Fruits and dark beers/Inquiring minds want to know

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Gamble

Reaction score
Going to be brewing another beer here soon. Its going to be a porter with fruit in it, most likely strawberries. I've been told that if I boil the strawberries that will set the pectin and make the beer cloudy but, as this is going to be a porter, and be dark to begin with, is that something I would really have to worried about? Was going to boil them to smash them down to extract the juice.
Thanks

No, the pectin will not affect your beer. Pectin haze is a visual thing, not a taste thing. If the pectin thing weirds you out, you could take the alternative route and smash and freeze the fruit. Freezing not only sanitizes the fruit but also helps with bursting the cells of the fruit to release more of the juices.

@Rob2010SS Freezing does not sanitize :(

With a dark beer haze doesn't matter since it's opaque anyway.
The idea is to buy already frozen ones that /should/ be safe from anything from the manufacturing process rather than fresh and freeze yourself.

The idea is to buy already frozen ones that /should/ be safe from anything from the manufacturing process rather than fresh and freeze yourself.
Unless they heat pasteurize it before freezing there are still wild yeast present.

Some people are fine with taking the risk, just a matter of preference.

Strawberry is notorious for being light in flavor. Porter may be too much for the berry to come through and be noticed.

I would suggest against cooking your strawberries, because cooked strawberries taste a lot different than fresh. A few breweries I have talked to that make a strawberry beer have admitted that they occasionally have to add a bit of strawberry extract in order to make the flavor a little more noticeable as @SanPancho hinted.

Latest posts

Back