Full Hard Lemonade recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just had an idea about this and wanted to get some feedback from everyone. I just made this and plan to keg in 2 to 3 weeks.
Could I keg without the potassium sorbate wait for several days for natural carbonation to occur then pasteurize in the keg? My kegs have the PRV's so there should be no danger of building too much pressure and I have an 18 gallon kettle to heat it up in. I would probably be able to submerge 2/3's of the keg.
I would then be able to serve at 7PSI.
Thoughts?

Just had an idea about this and wanted to get some feedback from everyone. I just made this and plan to keg in 2 to 3 weeks.
Could I keg without the potassium sorbate wait for several days for natural carbonation to occur then pasteurize in the keg? My kegs have the PRV's so there should be no danger of building too much pressure and I have an 18 gallon kettle to heat it up in. I would probably be able to submerge 2/3's of the keg.
I would then be able to serve at 7PSI.
Thoughts?

That sounds like the unneccessarily difficult way to do this.

Just add the sorbate, sweeten as desired, keg, carb, and serve.

I am definitely going to give this a whirl! This will likely be my next brew in fact. I'm probably going to half it, and then maybe back sweeten with a little less than the 8c of sugar!

For bottling, to clarify, if I want it to carb, I just leave out the potassium sorbate and then pasteurize once it's reached proper carbonation?

That sounds like the unneccessarily difficult way to do this.

Just add the sorbate, sweeten as desired, keg, carb, and serve.

Yeah, I get that but saw where someone thought they had an off flavor due to the sorbate. Now I see that he used too much LME.

I am definitely going to give this a whirl! This will likely be my next brew in fact. I'm probably going to half it, and then maybe back sweeten with a little less than the 8c of sugar!

For bottling, to clarify, if I want it to carb, I just leave out the potassium sorbate and then pasteurize once it's reached proper carbonation?

That is correct :mug:

Yeah, I get that but saw where someone thought they had an off flavor due to the sorbate. Now I see that he used too much LME.

You didn't see my response then :) I corrected to the fact I only used half a lb of lme. If you go read the cider forum they talk about off flavors from sorbate a few times. Seems with the dissipation if you even get the flavor to begin with you just condition it a week and ita gone

You didn't see my response then :) I corrected to the fact I only used half a lb of lme. If you go read the cider forum they talk about off flavors from sorbate a few times. Seems with the dissipation if you even get the flavor to begin with you just condition it a week and ita gone

So the sorbate has possibly created an off-flavor, but a week of conditioning has taken care of it? Cool. I was concerned because I really want my SWMBO to enjoy this one. She likes my beer but she's really excited about this.

So the sorbate has possibly created an off-flavor, but a week of conditioning has taken care of it? Cool. I was concerned because I really want my SWMBO to enjoy this one. She likes my beer but she's really excited about this.

My wife doesn't like beer too much, except for my 10% high grav honey malt beer. This is my attempt at brewing something she will drink.

I added the sorbate and 1 lb of sugar at bottling, its still carbonating 4 days later and its drying out the lemonade as well as making me worry about bottle bombs.

I think next time I would add the sorbate to boiled water a day prior. I may have to throw this batch in the fridge tonight if its still carbonating to try to stall it.

I added the sorbate and 1 lb of sugar at bottling, its still carbonating 4 days later and its drying out the lemonade as well as making me worry about bottle bombs.

I may have missed something, but adding sorbate and sugar at the same time would be counterintuitive. The sorbate would shut down the yeast. The sugar is food the yeast would eat. You need to give the sorbate a few days to shut down the yeast then back sweeten. When I do cider, I cold crash it, add the sorbate after it's cold, let it sit another couple if days, then keg and back sweeten.

I may have missed something, but adding sorbate and sugar at the same time would be counterintuitive. The sorbate would shut down the yeast. The sugar is food the yeast would eat. You need to give the sorbate a few days to shut down the yeast then back sweeten. When I do cider, I cold crash it, add the sorbate after it's cold, let it sit another couple if days, then keg and back sweeten.

I've only ever added the potassium sorbate to the sugary back-sweetening mixture at teh end of fermentation, minutes before bottling. Never had a problem - you don't need to wait for it to kick in.

I've only ever added the potassium sorbate to the sugary back-sweetening mixture at teh end of fermentation, minutes before bottling. Never had a problem - you don't need to wait for it to kick in.

Well, Skitter, this guy seems to do what you said you did and it worked. I'll step back and let you guys problem solve. Good luck.

Its not counter-intuitive, I want it carbed. I do not want it overcarbed, that's the issue. Sorbate just keeps the yeast from replicating, it doesn't kill it. This is my first time making my lemonade so it will take some tweaking to get it done right. So far the bottle I tried today isn't any more carbed than yesterday, just dryer than I wanted. Ill have to add more sugar.

Well, Skitter, this guy seems to do what you said you did and it worked. I'll step back and let you guys problem solve. Good luck.

Its sweet, its carbed, just need to figure out the sulfur flavor, but I may have found it. Didnt oxygenate, didn't add nutrient, may just be Lavlin overstressed. Ill change that on my next batch

Did a three gallon batch of this yesterday. I swapped two cans of concentrate one for orange juice and the other fruit punch and plan on switching another to fruit punch for the back sweetening. Also did a mini mash of 2 row to replace the extract. I would also like this carbed and don't really want to place an order for potassium so May do the pasteurization method stated above.
Also added some baking soda to adjust the ph and 2 packs of us 05. It bubbling like mad right now. Hope to have it done for Memorial Day, but it's cutting it a little close but here's hoping.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Did a three gallon batch of this yesterday. I swapped two cans of concentrate one for orange juice and the other fruit punch and plan on switching another to fruit punch for the back sweetening. Also did a mini mash of 2 row to replace the extract. I would also like this carbed and don't really want to place an order for potassium so May do the pasteurization method stated above.
Also added some baking soda to adjust the ph and 2 packs of us 05. It bubbling like mad right now. Hope to have it done for Memorial Day, but it's cutting it a little close but here's hoping.

I'm curios to know how this turns out. Please keep us informed!!

Its not counter-intuitive, I want it carbed. I do not want it overcarbed, that's the issue. Sorbate just keeps the yeast from replicating, it doesn't kill it. This is my first time making my lemonade so it will take some tweaking to get it done right. So far the bottle I tried today isn't any more carbed than yesterday, just dryer than I wanted. Ill have to add more sugar.

In a previous post I outlined my quest to carbonate this. I bottled some up and filled two PET bottles so I could squeeze 'em to check carb level. After about 4 days I decided the level was sufficient so I tried to pasteurize in the dishwasher, but it didn't work as the yeast became active again.

Eventually I just put all the non-sorbated bottles in the fridge to stop further fermentation. I acutally STILL have a few of these that I pull out for people on special occasions. The carb level is still perfect, and now it's crystal-clear and super delicious.

If you have a dedicated fridge you can put all of these in, you can simply not add the sorbate, add an additional cup of sugar to your back-sweetening mixture, let it carb, and then chill and keep chilled. It's been a year now and no explosions so far!

I made my first batch of hard lemonade for the summer. OG 1.100 FG 1.016. I wanted to stop it at 1.030 but life got in the way. Presently It is cold crashing. It is not too tart but not as sweet as in previous batches due to the FG. I use #1.7 -2 of DME in my receipe to prevent having to back sweeten.
My thoughts is to add a few cans of lemonade concentrate to the keg in order to back sweeten. Others use sugar, lactose...etc.

Sorry if this has been asked before but do you think this could be made gluten free by eliminating the dme? Or would it taste way off?

Even with my perceived off flavor the lemonade went over like a hit at the company party, they drank all my beer, and all my lemonade, and nobody is asking for more beer, all "when you bringing more lemonade?"

Sorry if this has been asked before but do you think this could be made gluten free by eliminating the dme? Or would it taste way off?

I've made variations of this recipe using only juice and sugar with no DME. They have been just as good. It will work just fine!

I've made variations of this recipe using only juice and sugar with no DME. They have been just as good. It will work just fine!

Thanks for the reply, my wife is gluten free so I think she'll enjoy this.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Just to clarify, the variations I have done without DME were blueberry/pomegranate and apple/cherry. Both were very good. Based on this I'm confident it will work for lemonade, but I have not specifically done this with lemonade.

Another factor to consider is that I use Nottingham yeast instead of Lalvin.

I'll make a batch of lemonade without the DME this week and will report back when it's done...that's the only way to know for sure. I've been wanting to make another batch of this anyway :D

Just to clarify, the variations I have done without DME were blueberry/pomegranate and apple/cherry. Both were very good. Based on this I'm confident it will work for lemonade, but I have not specifically done this with lemonade.

Another factor to consider is that I use Nottingham yeast instead of Lalvin.

I'll make a batch of lemonade without the DME this week and will report back when it's done...that's the only way to know for sure. I've been wanting to make another batch of this anyway :D

That sounds good, with Nottingham the final gravity must be higher. Do you find that you need to sweeten it when it's fermented out? Would you mind telling me your malt free recipe?
Thanks

That sounds good, with Nottingham the final gravity must be higher. Do you find that you need to sweeten it when it's fermented out? Would you mind telling me your malt free recipe?
Thanks

The final gravity still gets pretty low with Nottingham. I just looked over my brew log and all my variations of this recipe finish in the area of .995 That's a little above what Lalvin estimates, but not much.

I definitely back sweeten with Nottingham--it still needs it.

My recipe is really simple and I'm happy to share it. It came about from browsing the frozen juice section thinking "I wonder if I could ferment that?". I opted for blueberry / pomegranate juice and apple / cherry juice. Here's my one gallon recipe (simply the original recipe, minus DME, with extra sugar and juice concentrate).

2 cans of frozen concentrate
1/2 lb of sugar (I used 2 oz corn sugar and 6 oz table sugar--although I'm not sure why I did that)
1/2 package Nottingham

Bring 6 cups (see notes below) of water to a boil, stir in the sugar until it's dissolved, mix with the frozen concentrate, top off with water, make sure your juice mixture is at the right temperature and pitch the yeast. It's really simple.

I usually take really good notes, but on these experimental batches I missed a few things....One is that I don't know how much water I brought to a boil. I usually scale things exactly from recipes I've already done--assuming that's that's the case I would have boiled 5 1/2 - 6 cups of water. All this really affects is getting the juice mixture to the right temperature to pitch the yeast. There is a magical combination of boiling sugar water, frozen concentrate, and room temperature water that gets you to the proper pitching temperature--I just don't have that information...so you'll have to either warm or cool the mixture as needed to get it to pitching temperature. (For what it's worth, I re-hydrate Nottingham before I pitch it)

I waited 27 days before I bottled it and then back sweetened with:
1/2 can concentrate
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water

It tasted really good, but it actually tasted best when I sampled it 7 days in (and it was already at 7% ABV at this point). What I am going to try on my next batch is to start sampling it at 5 days into fermentation. I'll sample daily until it's to my taste liking and at an ABV i like. Then I'll just kill the yeast at this point. No back sweetening.

Well I've been drinking and typing for a while now, so I apologize if this is confusing. It makes sense to me right now, but I'll double check it tomorrow to make sure it actually makes sense :tank:

The gluten free test batch is in the fermenter. I'll report back in a few weeks and let you know how it turns out.

Sorry for my previous ramblings. Late nights affect my brain. Late nights and alcohol really affect my brain. :smack:

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have a couple of empty 1 gallon growlers that are itching to be filled. Do you add the sweetening sugar, bottle, wait for it to carb up, then kill the yeast by pasteurizing? Thanks again can't wait to try.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have a couple of empty 1 gallon growlers that are itching to be filled. Do you add the sweetening sugar, bottle, wait for it to carb up, then kill the yeast by pasteurizing? Thanks again can't wait to try.

That's exactly what I do. :ban:

I do all grain and haven't had time to brew for a few weeks, so I though I'd toss a batch of this in my conical. I just got all the ingredients.

I'll be using the ec-1118 and minute maid frozen juice. The store only had 9 lemonade, so I grabbed three raspberry lemonade. I think I'll ferment the straight lemon and back sweeten with the raspberry.

I almost got mango peach or pineapple for a second batch, but the price for the juice was too high. I might experiment with those if this turns out well.

Got my all grain batch carbed and chilled for the weekend tastes pretty good. Bottle conditioned for three days then ran through the dishwasher now in the fridge.

That's the one but I would not use the orange juice again it didn't seem to add anything but the fruit punch I will definitely use again

Anyone. I'm looking into doing this with Minuet Made Limeaid. I haven't read all 34 pages, but are the cans stated the large or small. I'm assuming larger 12 oz.

This stuff was a huge hit over the weekend with SWMBO's family. They cleared out the batch, while the case of BMC sat undisturbed. Was described as like mikes but f****ing better. Definitely doing this one again.

This stuff was a huge hit over the weekend with SWMBO's family. They cleared out the batch, while the case of BMC sat undisturbed. Was described as like mikes but f****ing better. Definitely doing this one again.

How many times did they ask "so when do you put the vodka in"

Not at all I referred to it as lemonade beer. Then had some questions about the process. I've talked to them about brewing before so they already had some back info, hell my brother in law gave me an antique carboy.

All I can say is WOW! This stuff is awesome and very dangerous. It needs a label to "Drink Slooooowly!":cross:

Back