Funny Recommendation from Welding Supply Shop

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypanties

Reaction score
So I go into a local welding supply shop to get my 5lb co2 cylinder filled today, and I think the owner is giving me some bad advise. He said next time I come in he'll hook me up with some beer gas and tells me that nitro is the way to go. He said it will make my beer taste much better.

Then he proceeds to tell me how he went to some bar the other day and got a 9% beer and had to put ice in it to water it down because he said it was too heavy. He suggested that nitro would fix this.

Finally I told him my method of carbing my kegs was to set it at 12 psi for a week or two and he said I'm probably over pressuring it. He said set it to 2-3 psi and gradually move it up each day until I get to 7psi. I think maybe this would work for "real" kegs (i.e. BMC), which come pre-carbed from the brewery, but I am trying to carbonate flat homebrew. He continued to tell me I'm wrong and that I need to do it his way.

Think I might need to go to another shop next time?

What Bobby said. Who's the brewer? Him or you?

Anyone telling you he had to put ice in a beer is probably not going to give you reliable brewing/kegging advice.

That said, just tell the dude you want C02, unless you're doing a stout or something similar, in which case beer gas is great...but I'd only using for serving, after force carbing with C02.

PS, and it generally requires a stout faucet because you serve beer gas at much HIGHER pressure then C02..which btw, he's wrong about the c02 pressure as well.

my welding supply shop told me that if I ever brew a "dark" beer like a stout, I will need beer gas, because CO2 can't push a thick beer through the faucet...

However, when I had to come back 3 times in 1 week because I couldn't find a nasty leak in my setup, he comped me 2 fills. All in all, an awesome shop and nice guy.

THIS is why i dont mind mentioning brewing practices to non brewers...

Anyone who puts ice in a beer to water it down and admits to it should not be ordering said beer.

Dont listen to that clown....

Now that right there's funny. I wonder if he was messing with you or just plain stupid.

Yeah I knew as soon as he told me about putting ice in his beer that I had no reason to listen to him. The poor guy is really nice and just trying to be helpful but he has no idea how wrong he is. I tried to explain how kegging homebrew works to him but he didn't want to hear it.

my welding supply shop told me that if I ever brew a "dark" beer like a stout, I will need beer gas, because CO2 can't push a thick beer through the faucet...

However, when I had to come back 3 times in 1 week because I couldn't find a nasty leak in my setup, he comped me 2 fills. All in all, an awesome shop and nice guy.

Glad you mentioned this because he tried telling me the same thing about co2 not being good at pushing heavier beers.

Ironically I also had a leak issue (which I found out was my quick disconnect) so I think this is why the guy was trying to offer me so much advise. Although he did not listen when I explained that I found the source of the leak. He thought me leaving the beer on 12 psi for a few weeks caused me to use it all up, so I should switch to beer gas haha!

Glad you mentioned this because he tried telling me the same thing about co2 not being good at pushing heavier beers.

Ironically I also had a leak issue (which I found out was my quick disconnect) so I think this is why the guy was trying to offer me so much advise. Although he did not listen when I explained that I found the source of the leak. He thought me leaving the beer on 12 psi for a few weeks caused me to use it all up, so I should switch to beer gas haha!

Actually, his information my come from his watering hole "IF" they have a stout tap beer gas is the only way to push through the restrictor plate without have a whipped beer;) would be with beergas. I always bottle a couple of sixer's for the weld supply house I go to they hydo for free and my N2(15lb) and CO2(20lbs)tanks exchanged out the door is $32. :ban:

Actually, his information my come from his watering hole "IF" they have a stout tap beer gas is the only way to push through the restrictor plate without have a whipped beer;) would be with beergas. I always bottle a couple of sixer's for the weld supply house I go to they hydo for free and my N2(15lb) and CO2(20lbs)tanks exchanged out the door is $32. :ban:

Wow...free hydro...I wish someplace around here offered that.

airgas exchanged an out of date bottle for one of their in date bottles for free.

Just peel the sticker and viola new bottle. As an ex gas employee.... we really do not care if it is in-date or not, only that the valve looks intact and the handle turns, everything else we can pretty much fix.

Back