Fundamental question regarding yeast temp range

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I have always been a "safe" brewer, setting my ferm chamber temp controller to the middle of the published range. Does that tem range represent:

1. The temp where the yeast reproduces and converts sugar to alcohol most efficiently?

2. The temp that produces the best taste?

3. The temp that the yeast produces the least amount of undesirable off flavors?

4. Something else?

Specifically, I pitched WLP300 to 10 gallons of wort this morning. I am looking to push the yeast to produce esters toward the banana side of the flavor range. The published range is 68-72. I set the temp controller to 72. Is it recommended, to achieve my desired result to set the controller higher? If so, how much?

If my desire were to push the yeast towards the clove side of the scale, how far below 68 could I push the yeast?

Sometimes slightly underpitching, starting lowish, then taking it up to 74F or so for a day can bring out more banana, but I also taste a lot of bubblegum when that happens. Fortunately the gum fades before the banana for me. Upping your water to grist ratio can produce more banana as well, everything else equal. I have no idea where clove starts and ends.

I've heard clove is bigger at lower temps. I love this yeast and I normally ferment at 68. It produces a good mix of banana and clove with the balance towards banana.

Back