Fruit/spice additions to a quad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robotinc

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have 15 gallons of quad that has finished aging in a barrel. I plan to keg 5 gallons, bottle 5 gallons, and split the remaining 5 gallons into 3 gallon carboys. I want to add something to the carboys but other than plums I am drawing a blank. Any suggestions?

What yeast? What candi syrup? What kind of barrel? You want a complimentary flavor. Really though, a quad has so much going on, it really shouldnt need anything else, make sure whatever you add is actually going to support the beer and improve it.

That all said, fresh figs are still somewhat in season, how about them?

Bourbon barrel, dark candi syrup, I believe a d180 and a d90 per 5 gallons. Figs sound interesting. I've brewed with dates before which seem to give more sugar than flavor.

I ended up going pomegranate in one, and honey dates and vanilla in the other. Thanks all!

Last quad I did, during the boil I blackened some raisins in a pan with some wort. THen deglazed the pan with more wort and added everything back in. Great toffee dark fruit flavor. I know yours is already done and sitting, but you could do the same with some malt extract and just cool everything before adding

My Quad on Brett/dregs is one of the best beers I've made. So much so that the last batch I made ended up having 2 gallons on dregs and only 3 without.

Good question. I think it was mostly from Cuvee Rene Geuze. At 10-11% ABV, there wasn't much that Lacto or Pedio could do, but the Brett dried it out and added some complexity. We did a side-by-side tasting of the regular and Brett versions to taste the difference. I think most people preferred the Brett version, with one guy saying it tasted "more Belgian."

Back