Fuller's London Porter bottle cap size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myerstyson

Reaction score
So, I love Fuller's London Porter almost as much as I love my own London Porter. I bought and saved enough bottles of Fuller's to bottle my London Porter in them.

Trouble came as we were bottling (my son helps me with the capping). The caps seem to take some time to cinch on. Did they completely seal the beer?

Well, 4 weeks later I learned the truth when I was able to pull a bottle cap off the top of the bottle with my hand. The beer was barely carbonated and tasted off. Not skunky or anything, but off.

I've searched over and over but cannot get an answer to this one question: What is the size of the bottle cap of the Fuller's bottle? Are there UK-sized bottle caps? I don't want to throw the bottles out, even though I have to throw the beer out. :(

This may not be a huge help but I use ex-Fullers London Pride bottles - the tall ones with "sharp" shoulders. They seal fine with a bench capper but not so well with a wing capper. Which did you use?

Incidentally these don't open properly with my push-down bottle opener either unlike all my other bottles. I don't know if it's the shape of the neck or size that the cap is finally pressed to. I lever em instead.

I use a wing capper. I bought a bench capper but I can't figure it out (it might be broken).

So you're using standard US size bottle caps on those London Pride bottles?

Yep standard size. Nightmare with wing capper. It's all about the bench capper (or new bottles!)

Yep standard size. Nightmare with wing capper. It's all about the bench capper (or new bottles!)

Yep, sure enough @DrFuggles, I drained one of my bad Porters and pulled the bench capper out. (I watched Youtube on how to use the damn thing.) When I capped the empty bottle with the bench capper, it sealed the bottle completely, no chance for pulling the cap off with my hands.

So I'll do a London Porter again soon so I can use the bottles. Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back