Funny racking story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

152Sumo

Reaction score
My last batch of beer (over 2 years ago :mad:), I had the beer fermenting with a blowoff tube into one of those huge, oversized beer mugs. In the mug, I had it almost half full of vodka (don't remember why I didn't use sanitizing solution). When I went to rack into bottling bucket, I hooked up the racking hose to the spigot and slowly opened it, paying close attention not to get any bubbles. I was concentrating so hard, I failed to notice that I forgot to crack the lid on the bucket. Suddenly, I heard a sound like someone sucking the last bit of coke out of their big gulp. I looked up to see that the blow off tube had sucked all of the vodka into the fermenting bucket, right into the beer! I guess it was better than dumping sanitizing solution in there. I ended up with supercharged beer! I don't remember noticing anything wrong with it after I opened the first bottle.

I figured I would share this because it was funny to me, plus I learned from it.

Some kind of pale ale, I think. Hard to remember. I remember it was drinkable, but not what I expected. I bought the ingredient kit (extract with steeping grains) from a homebrew shop in CA. They let me try a sample of the same beer that they were getting ready to bottle. It tasted like Sierra Nevada, so I wanted to give it a shot. My beer didn't taste like Sierra Nevada. ???? Whether the vodka is to blame, I don't know.

Back