Fruit in secondary..oxygen concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q2XL

Reaction score
I am in the process of making a multi berry melomel. I am about ready to add my 2nd addition of fruit to the secondary. I used a mesh bag in the primary and just made sure to push the bag down 1 or 2 times a day. I wasn't worried about adding oxygen because of the fermentation going on.

So, how should I go about it with the fruit in the secondary? Do I need to punch the cap down 1 or 2 times a day like I had to do with the primary? My biggest concern is adding oxygen. Any thoughts on this and how many of you would use a mesh bag with these fruits...blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and cherries?

The fruit should sink pretty quick in the secondary - the must is lighter because of the alcohol, and there won't be much CO2 coming out to push it up....

Not to hijack the thread but I had similar question and was wondering if you'd see fermentation kick back up with the sugars from the fruit?

Oxygenation in meads is somewhat of a mystery to me what with all the additions in the secondary, degassing, etc...is it as big of a concern as it is in beer??

Oxygenation in meads is somewhat of a mystery to me what with all the additions in the secondary, degassing, etc...is it as big of a concern as it is in beer??

No.
It is much more difficult to cause oxidative damage to meads. Still, once the fermentation is over, it is best to keep it protected from oxygen exposure to discourage acetic acid bacteria and other spoilage organisms.

Medsen

Back