Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a brewpub close to where I live. it used to have really good beer but has gone downhill lately, they are just more interested in making money than having good food or beer anymore but that is a whole story in itself. Anyways I try to stop by there every once in a while if I am in town. My wife and I sat down to have dinner and the waitress comes over and gives us a beer menu then tells of the couple of special brews that aren't on the menu. One was called black horse pale ale. I asked what it was and she tried to explain it as a light beer that is really dark with a lot of hops in it. I asked her if it was a black IPA ,she said yeah thats it. The next table she went to she described it as a black IPA. I understand not every waiter/waitress knows beer but if you work in a brewpub you should at least have some knowledge of whats on tap.

I was at a Beirstube resturant,which had a decent selection of beer.Some local tap beer also as well as decent commercial craft. Overhearing some milfs,talk about ipa's. Saying, " Im going to go home and drink some ipa's".Just like they are a big trend or a new thing.I just shuddard at the fashion statement. but whatever I like ipa's fashionable or not. I actually enjoyed a phemnominal locally brewed stout brewed with coffee. I swear the aroma was better than any fresh roasted coffee I ever smelled brewed and was a good stout maybe greatest fresh coffee stout ever(think fresh dankish coffee/espresso resin aroma) it may be the coffee aroma- ipa of a stout. It literally smelled like fresh roasted coffee in my pint glass. Maybe I should have blurted with exubaration how I wanted to go home and drink the **** out of good coffee stouts? All night long til the breaka breaka dawn?

I was at a Beirstube resturant,which had a decent selection of beer.Some local tap beer also as well as decent commercial craft. Overhearing some milfs,talk about ipa's. Saying, " Im going to go home and drink some ipa's".Just like they are a big trend or a new thing.I just shuddard at the fashion statement. but whatever I like ipa's fashionable or not. I actually enjoyed a phemnominal locally brewed stout brewed with coffee. I swear the aroma was better than any fresh roasted coffee I ever smelled brewed and was a good stout maybe greatest fresh coffee stout ever(think fresh dankish coffee/espresso resin aroma) it may be the coffee aroma- ipa of a stout. It literally smelled like fresh roasted coffee in my pint glass. Maybe I should have blurted with exubaration how I wanted to go home and drink the **** out of good coffee stouts? All night long til the breaka breaka dawn?

Great River Redband? YUM also love 483 pale ale

Great River Redband? YUM also love 483 pale ale

No, it was actually Bent River Uncommon stout, I must have got it super fresh or something but it was incredible. I do like great river beers Hoppopotumus was pretty nice as well. But their pumpkin sucked on tap last year.I doubt they can one if they do shure hope it wasnt like last years.

Just last weekened I offered my sister a wheat homebrew, she turned it down as she doesn't like 'dark beers'. Apparently anything not miller light is a dark beer.

I got her to taste it, she made a awful face and said it was too herby. She ment hop flavor (it was a gumballhead clone that is spot on with gumballhead).

I made a Belgian White a while ago and gave some away. My friend asks what it is and says how much she loves Blue moon. I pour her a glass and she goes "God! That's awful cloudy"...... -_- ugh

Another funny thing. My first year in college I would buy a 30 of keystone every weekend. The next year I "bought the good stuff".......budlight. The year after that I upgraded to Becks and Blue Moon. Sometimes I look back and I'm disappointed in myself.

My mother-in-law, who drinks Coors Light on special occasions and Keystone Light normally, complained that I don't drink American beers (because I drink craft beers). I tried explaining that her beers are the foreign beers...

My dad was surprised I drank so many different beers and said that my "beer expert" aunt, who is considered an expert in the family because she drinks Milwaukee's Best (or whatever is on sale) on hot days, told him that all beers taste the same.

My dad was surprised I drank so many different beers and said that my "beer expert" aunt, who is considered an expert in the family because she drinks Milwaukee's Best (or whatever is on sale) on hot days, told him that all beers taste the same.

Someone told me the other day that they encourage people to not drink beer and to diversify their palate by drinking other things like wine and liquor...

So I was at my local woodmans several weeks back, this guy fishing out 50 cent heini's from the clearance cart. A lady ask him what this brand of beer (forgot but it was a IPA) was. "whats a IPA?" the guy awnsers her and says oh thats a brewery that makes bitter beer. I said what it was aloud to them but they did't hear me. I lowered my head and when't on beer shopping.

jonmohno said:
No, it was actually Bent River Uncommon stout, I must have got it super fresh or something but it was incredible. I do like great river beers Hoppopotumus was pretty nice as well. But their pumpkin sucked on tap last year.I doubt they can one if they do shure hope it wasnt like last years.

Yeah, Uncommon is better. Just had the jingle java, and I couldn't get over the flavored coffee. I was wondering if you were from the QC.

Oh my.... homebrewed beer?

I don't know...

Is it safe?

I know you don't know me, but I'm kinda a germiphobe...

Will it make me sick? Oh.. I've never done this before, are you sure it's ok?

I swear this was a true conversation back in May.

Little did this lady know how much attention is paid to sanitation when making beer. BTW, she didn't get sick and she actually kinda liked my homebrew :)

I recently asked the barely legal waitress at a local watering hole what wheat beers they had on tap. She said she didn't really know but would ask the bartender. She returned about 5 minutes later with the reply that "all beers are wheat beers because that's the main ingredient".

I don't get the hatred for Shocktop and Blue Moon. I'm quite fond of both of them, despite knowing that they're owned by the big international conglomerates so often called "BMC"...
It doesn't change the fact that they are easy drinking beers with some actual flavor- the fact that they're offered in so many bars and restaurants now does amazing things for "real" craft beer.

If you don't care for them, that's your opinion and prerogative, but that doesn't make them foul just because you say so, no matter how loudly or often.
Hell, I drank Blue Moon for a while as I was dipping my toes into craft beer, and it's what gave me the confidence to try imported belgians and other superficially similar beers like hefe's- cloudy beer is almost scary when all you've been exposed to is fizzy yellow water.

I'm by no means an expert, but I know a lot more now because I was introduced to the rest of the beer world.

I would NOT drink any beer I put my toes in. Just saying...

bell0347 said:
I recently asked the barely legal waitress at a local watering hole what wheat beers they had on tap. She said she didn't really know but would ask the bartender. She returned about 5 minutes later with the reply that "all beers are wheat beers because that's the main ingredient".

I would have walked out.

I've seen a few comments on Youtube videos that have made me lol.

"Wheat doesn't go in beer. Beer is yeast and hops."

And my favorite: "Guinness isn't a beer, it's a draught."

On a tour at Sam Adams the tour guide was explaining crystal malts. He said the difference between them is how long they're roasted. Crystal 40 is roasted for 40 minutes, crystal 10 is roasted for 10 minutes, crystal 80 is roasted for 80 minutes...

He also said they're different from 'regular' malts due to temperature. No mention of water or anything.

/facepalm

Fortunately, I'm sure nobody in the tour group remembered that but me.

Oh my.... homebrewed beer?

I don't know...

Is it safe?

I know you don't know me, but I'm kinda a germiphobe...

Will it make me sick? Oh.. I've never done this before, are you sure it's ok?

I swear this was a true conversation back in May.

Little did this lady know how much attention is paid to sanitation when making beer. BTW, she didn't get sick and she actually kinda liked my homebrew :)

Ugh. I've had this exact conversation with my sister-in-law and probably a half dozen other people. Is it safe? Am I going to get bochelism or E-coli?

In a Usa today crossword puzzle the clue was "An alternative to beer" answer Ales??

I would assume they used the word "alternative" to mean synonym. And saying "an" instead of "the" left the door open for other alternatives unilsted (such as lager, etc.).

HawksBrewer said:
I would assume they used the word "alternative" to mean synonym. And saying "an" instead of "the" left the door open for other alternatives unilsted (such as lager, etc.).

Answer was indead Ales. And yea I mean I dont see how ale is a alternative to beer but I guess its all in the wording.

Its an alternative to saying beer. Instead if calling whats in your glass a beer you can call it an ale.

Well, I just thought of this and I'll share for the laughs.

Many years and beers ago, I Could have been overheard saying: "it's called a tripel because it's fermented 3 times, a dubbel is fermented twice"

This may have already been posted, but...

I like Guinness. It's a decent irish stout that is widely available, and without it, nitro beers would probably be a lot harder to find. But it is fairly popular among the "lesser-refined" beer crowd. Lot's of folks who basically just drink the cheap American rice lagers also like Guinness. But the mystique surrounding it for them is kind of funny. I've heard many people talking about how !@#$ed up they've gotten on Guinness because it is so strong. But as us refined, completely non-snobby beer connoisseurs know, it is equal in strength to a Coors Light. Always fun to bring up this little fact when someone is talking about the strength of Guinness.

I have a friend who endless says "my beer is so hoppy"!! Your beer has an infection becasue you don't clean anything you brew with.. All the stuff including the carboys are crusty from the last brew 6months ago. He has served beer to others that he knew had an infection.

I have a friend who endless says "my beer is so hoppy"!! Your beer has an infection becasue you don't clean anything you brew with.. All the stuff including the carboys are crusty from the last brew 6months ago. He has served beer to others that he knew had an infection.

Let him know that he is the "prostitute with AIDS" of the homebrew world.

It's so nasty, his tubing is brown to black with stuff growing inside. His battle cry is "anything that can grow in beer can't hurt you" He has been brewing for more than 40years and can only use "kits"; then he talks down to me like "I was brewing before you were born"... I am finished judging old family friends and venting on the the net.

It's so nasty, his tubing is brown to black with stuff growing inside. His battle cry is "anything that can grow in beer can't hurt you" He has been brewing for more than 40years and can only use "kits"; then he talks down to me like "I was brewing before you were born"... I am finished judging old family friends and venting on the the net.

Well, he has a point.

Maybe he likes the wild fermented stuff.

OK I have 2
This one happened a while back but sticks with me. My wife and I were out to dinner and stopped at a place called "steak and ales" I asked the server what ales she had on tap and she said both bud and bud light--- not even a bottle of anything except BMC!
The next one was just last week. My neighbor came over to tell me about another homebrewer he knows and how this friend and I should meet because we both like "yales". Sam means well and enjoys any homebrew I give him just made me laugh a little then say, you mean ales then have him go right "yales".

Back