Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dad lives about two hours away or so. When he found out I brew he asked if I could come and brew something sometime. Mind you, he doesn't have the patience to bake a pie, let alone brew a beer. I had to explain to him that its a process. When my mom found out she said, don't become an alcoholic.

The best was my step dad telling me " why do you keep trying to make beer just buy a case of Bud and call it a day " Meanwhile there's two carboys bubbling away !

This reminded me of something.

The day of my grandpa's funeral I brought a six pack of craft beer to their house afterwards. My dad isn't into craft beer and asked why I brought it, grandpa still has some bud light in the fridge. I told him I wanted to enjoy a good beer.

He then said "If it was good enough for your grandpa than its good enough for me."

I will drink BMC very rarely and dont think verh highlg of it...but, him saying that reminded me that macro brews do have their rightful place. I ended up cracking open a bud light that night.

Talking beer with a new co worker who used to work in beer distribution. It seemed like he had tried a lot of brews, so at one point I asked him what he thought of Belgians.
"Oh, dude. LOVE Belgians."
"Yeah? Nice! Any in particular?"
"Love my Stella, that's top shelf."
".... Ah. Yup."

I know they're Belgian, but not in the way I meant... and I can't stand Stella. Beer snob'd? I'm trying not to be that guy, he's a friendly dude, but I'm just not sure how to explain what I really meant without coming off as holier than thou.

Talking beer with a new co worker who used to work in beer distribution. It seemed like he had tried a lot of brews, so at one point I asked him what he thought of Belgians.
".... Ah. Yup."

I know they're Belgian, but not in the way I meant... and I can't stand Stella. Beer snob'd? I'm trying not to be that guy, he's a friendly dude, but I'm just not sure how to explain what I really meant without coming off as holier than thou.

That can be one of the difficult parts of being a beer nerd. You want to share your passion with those around you, but not end up sounding condescending.

".... Ah. Yup."

Just need to probe what Belgian brands they have heard of and hopefully tried.

Finally got one, guys. In class guy A and B are talking
A: what did you have at the bar last night?
B: hefeweizen
A: what the hell is that?
B: wheat beer
A:eek:oohhhh you like that dark stuff huh?
B: yeah. Guiness, stouts, draughts (not pronounced like draft)
Guy C chimes in: hey Budweiser made a wheat beer!

It was so hard to just sit and be quiet

Finally got one, guys. In class guy A and B are talking
A: what did you have at the bar last night?
B: hefeweizen
A: what the hell is that?
B: wheat beer
A:eek:oohhhh you like that dark stuff huh?
B: yeah. Guiness, stouts, draughts (not pronounced draft)
Guy C chimes in: hey Budweiser made a wheat beer!

It was so hard to just sit and be quiet

How do I know if they're good? Are you a retard,or what? If I don't gag-n-puke,& it tastes good & gives me a very plesant buzz...guess what?...IT'S GOOD!!:cross:

That can be one of the difficult parts of being a beer nerd. You want to share your passion with those around you, but not end up sounding condescending.
psssshh! I'm all like, "You drink s#!tty beer, b!*^h weasel!" then I punch them in the kidney and tell them I'm their beer master.:rockin:

How do I know if they're good? Are you a retard,or what? If I don't gag-n-puke,& it tastes good & gives me a very plesant buzz...guess what?...IT'S GOOD!!:cross:

Haha. That's what I said in a nutshell. Unless you brew it, you'll never know. It'll be that much better knowing I put the time and sweat into it.

Not even, if its drinkable and gets me hammered im ok with it. Ive had beers ive been unhappy with, other people love, its all personal taste. Ill drink a miller lite or budweiser if its the only beer available, but i prefer a highly hopped ipa anyday, over ut.

Customer: I'll take a Coors Light
Waitress: I'm sorry. We don't have Coors Light
Customer: What do you have that's like Coors Light?
Waitress: I have Mirror Pond...
Customer: What's that like?
Waitress: It's kinda like Coors Light
Customer: I'll try that.

The customer was ME years ago and that was my first time having a real beer. I'm glad she thought Mirror Pond was like Coors Light.

Not even, if its drinkable and gets me hammered im ok with it. Ive had beers ive been unhappy with, other people love, its all personal taste. Ill drink a miller lite or budweiser if its the only beer available, but i prefer a highly hopped ipa anyday, over ut.

I was commenting on what I'll always imagine the man wanted to say to his grandpa's comment. I'm not above BMC's when I'm low on cash & homebrew isn't ready yet. Interestingly enough,having brewed 2 PM IPA's in one week,The first one is just past initial fermentation while the 2nd is just getting going after being brewed yesterday. It cost me over $72 for these 2/5G batches of IPA's. Both my own recipes too. I like my IPA's more than BMC's myself.

Those of us who geek out on beer often ask questions of others about their beer preferences in hopes of finding kindred spirits. Even when the first responses make it clear their experience is limited, I think we continue the conversation in hopes the second response will be better than the first.

"So what beers to you like?"
"Anything that's not dark."
"So what does dark taste like?"
"....."

".... Ah. Yup."

So what you really meant was abbey or Trappist style ales?

Skeptidelphian said:
I think a lot of people think light means not dark instead of low calorie.

You know Iv never considered that before but it makes a lot of since

I remember beer coming in "regular", "light" and "dark". I picked up a sixer of Michelob Dark once before I'd had real beer because I thought I felt adventurous. It tasted like soy sauce.

Light can be the opposite of dark or heavy. Guinness is a light beer. So is a Tripel. BMC is both light and light. It's equivocation at its finest!

LOL! Hey - let's leave Grammy out of this. That was between her, me, the pastor, that guy from the gas company, and, umm...Ya know, there were a lot of guys there...

Cheers! ;)

I remember beer coming in "regular", "light" and "dark". I picked up a sixer of Michelob Dark once before I'd had real beer because I thought I felt adventurous. It tasted like soy sauce.

So I'm sitting in a bar 6 months back and two girls next too me are drinking beer (kind of odd where i come from actually). Anyway, One says "That was pretty good, Let me try stella and..... blue moon". I'm thinking wow! Girl ordering two beers at once?? I watch, the bartender fills the glass half full, and moves on to the next tap and finishes it!!!! Wait, What the hell just happened???

Is this a new trend? Can you really mix two completely different beers together and achieve perfection? Bud light and sierra nevada pale ale? Would it work?!?!

I haven't been to a bar since..

Devilsnight said:
So I'm sitting in a bar 6 months back and two girls next too me are drinking beer (kind of odd where i come from actually). Anyway, One says "That was pretty good, Let me try stella and..... blue moon". I'm thinking wow! Girl ordering two beers at once?? I watch, the bartender fills the glass half full, and moves on to the next tap and finishes it!!!! Wait, What the hell just happened??? Is this a new trend? Can you really mix two completely different beers together and achieve perfection? Bud light and sierra nevada pale ale? Would it work?!?! I haven't been to a bar since..

I hope it's not a new trend. I have a buddy that does a Black and Tan with Guinness and cider. He swears by them, so my wife ordered one a few weeks ago when we we're all out together. One sip and I wanted to throw up. A waste of good beer AND good cider. I guess it's an acquired taste that I hope not to acquire.

But the fused neck lookin bottles were cool. I'm still using those. I also buy beers just for the cool bottles as well.:rockin:

Back