Full Boil Evaporation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manka85

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the home brewing hobby and have just made an investment in equipment.

I would like to start out with full boil extract recipies, so I purchased a 10 gallon stainless brew kettle.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X1OLJW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Today I used my kettle to experiment with the evaporation rate to determine how much water to add initially when brewing. I came up with a 2.4 gallon boil off in an hour. Does this seem correct?

The burner was open 1/3 of the way. Everywhere I have looked says a 1.5 gallon boil off is normal, but I do realize that everyone's set up is different.

Could I be boiling it too aggressively? Or does it have to do with the shape of the kettle (short and wide)?

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
The shape of the kettle matters as does the boil. You only need it to continually roll. You do not need a tempest going on.

The lowest my burner will stay lit give me a fairly vigorous boil so my rate is 2 gallons per hour in my 10 gallon pot.

actually, you do in fact want a crazy boil at the beginning. helps break down proteins in the foam that develops, which is your "hot break" taking place- proteins being denatured. definitely dont want to leave that part out.

but once it breaks, then do as noted above and pull it back to a gentler rolling boil.

actually, you do in fact want a crazy boil at the beginning. helps break down proteins in the foam that develops, which is your "hot break" taking place- proteins being denatured. definitely dont want to leave that part out.

but once it breaks, then do as noted above and pull it back to a gentler rolling boil.

First time hearing this. Hot break may make for a clearer beer but I'm not sure it is needed.

Well, I'd say it's needed for a clearer beer. :mug:

Edit: just noticed this was for an extract recipe. Not as relevant.

Since you're doing extract brews, an extended boil is not absolutely necessary. If you find that your boil off rate is too high, adjust your hop amounts to reduce the total boil time.

But yeah, sounds like you might have it boiling too vigorously.

The wort is the same temperature regardless of boil velocity. Hot break happens either way. Old dogma.
I keep a low roll all the way through, no finings outside whirlfloc, cold crash and make clear beer. But, if it makes you happy... but your likely altering the color of your beer much more than the clarity.

Also, with extract, doesn't matter. Nor do you have to boil for 60+ with extract, unless hop schedule deems it necessary.
Wait until the last 10 minutes, kill the burner and mix in 70-80ish % of the extract at that time. Resume burner. No need to boil the extract the entire time. It's already been boiled.
Also, expect high FG with extract.
Welcome to the hobby.

Aha, forgot this is extract. Never made beer that way, but might not be as relevant. For all grain, you really do want a good hot break. In addition to clearer beer, it also helps with flavor stability, lessens chance of chill haze, and the foam itself will catch some of your hops and keep them out of the wort.

Most times a good boil will break within 5, maybe 10, minutes. At which point you can lower temp. It's a very easy step, takes almost no effort, so much so that its stupid not to do it.

Maybe not a big deal with extract, but don't know a single pro brewer who doesn't do it.

Your call.

Back