full boils aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I aerate with one of these for 40 seconds.

The regulator and wand is $49 from William's Brewing and the tank is $8 at my local Lowe's Home Improvement. The tank is supposed to last for about 20 batches or so.

S78[1].jpg

yeah I am just looking for the cheap route. Oxygen may come in the future, but for know just wondering about the drill attachment

My most recent brew (888RIS) was the first for which I took aeration into account. Previously, I had been siphoning and letting the wort drop from the top of the carboy. This time, before I siphoned from the kettle into the carboy, I applied my own high-tech aeration system:

DSCN0589-a.jpg

It seemed to work pretty well, and I had airlock activity within 6 hours of pitching 3 pints of starter.

I pour it into the carboy put on the stopper with hand over it, and shake the carboy for abour five minutes. I usually sanitize the stopper quickly after that. So far, so good.

TL

mot said:
yeah I am just looking for the cheap route. Oxygen may come in the future, but for know just wondering about the drill attachment

Before I got the O2 thingy as a gift, I poured back and forth between two buckets 6 or 8 times, or swirled the carboy for about 15 minutes.

I have a mixing wand and it works excellent for aeration. On top of that, it makes a great tool for whirlpooling. Well worth the money.

mot said:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=7131

Anyone have these that you use with a drill, what kind of aeration do they give you after chilling your wort?
I am moving to full boils, have just been shaking and it has worked great so far just looking for a little better ease of use.

We have a mix-stir and it works great with our regular (6.5G) carboys.

We have several 5G carboys with various size necks, and the blades won't fit through any of them. Which is a shame since we primarily got it for making meads, ciders, and cysers in the smaller containers.

Back