Funny but annoying issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grim_Ale

Reaction score
Well I've come to Terms that my leaky airlock isn't bad enough to ruin my beer. .

However , my friends came over to brew their beers today. Both went great , both their batches matched the goal for OG BUT.....

When emptying the carboy full of star san and getting rid of some of the excess bubbles we tried putting the bungs into the carboys that were also soaking in star san.

Put the bung in and it pops out. Push it in further and it flies out again. It's so slippery it won't stay. So more duct tape.

Later on, next batch finished and..... Same issue. I was laughing but honestly, how the heck are these bungs suppose to stay in place when they have star san and so does the carboy?

MoreBeer said a no. 7 stopper fits their 6.5 gal carboys and they do but not when wet.

So for next time what do I do ? Can't find a big enough food grade hose to just go straight in the carboy anywhere. I know I need a 1 in ID and 1 1/2 OD but can't find them anywhere around here . I heard they need to be food grade.

Sorry for all the questions just don't want to repeat these mistakes.

I had the same problem, so I bought one of these, works great.

carboy-cap-3-5-and-6-gallon-carboys_1.jpg

That's the one I have on mine that's leaking from a very vigorous fermentation that I pointed out in another thread.

CO2 is blowing out from underneath so I duct taped it and it is still leaking a very small amount of blow off trub.

Lose lose for me it seems lol

You can dry it with a paper towel just before inserting it, or just tape it down with electrical tape (which is what I do). It's a small issue that seems trivial, but could spell disaster.

You can dry it with a paper towel just before inserting it, or just tape it down with electrical tape (which is what I do). It's a small issue that seems trivial, but could spell disaster.
I second drying it with a paper towel.... and don't forget to dry the neck of the bottle, too.

I had the same problem, so I bought one of these, works great.

I got tired of playing the slippery bung game (that's what she said!) so I switched to the carboy capos too...sometimes they leak but the only problem that creates is disappointment that I can't watch the airlock or blowoff tube bubble away. I figure that's a small price to pay for not having a bung plug squirt out the hole every two seconds...aaaaand GO!

There must be something about the taper of a carboy bung that is of a certain size. I buy the universal size at the local homebrew supply. Had a problem with one that was about 10 years old. Years of sanitizing made it lose its flexibility and it would pop once in a while.

It now fits around the wire handle of the carboy brush to protect the mouth of the carboy from being scratched.

I had this problem for a while and used tape at first. But if I press it down and hold it for a second, then slowly let it come up while I reduce the pressure, it will find that sweet spot where it sticks and stays in place. I don't think drying it off first is really going to contaminate your beer either, but I've gotten pretty good at sticking it in there all wet and slimy.

I personally just take a paper towel and dry the carboy & bung.
Once dry they stick.

Back