FTSS SS Brewtech or DIY?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

natural

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a 7gallon brewmaster edition conical and the FTSS chilling only is $165 cad. Is it worth it to buy this? Or should I just pick up a small fish tank pump and a temperature controller off amazon? I feel like I could probably get those two for around $70 and just pick up some hose at my local brewing store.

Hoping some people have experience and can recommend something.

My opinion is that if you're buying the FTSS system, the real value is in the coil that is custom fit to your vessel. The pump and the temperature controller are absolutely nothing special and I'd likely head down the exact same path you proposed. An inexpensive properly spec'd pump, some tubing (not even necessary for proper silicone in since it's not touching the beer), and a STC-1000. You'll probably want a project box for the STC, but otherwise- I see no advantages in paying double for the FTSS branded stuff since you're getting the coil in the BME Conical.

Speaking from a guy who has a diy-glycol chiller setup with the SSBrewing 7g setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back