD I JUST GREW A VAGINA!!!!

Pics or it didn't happen hahaha

Didn't feel like cooking tonight and went to a local joint with the family. I'm pretty sure I was served some bmc garbage on accident but didn't complain to the server. Maybe I grew one haha

GrogNerd said:
not even sure a strong Scotch ale will pair well with Thanksgiving turkey, but I'm gonna find out.
^^^
This is something funny I read about beer. ;)

Strong Scotch Ale pairs with everything, including more Strong Scotch Ale. :D

^^^
This is something funny I read about beer. ;)

Strong Scotch Ale pairs with everything, including more Strong Scotch Ale. :D

I'm not overly concerned.

my palate wasn't that great to begin with, navy chow wrecked it completely.

the upside is that anything that isn't completely foul tastes pretty good to me. the downside is that people describe tastes in a beer that I just don't get.

beer pairs with everything, especially more beer. :D

that's better

ChshreCat said:
That's gotta be the stupidest thing I've read on here, and I've read some pretty stupid stuff.

I call B.S. on that also...a guys makes one little sexist comment and a bunch of nancy's get their panty's in a bunch!

ChshreCat said:
Just finished cooking dinner for my family and settling into watch some televiOH MY GOD I JUST GREW A VAGINA!!!!

Now THAT is one of the funniest things I've read on this thread!

Back