Funky cinnamon cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheyneco

Reaction score
SG 1.060, currently in primary since 12/17. Clearing nicely but the test i pulled today for gravity was super funky tasting. Currently at 1.006.

1 gal applejuice, 4oz honey, 1 tsp of cinnamon extract and enough cane sugar to get SG to 1.060.

Thought after reading SG that I'd rack and bottle and have a nice fairly dry cider but it was barely drinkable. Will age cure this or is it a lost cause? I added AJ and another tsp of cinnamon to my glass and it was OK, definitely not what I'd consider good by any means though.

When you say "Funky" do you mean it tasted musty, rotten vegetables, beef and cheese, moldy bread, feet...etc etc

Is the aroma off as well? Was there any indication of a mold or white lacing in the fermentation vessel prior to bottling? What are your sanitation methods?

We may not be able to help unless we can get a better understanding of what you are tasting and smelling.

Whenever I add spices to my cider, I am always sure to coarse filter it back out at the end. Also any cider add ingredients too, seems to becomes a cider that needs long-term aging.

I made a vanilla cider once and it was terrible and I literally tossed all of my bottles out except for two-6 packs. When I was selling my house (about a year later) I came across it and just drank one, it was one of the better ciders I've made after aging.

I've stopped using cinnamon in my primaries because of that. I have had horrible luck with it. Usually I have to wait months before the stench settles with the lees. And then it's terrible to finish a bottle should you accidentally sip yeast. I have been making my own cinnamon extract instead. Though I find it hard to get the results I want doing it that way.

Thanks. I back sweetened with Apple juice at a ratio of 1 part AJ to 2 parts cider.

It will make it quite a bit weaker but hopefully drinkable. I'm also going to carb a few days then age for a couple of months.

Going forward I think I will save my cider flavoring for just before bottling until I get more experienced.

Can I ask, Why 4oz honey then cane sugar?

Also what was the OG (before honey/sugar added).

It might just need some time to sit, depending on how much sugar was added, imo.

I believe OG before honey and sugar was around 1.05. I added honey and sugar because I did sugar on my first cider batch and wanted to try honey also. I don't really know what I'm doing so I was just experimenting. I'm going to drink 1 carbed this weekend and let the rest sit a month or more and try them at different times.

Is there a chance you could get your cinnamon flavor by using cinnamon flavored candy (atomic fire balls, hot tamales, etc) ?

I've seen recipes for mead made with atomic fireballs - I have no personal experience with them but it sounds like they work.

I just had an amazing cinnamon cider today from J. Trees in MI, got me thinking about making some of my own.

i made some cider with cinnamon, was undrinkable at first, too a long long time to age into something decent, smelt almost rubbery/spicy at first and got better.

I won't make it again tho.....

Fyi..three cinnamon sticks for one gallon of cider wee bit to much.. wonder how I came up to that conclusion? ? My first epic fail brew..lmao!

Back