Fruit in secondary question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BudNini

Reaction score
I use buckets for my primary so it’s easy to put fruit in mesh bags to ferment,but how in the world do you put fruit in narrow mouth carboys after racking ? When you rack to secondary aren’t you suppose to fill carboy with no head space? I am brain dead on this and need help. This is probably very easy but for the life of me I can’t figure it out.
I forgot to add that I want to still use mesh bag in secondary,is this possible?

Last edited:
well i only do 1-2 gallon batches and i put the fruit in first then purge the jug with Co2 then rack the mead.
what fruit are you using? I have used blueberries and they went in no problem :)
my sour beer i used cherries and needed to cut them in half to get them in the 5g carboy neck.
i leave like an inch before the bung and that has Co2 over it and once in awhile i will add more Co2
cheers

well i only do 1-2 gallon batches and i put the fruit in first then purge the jug with Co2 then rack the mead.
what fruit are you using? I have used blueberries and they went in no problem :)
my sour beer i used cherries and needed to cut them in half to get them in the 5g carboy neck.
i leave like an inch before the bung and that has Co2 over it and once in awhile i will add more Co2
cheers
[/QUOTE I dont want to put any fruits in the mead with out the mesh bags ,so I guess I will just put fruits in primary bucket With mesh and call it a day lol.
Thank you Harleybrew32

I don’t want to put fruits in mead without mesh bags so I guess I will just put fruit in primary with mesh bag.
thank you Harleybrew32

72 year old brain ain’t working too good today lol

Another option for with a mesh bag would be to get a wide mouth fermenter if secondary is your preference. I prefer Big Mouth Bubblers' but there are a couple of other options on the market.

Back