Fruity Hop Bomb, hop schedule opinion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KVANTAN

Reaction score
My next batch is going to be a very powerful fruity hop bomb. Almost entirely late and post boil additions. Pilsner malt. Here is my hop list, I am seeking advice on which hops to whirlpool, dry hop, or add at flameout. I presume I will get enough IBUs out of the whirlpool or late additions. I dont have any software to calculate those ibus.

7 or 8 lbs Extra light and Pilsner DME
US-05

AzaccaÂ[emoji768] 1 oz.
Calypso 2 oz.
Cascade 1 oz.
New Zealand Nelson Sauvin 1 oz.
German Hull Melon 1 oz.
El Dorado 1 oz.
Galaxy 2 oz.
Mosaic 1 oz.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1446605087.690115.jpg

Wow, quite the collection of strains. I doubt I could come up with a rational schedule with all that going in one brew.
That's either going to be an explosion of characters or a muddled mess o' hops...

Cheers! (and good luck!)

I'm sort of with day_trippr on this one. I've only been brewing for a year, but I've found the KISS approach to hopping has given me my best results for hop bombs. I usually stick to two or three varieties, and that way you can taste the effect of all the different additions. My latest hop bomb is in its 10th day of fermenting, and it's just Centennial, Amarillo, and cascade - and that was a citrusy sunovagun when I check the hydrometer sample.

Again, I'm a relative newb, and I'm not saying that your approach won't work. I'm just worried that with all the different varieties, you're likely to strike upon a combination of flavours that might not work.

Ive got an article Im waiting to be approved on the concept of making IPAs that are similar to today's most popular non bitter hop bombs. Take a look if youre interested. This is the unedited version
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DHdW-a1DLgmWFfnlkHQ0esCF5e6Hkx0RyBHzsb9mCVU/edit

IMO, that many hop strains can get you a good hop character, but its going to be very muddled. You know how you mix all the paints together as a kid to make one super color and its just brown?

I routinely use that amount of hops and more for a hopstand/whirlpool alone and I can assure you it will not be bitter at all

This looks like the suicide version of a soda fountain drink. You know, when you mix everything together?

I am with m00ps here. I think you'll have some muddled flavors and almost doing a disservice to some of the hops. Perhaps look up each one, omit a couple and drill down your flavors.

Well you could always combine the whole lot together and just schedule your amounts. Like a big ole bowl of hop surprise. Not sure how it would turn out though, muddled probably

Stone puts 7+ different hops in their go to ipa. I think it adds a lot of depth and complexity. For those who say muddled you shouldn't speak unless you have done it.

Yeah, it's nine strains, and even though I actually like it for what it is, the hop character is in fact a muddle of citrusy/fruity notes.

I use seven of those strains myself and it's nearly impossible to pick most of them out...

Cheers!

I dropped the sauvin, galaxy and cascades out and bumped up the mellon, azacca, mosaic and el dorado, 10 oz total. Best beer i ever made. Strong mango nose and plenty of mosaic complexity but not overwhelming the rest of the tropical fruit flavors i was shooting for. Only used an ounce for bittering then layered everything else in as very late additions, flameout, wp, then dry hopped for 10 days. No grassiness. Perfect.

2 oz of huell mellon at 30 was the only bittering addition. No more mellon after that.

got'cha.

So, Huell Melon at 30, then the rest later.

I have to say that I'm intrigued. I brew a tropical II Ipa hop bomb myself using only a .5 oz columbus fwh and then 5 oz at 5, 5 oz whirlpool, and 5 oz dry hop.

Not as complex as yours; but I can feel what your doing.

got'cha.

So, Huell Melon at 30, then the rest later.

I have to say that I'm intrigued. I brew a tropical II Ipa hop bomb myself using only a .5 oz columbus fwh and then 5 oz at 5, 5 oz whirlpool, and 5 oz dry hop.

Not as complex as yours; but I can feel what your doing.

Here is the full schedule from my notes:

5 gallons
US-05

5# of Extra light DME
3# Pilsen DME
Blew off for 3 days.

30 min - 2 oz Huell Mellon 5.2%

5 min - 1 oz Mosaic 12.3%
1 oz Azacca 10.3%

0 min - 1 oz Azacca
1 oz Calypso 13.3%

WP - 1 oz Huell Mellon
1 oz El Dorado
Gave it a little stirring with my spoon only for about 15 mins.

DH After 10 days - 1 oz Calypso
1 oz Azacca
1 oz Mosaic x 10 days
Maybe got the DH in a little early as this one snow globed for about a week then took a long time to slow down and kept moving long after this addition.

I only used hops that my LHBS advised me to use just 1 oz per 5 gallons due to it being a fruit bomb. So I used 12 oz expecting to maybe ruin it.

The Azacca mango notes came through really well and that worked with both the hell mellon and mosaic perfectly. I aimed for hops with tropical floral smelling fruits like mango, mellon, dried fruit, pear and less citrusy acidic flavors like lemon, orange, or apple. But those may go just as well together too if you keep the types in that range.

There is so much flavor at work here that I think it doesn't matter what order you make the additions. I just wanted to keep the IBUs under control as my last attempt at something like this became too bitter with half the ounces.

I have no idea about the actual IBUs, I aimed for about 40.

I think Nelson Sauvin would have worked in there, but not too much. It's my favorite hop these days. I bought a pound of it because it is so nice in all of my IPAs. To each there own.

Back