Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BudzAndSudz said:
Not really something I overheard, but yesterday I was at the LHBS getting some stuff for my next brew and saw an elderly gentlemen just casually eating little bits of all the grains they have in stock. He said hi to me and then mentioned that he never brews with a recipe, he just likes to taste what the grains have to offer and then build a beer around that. I thought that was a damn cool approach so I stuck around to see what happened, and I watched him build a beer with about 5lbs of base malt (pilsner), and about 1/2lb of literally every single roasted or dark kilned malt on the rack..... probably about 20 of them. I like his approach, but good lord am I ever happy I don't have to drink that beer.
And you didnt stop him?! Shame on you! :p

I brewed a mild with about 6oz each of roasted barley, torrified wheat, chocolate malt, brown malt, and biscuit malt. I was going for complex and I ended up with a weird, slightly astringent hazelnut flavor.

Maybe that old guy's beer will turn out OK but I wouldn't count on it.

Maybe all the specialty malts weren't for the same beer. I mean 10 whole pounds plus five of a base. Something tells me he was a stovetop brewer.

wailingguitar said:
Fresh hop is the preferred term over wet hop for the sake of clarity

Emjay is correct about dry hopping being post chilling. Also, as noted, if you dry hop before FG is reached you lose something... it's a trade off between speeding the process and losing some hop character. I found on the commercial scale that I had to increase my dry hop addition by about 10% to compensate. There are, in my opinion only 2 reasons to dry hop before FG is reached 1) speeding the process (more important in a commercial setting) and 2) fermenting in a sealed vessel with a spundig (you don't want to open the fermenter and lose CO2)

Depending on who you're buying from, fresh hops can also mean recently picked, dried hops (not sure if freshly pelletized hops counts). Wet hops always(?) means recently picked undried hops. Technically you can freeze wet hops, but I'm not sure what the result would be. Wet hops have an extremely short shelf life.

With the advent of hop union packaging and people freezing their hops, I'm not sure how much the "fresh" concept really matters. But I still pay for the harvest beers that use them (go figure).

Depending on who you're buying from, fresh hops can also mean recently picked, dried hops (not sure if freshly pelletized hops counts). Wet hops always(?) means recently picked undried hops. Technically you can freeze wet hops, but I'm not sure what the result would be. Wet hops have an extremely short shelf life.

With the advent of hop union packaging and people freezing their hops, I'm not sure how much the "fresh" concept really matters. But I still pay for the harvest beers that use them (go figure).

This is what I was on my way to post -- in particular, SN has a slightly testy message on their website about how Celebration is "fresh hopped" and why that is a useful term even though it isn't the same as "wet hopped". :)

Thanks everyone for your replies to my hop question. I now understand the terminology much better, convoluted as it is. In an attempt to get back to funny things about beer, I have this great image of all of us standing around on the Berkshire Brewing Company tour having this wet/dry hop discussion with the two ladies behind llan34.

Thanks everyone for your replies to my hop question. I now understand the terminology much better, convoluted as it is. In an attempt to get back to funny things about beer, I have this great image of all of us standing around on the Berkshire Brewing Company tour having this wet/dry hop discussion with the two ladies behind llan34.
While the tour guides face turn purple. :D

New guy at work was asking me about HB, so I asked him what his go to brew is. His response... "Steel Reserve" I couldn't stop the belly laugh that ensued. That my friends is a result of being born in raised in Baltimore can do to a person.

New guy at work was asking me about HB, so I asked him what his go to brew is. His response... "Steel Reserve" I couldn't stop the belly laugh that ensued. That my friends is a result of being born in raised in Baltimore can do to a person.

Not really a defense of the guy but given a coors light and a Steel Reserve...Which would you choose. Steel reserve does not have a good flavor but it has flavor.

On your post though. I have a co-worker who keeps asking for some of my homebrew and I tell him I rarely bottle AND we cannot have alcohol anywhere on the refinery property including the parking lots (wise choice on their part). Swing by the house as it is two blocks from your route home. "by the way, what is you favorite beer?" Response, "The good stuff, Michelob dark before it was not longer available." I have an overhopped dark mild and a Rye stout on tap right now.

I told him to wait until spring when I made a bathc of Honey Wheat (aka leg-spreader ale as termed by a female co-worker when she and many others made some ill advised decisions after the 4-5 British pints of the stuff). Not that I want him making bad decisions but I doubt his first foray into homebrew should be either of my current beers.

Not really a defense of the guy but given a coors light and a Steel Reserve...Which would you choose. Steel reserve does not have a good flavor but it has flavor.

On your post though. I have a co-worker who keeps asking for some of my homebrew and I tell him I rarely bottle AND we cannot have alcohol anywhere on the refinery property including the parking lots (wise choice on their part). Swing by the house as it is two blocks from your route home. "by the way, what is you favorite beer?" Response, "The good stuff, Michelob dark before it was not longer available." I have an overhopped dark mild and a Rye stout on tap right now.

I told him to wait until spring when I made a bathc of Honey Wheat (aka leg-spreader ale as termed by a female co-worker when she and many others made some ill advised decisions after the 4-5 British pints of the stuff). Not that I want him making bad decisions but I doubt his first foray into homebrew should be either of my current beers.
Uh....

Can I maybe order up a keg or two of that Honey Wheat?

I thought the margins on craft beer were still tight. Beer will always be a volumes game, just like most things the best way to maximise profit is to maximise volume.
I have read an article that actually was to try and convince bar owners to drop their margins on craft beer so that the actual $$ amount was similar to that of BMC - the mentality was that you would sell more of a premium product that is only $1-2 more than the BMC (instead of $3-5) and in turn bring in more money.

You've got it all wrong. "craft beer" is any beer that gives me a feeling of smug satisfaction when I order it while my friends drink BMC. :mug:

Onkel_Udo said:

Sod the recipe I want details of the "questionable decisions" made by a female coworker that led to her giving it that name.

Oh and usual rules..... Pics or it didn't happen lol

Actually,compared to michelobe dark,the dark mild would be better & kinda similar. The mich dark wasn't bad,& the pop top bottles look like the old fused neck kind. I still have a few in rotation & want some more of the fused neck style bottles;
http://[URL=http://s563.photobucket.com/user/unionrdr/media/PICT0001-2_zps6aa2c0ae.jpg.html] [/URL]

Non-beer drinkning co-worker was trying to take an interest in my beer hobby. We were discussing the rise of craft brew, and how it's up to a whopping 6% of the US market now.

He asks if I've "ever tried Blue Moon?" (MillerCoors, btw) "It's basically like Corona with orange flavor right?" I guess this is the one 'craft' beer he's had, lol.

BeerGrylls said:
Non-beer drinkning co-worker was trying to take an interest in my beer hobby. We were discussing the rise of craft brew, and how it's up to a whopping 6% of the US market now.

He asks if I've "ever tried Blue Moon?" (MillerCoors, btw) "It's basically like Corona with orange flavor right?" I guess this is the one 'craft' beer he's had, lol.

You got to give it to him for trying

My wife and I had some friends over recently, and the lady used to be a bartender and considers herself an expert in the craft beer industry. She swore up and down that a certain brewery in Munster IN is relocating to Indianapolis. I thought that was funny.

amfukuda said:
You got to give it to him for trying

+1. If not for blue moon and sam adams is not be into home brewing or craft beer. It seems to be the "gateway" beers. Most that have tried my beers compare them to blue moon

I was talking to a coworker about brewing my own beer and she commented that it sounded like one of the manliest hobbies you could take up. I mentioned that there's even an online homebrewers group I'm a member of and she asked me what I did on HBT.

"Um.... we trade recipes a lot."

Funny thing is since I have started to homebrew I have also found myself getting interested in making other things from scratch. Some are out of my graspe due to price/time (both to DIY and do - HB always takes priority:D)
I have started to get into making my own bagels (much better than the ones we can buy at 1/10th the price!)
I want to start smoking (not tabaco/etc.), making hot sauce and making more meals without relying on bottled sauces, etc.

I was talking to a coworker about brewing my own beer and she commented that it sounded like one of the manliest hobbies you could take up. I mentioned that there's even an online homebrewers group I'm a member of and she asked me what I did on HBT.

Haha this is great

+1 for home steading.

Today:

British girl - you brew beer, how?

Me - with grain and water.

Bg - like Jesus?

Me - yes, just like Jesus.

Bg- you taking a piss? ( British for pulling my leg)

Me- nope, I'm pretty sure we use the same process and everything.

Bg- ( pondering look on face )so American beer came from Jesus, lovely.

Me- ( face Palm )

Quite manly!

This is a little off the usual topics, but it is something beer-related that I heard...

Guy I see at work once in a while who was also in a homebrewing workshop with me at my LHBS. I ask him how his beer is going. Turns out he boiled, fermented, bottled, everything's fine... until he's putting on his last few caps and realizes the packet of priming sugar is still on the counter.

But his packet of PBW powder is gone...

wingedcoyote said:
This is a little off the usual topics, but it is something beer-related that I heard... Guy I see at work once in a while who was also in a homebrewing workshop with me at my LHBS. I ask him how his beer is going. Turns out he boiled, fermented, bottled, everything's fine... until he's putting on his last few caps and realizes the packet of priming sugar is still on the counter. But his packet of PBW powder is gone...

That's funny as ****. I could see me making the same mistake and I would be pissed.

Random drunk girl at this bar I'm at right now just warned me that the IPA I'm ordering is "really hoppy" and that I should try a sample first.

The pint I ordered is my sample. I've never had the 10 Barrel Apocalyptic IPA before.

Latest posts

Back