Funny question: How much is in my keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Hello,

I know, I know this is a ridiculous question but I am sure that most of the ones that keg do ask this question - how much beer is in my keg.

You can try tap it to check the sound but is not accurate but you my try to blow steam to see the condensation but what if you don't have a "steam source".

Any other ideas are welcome! :eek:

Thanks!
:mug:

Good question. Hm. Weigh it empty and then weigh it full to figure out how much beer you have by weight? I'm sure that isn't the easiest solution, but it's the only one that I can think of right now. :)

One suggestion I have seen is to fill a cup with the marbles or coffee beans equal to the number of pints in the keg and remove one each pint you take.

In that case it's better to have a inline volume counter. Not sure if they make one.

Each pour is different but would be nice to be consistent :)

Good question. Hm. Weigh it empty and then weigh it full to figure out how much beer you have by weight? I'm sure that isn't the easiest solution, but it's the only one that I can think of right now. :)

This would be the most accurate answer, outside of some sort of highly-calibrated flow sensor as discussed by the posters above me...

I used to put mine on a bathroom scale. I knew how much it weighed empty and I could see from the weight about what was left. Worked pretty well. (I should point out that I placed the keg in my kegerator ON a bathroom scale and there it sits... I don't have to lift the keg to place the scale under it each time I want to see how much the keg weighs.)

Weight is a great solution. Weigh an empty keg for a baseline, then weigh the keg in question. Subtract the weight of the empty keg.

1 Kg ~= 1L
3.8L ~= 1 Gallon

I use these:

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draf...hermometers/SmartStrip_beer_thermometer.shtml

I'm sure you can find them cheaper. This was just the fear site I found.

Get a paper towel or wash cloth and wet it with hot water. Then wipe down the strip until it turns white. The part that is still touching beer will turn red fairly quickly while the part with no beer will stay white.

That's the way to go, didn't know the make them.

The empty part of the tank would have a different temperature...

Weight method is fine but is no the best way since various beers have different densities.

True, but the difference would be relatively negligible for a 5 gallon corny. It may make a big enough difference with a standard keg though. I suppose...

None of those options really work for me. Once I get the keg in the chest freezer I don't like to move it around a lot, especially not pulling it out and putting it on a scale. The kegs are packed too tight in the freezer to make use of the strip.

I just surrender to the mystery, although I usually do know when I'm down to the last few pints because they're so delicious.

Just invite me over. If you're concerned about any kegs, point them out; I'll drink what's left and report to you how many pints were left.

Here's how I do it:

uyEBjsR.jpg

(one of these days I'll do a writeup on my system...)

theQ said:
Hello,

You can try tap it to check the sound but is not accurate but you my try to blow steam to see the condensation but what if you don't have a "steam source".

Any other ideas are welcome! :eek:

Thanks!
:mug:

Do you have an iron? You could probably use that as a steam source

Back